Team Fag Star

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Re: TFS got copyright struck again

Post by Charlar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Le Redditeur wrote:
Osterzone wrote:
Charlar wrote:How do they not get in trouble since it'snow practically a dub now?
They have something of a business agreement with Funimation. They can keep making DBZ Abridged as long as they don't monetize the episodes. In return, Funi gives them advanced copies of whatever new Dragonball games and merch to promote on their channel.
Didn't they dubbed some characters as DLC for a DBZ game? I remember reading something about this elsewhere.
Lani, Taka and Kaiser did voice acting for both Xenoverse 1 and 2 with them being male voices 15, 8 and 12 respectively and i read that Funimation did tfs in certain of their products
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:35 am

Its' one of those things where Funimation can't officially use them or say they condone what they do. While Funimation doesn't care about TFS, I'm pretty sure Toei does, and Toei never had this friendly 'gentlemen's agreement' in place. And, as the original right holders, Toei can do whatever the fuck they want, especially since TFS broke any sort of fair-use the second they sold Vegeta T-shirts.
There ya go. Outright example of copyright theft. No gray area, no legal wiggle room.
https://sharkrobot.com/products/i-am-the-hype
This shirt being sold means TFS is legally fucked if Toei ever decided to lay down the hammer, because 'not for profit parody' doesn't mean anything the second they sell a 'for-profit parody merchandise'.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:41 am

BenComicGraphics wrote:Its' one of those things where Funimation can't officially use them or say they condone what they do. While Funimation doesn't care about TFS, I'm pretty sure Toei does, and Toei never had this friendly 'gentlemen's agreement' in place. And, as the original right holders, Toei can do whatever the fuck they want, especially since TFS broke any sort of fair-use the second they sold Vegeta T-shirts.
There ya go. Outright example of copyright theft. No gray area, no legal wiggle room.
https://sharkrobot.com/products/i-am-the-hype
This shirt being sold means TFS is legally fucked if Toei ever decided to lay down the hammer, because 'not for profit parody' doesn't mean anything the second they sell a 'for-profit parody merchandise'.
To be fair they dropped the "non-profit" part of the disclaimer a while ago, and now just call it "a fan-based parody". But you're right, Toei can actually send a CoD letter to them to stop selling that t-shirt, and they'll have to comply or get sued.

RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Post by RAPEMAN » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:53 am

Who?
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:03 pm

TFS likes to throw around the fact that their t shirts are ORIGINAL ART DO NOT STEAL and this qualifies as fair use.

Now we know a judge would say fuck off if it ever went to court, but toei would shoot themselves with that bad press, so I'm sure they just turn there head and focus on super.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Selling merch with someone else's IP on it is fair use now? Heh.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:07 pm

mad bum wrote:TFS likes to throw around the fact that their t shirts are ORIGINAL ART DO NOT STEAL and this qualifies as fair use.

Now we know a judge would say fuck off if it ever went to court, but toei would shoot themselves with that bad press, so I'm sure they just turn there head and focus on super.
what bad press? That's the funny thing about this. People seem to think TFS, CA, etc, has so much popularity that if rights holders went after them, it'd be the equivalent of Cold War "Mutually Assured Destruction".

Here's a hint: 99% of the people that have watched DBZ don't know TFS exist. if Toei went after them, yeah, about 30,000 people(at MOST) will get loud and grumble, and make noise, and might even have a Kotaku article published(and with how great Gawker is at interpreting the law.... sic), but after 2 weeks? Nobody would care.

Osterzone

Post by Osterzone » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Toei also owns the rights to the yugioh anime. Remember the backlash they got from flagging LittleKuriboh's shit? I didn't either

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Besides: What kind of internet shitstorm could there possibly be about a company taking legal actions against someone who sells merch with their stuff on it? You usually have to buy a license to do that.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Tfs is like CA, they got somewhat popular when a niche was new and they started thinking they were more than whzt they are
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes