Post by Guest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 pm

OldManBones wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 pm
Guest wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:59 am
Charlar wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 am

I can't think of anyone that managed, is it even possible
Sure, if you're a clever writer that has passion for what you do and aren't doing it for quick e-bucks and e-fame or to create a portfolio for yourself to show off to companies and for no other reason than that.
I'm pretty sure if one was an actual clever writer with passion they probably wouldn't be abridging dumb anime series in the first place.
And that's the point.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: TFS got copyright struck again

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:48 pm

And that's also why they should stick to shorter animu. They're already autistic about the show they're abridging by necessity, and keeping this going for too long will awaken their inner weeb and cause them to meander all over the place and/or turn it into a fanfic.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:05 am

The thing is, DBZ is easy to abridge/mock. It's a goofy anime that sometimes tries to be serious and that only makes it easier to mock (Yugioh is, of course, even easier to mock because it takes itself way more serious). For them to take another shorter show and abridge it... probably too hard for them. Also, I think some of them did try other animes before, and they are terrible (one of them has a "Kampfer Abridged" that is just awful)

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:33 pm

The best abridged series was ghost stories anyway.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

drisko

Post by drisko » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 pm

The reason they don't do the shorter ones is because most of these people grew up on the longer running ones and that's what they want to do. Also, because those are the ones more easily recognised and therefore more popular. I've got a lot of good memories of waking up early and sitting down to watch these old cartoons, and because their seasons are something like 50 episodes, the cartoon blocks loved to run them because it would keep the kids coming back for the next episode for months.

I think the formula Disney worked out was once a show reaches 65 episodes, you can just rerun it five days a week and after three months it'll feel like a fresh episode for the kids, so that's when they cancelled their cartoons to save money.

PassTheRemote
Goon

Post by PassTheRemote » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 am

drisko wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 pm
The reason they don't do the shorter ones is because most of these people grew up on the longer running ones and that's what they want to do. Also, because those are the ones more easily recognised and therefore more popular. I've got a lot of good memories of waking up early and sitting down to watch these old cartoons, and because their seasons are something like 50 episodes, the cartoon blocks loved to run them because it would keep the kids coming back for the next episode for months.

I think the formula Disney worked out was once a show reaches 65 episodes, you can just rerun it five days a week and after three months it'll feel like a fresh episode for the kids, so that's when they cancelled their cartoons to save money.
65 Episodes was also the minimum amount needed for animated syndication. It helped it meant 5 eps a week for 13 weeks, you'd only rerun each ep 4 times in a year. Also with syndication, the money is in the markets syndicating it, so it's more profitable to only make 65 and go to the next series. If they keep syndicating, you get money for years without having to do any work.

I know this is old, but still, 90 minutes for DBZA? Knowing where they are, that finale needs to be no longer than 30 minutes, like the other season finales they've done. They don't need 90 minutes, they are trying to pivot from abridging the series to being a fandub company.

drisko

Post by drisko » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:12 am

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again: They need to have the Cell Jrs, 16 dying, Gohan going super saiyan 2, 18 getting regurgitated, Cell blowing up King Kai's planet, Cell coming back and trouncing the saiyans, the father/son kamehameha wave, Gohan winning the fight, Satan taking credit for killing Cell, using the dragon balls to revive everyone, Goku saying goodbye, Trunks saying goodbye then going back to his own timelines, and the Trunks killing the androids and Cell.

That's way too much for 30 minutes. The problem is they didn't organise themselves earlier, did we really need a whole episode dedicated to Hercule that lead up to him being bitch-slapped into a mountain? No, they easily could have cut that. At this point, Gohan should be going Super Saiyan 2, then I think you could wrap it up in under 40 minutes.

Though thinking about it, I reckon I know why Kaiser wants to put a hold on the episode. So one of the big sticking points a lot of people have with DBZA is the relationship between Goku and Gohan, specifically all the jokes about how Goku is a terrible father and Gohan has no respect for him and doesn't even really seem to like him. Now TFS usually defend this with the whole "It's a parody, we're just doing an exaggeration" except there's a point where a joke is told so many times it just becomes a character trait. Especially after the last special ended with Chichi wanting a divorce and after that terrible wife beating joke, someone in the crowd just says "fuck Goku."

Now these fuckers take this whole thing very seriously, to them it's a passion project and they've tried to make it a 'legitimate adaptation' instead of a parody. They even invented some back story for 16. But the problem is one of the most iconic moments in DBZ is the father/son kamehameha wave, Goku's spirit standing beside Gohan as the torch is passed, encouraging him to step up to the plate and finish the fight. But at this point, the audience would never buy that in DBZA. Their Goku is a selfish man-child and their Gohan hates him. They even had a game series where Gohan delights in his father's suffering.

There was a reddit thread Kaiser linked to on twitter where he mentioned being worried he might have gone too far. The thread was pretty much about what I just said. My theory is it was enough of a wake up call for him to realise the joke had gone too far to come back from... except now, his solution seems to be to put the thing on hold for so long the audience will eventually grow tired of waiting and forget it was ever a thing.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 pm

That's why Yugioh Abridged, despite being made by a cuck, is superior to DBZ Abridged: LittleKuriboh simply cannot take Yugioh seriously (who can, really?), so he just ramps it up with no concerns about keeping it somewhat on par with the anime.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:03 pm

drisko wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:12 am
They even invented some back story for 16.
In the always 'to be fair' sense, that's actually official canon. As in, 16 is made to look like Dr. Gero's son, who was an officer in the RR Army. If I'm remembering right, DBZA had Goku be the one who killed him, which isn't the case officially, though he was killed in action.

That said, it's either a Word of God or a throwaway line in the manga level of thing.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:59 pm

I can't recall that ever reading in the manga. Gero was the only one with any sort of backstory. Must be a Super thing or whatever.
Le Redditeur wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 pm
That's why Yugioh Abridged, despite being made by a cuck, is superior to DBZ Abridged: LittleKuriboh simply cannot take Yugioh seriously (who can, really?), so he just ramps it up with no concerns about keeping it somewhat on par with the anime.
If you take YGO seriously you have already lost. That's the biggest trap card out there.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette