Team Fag Star

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Re: TFS got copyright struck again

Post by Le Redditeur » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:50 am

Charlar wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:22 am
What is better in theory in MTG a better deck: Red and White or Black and Green?
Green and Black are the colors of Dredge, one of the top 3 stupidest, broken game mechanics of the game. So, I'd go with that particular combination.

(the other stupid, broken mechanics are, in no particular order, Affinity for Artifacts and Storm - caused mass bans on every format they ever shown their ugly heads)

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:28 am

Le Redditeur wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:50 am
Charlar wrote:
What is better in theory in MTG a better deck: Red and White or Black and Green?
Green and Black are the colors of Dredge, one of the top 3 stupidest, broken game mechanics of the game. So, I'd go with that particular combination.

(the other stupid, broken mechanics are, in no particular order, Affinity for Artifacts and Storm - caused mass bans on every format they ever shown their ugly heads)
What bans, let alone mass bans, did Affinity cause in Legacy or Vintage? Skullclamp doesn't count, that card was a problem in and of itself.

For that matter, the Affinity for Artifacts ability itself was relatively innocuous even in the formats that did result in bannings. The real problems were cards like Cranial Plating, Arcbound Ravager, and the artifact lands. Even if all of the cards that said "Affinity for artifacts" on them weren't around, those other cards I listed still would have been incredibly powerful and would've likely warranted some amount of bannings in Standard, if perhaps not as many as actually happened. In fact, as far as I can remember, no card that actually has the ability "Affinity for Artifacts" was banned in any format.

Heck, most of the so-called "Affinity" decks nowadays in Modern and Legacy don't play a single card in them that has the "Affinity for Artifacts" ability, though they do run the aforementioned Cranial Plating/Arcbound Ravager/artifact lands. Which might be why a while ago there was an attempt to retitle the deck as Robots, but that never really caught on. Still, I think the evidence goes against the idea that "Affinity for Artifacts" was actually a problem.

I think Delve would've been a much better pick than Affinity for Artifacts.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 am
I can immediately think of a Tarmogoyf deck that's build around dredge and Experiment One.
Power equal to the number of different card types in all graveyards? That sounds like a bitch to keep track of outside of video games.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

drisko

Post by drisko » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 am
Huh, okay then. I've never watched much of the show. It always annoyed me that a) when some twelve year old faggot kidnaps your friend you don't play cards with him, you knock the cunt out or get the police and b) the fuckers are cheating like crazy.
"Haha, very well, but what you didn't expect was THIS card!", says Yugi before even drawing the card. How did you know what card you were to draw, Yugi, you topdecking, slight of hand son of a bitch cheater?
The whole "You've got to believe in the heart of the cards." talk became a meme in our Magic group whenever one didn't draw what they needed.
They actually explained it at the end of the show, or maybe I misinterpretted it, but it makes sense to me. Basically, whenever they talk about a powerful player, what they mean is someone who can draw what card they need by, somehow, using the 'heart of the cards' to convince the deck to give them the card. As in, the deck loves them so much that with the power of friendship it magically gives them the card they need for that turn, without shuffling.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 am

drisko wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Huh, okay then. I've never watched much of the show. It always annoyed me that a) when some twelve year old faggot kidnaps your friend you don't play cards with him, you knock the cunt out or get the police and b) the fuckers are cheating like crazy.
"Haha, very well, but what you didn't expect was THIS card!", says Yugi before even drawing the card. How did you know what card you were to draw, Yugi, you topdecking, slight of hand son of a bitch cheater?
The whole "You've got to believe in the heart of the cards." talk became a meme in our Magic group whenever one didn't draw what they needed.
They actually explained it at the end of the show, or maybe I misinterpretted it, but it makes sense to me. Basically, whenever they talk about a powerful player, what they mean is someone who can draw what card they need by, somehow, using the 'heart of the cards' to convince the deck to give them the card. As in, the deck loves them so much that with the power of friendship it magically gives them the card they need for that turn, without shuffling.
Well that's fucking stupid but i didn't expect better from Yougaybro
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 am

And that's not even going into how Yugi is a dirty cheater because of his eternal tag-team buddy.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Vaporwear

Post by Vaporwear » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:11 am

Charlar wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 am
drisko wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Well that's fucking stupid but i didn't expect better from Yougaybro
I think that was something introduced in the American dub of the show. I never watched the Japanese version, and never will cause it's s glorified commercial about a group of shitheads playing fucking cardgames and I'm not 12 anymore, but the American version is butchered as Hell to make it as kid friendly as possible, including adding concepts like "Heart of the Cards", which is a cheesy and nonsensical way of saying kids should believe in friendship and their own abilities. "You just have to believe in your friends, that's going to help you win in a cardgame somehow!"

I quit midway into Battle City cause it was pretty much just repeating the earlier arc, and watching two people yell at each other about how they were going to win by massively cheating was getting boring. I was honestly hoping real monsters were gonna show up for the Battle City arc, but instead no, it's just more card playing with over the top platforms and holograms. Yawn.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 am

They real monsters would've probably started playing the card game, anyways.
-Yours Truly

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:35 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
How did you know what card you were to draw, Yugi, you topdecking, slight of hand son of a bitch cheater?
This quote is funnier that it should be. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:28 am
Le Redditeur wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:50 am
Charlar wrote:

What bans, let alone mass bans, did Affinity cause in Legacy or Vintage? Skullclamp doesn't count, that card was a problem in and of itself.

For that matter, the Affinity for Artifacts ability itself was relatively innocuous even in the formats that did result in bannings. The real problems were cards like Cranial Plating, Arcbound Ravager, and the artifact lands. Even if all of the cards that said "Affinity for artifacts" on them weren't around, those other cards I listed still would have been incredibly powerful and would've likely warranted some amount of bannings in Standard, if perhaps not as many as actually happened. In fact, as far as I can remember, no card that actually has the ability "Affinity for Artifacts" was banned in any format.

Heck, most of the so-called "Affinity" decks nowadays in Modern and Legacy don't play a single card in them that has the "Affinity for Artifacts" ability, though they do run the aforementioned Cranial Plating/Arcbound Ravager/artifact lands. Which might be why a while ago there was an attempt to retitle the deck as Robots, but that never really caught on. Still, I think the evidence goes against the idea that "Affinity for Artifacts" was actually a problem.

I think Delve would've been a much better pick than Affinity for Artifacts.
Well, maybe not in Vintage and Legacy (since there are enough artifact-hate in these formats), but just look at the Modern/Standard/Mirrodin block banlists and you'll find half of the Affinity deck is there - the artifact lands, Arcbound Ravager, Disciple of the Vault, Cranial Plating, etc. I got the current banlist and I counted - Mirrodin block as twenty cards on the banlist, 6 more cards than the Urza block. And all the banned cards are cards Affinity ran.

Affinity was a degenerate mechanic because it made the game very much like Yugioh - you don't have to pay for anything you're casting anymore. Atog + Disciple of the Vault was the first win condition, then Arcbound Ravager provided an ever better substitute for Atog, then Cranial Plating + Ornithopter/Somber Overguard, then they basically gave up on trying to balance Affinity for Artifacts, and in the new Mirrodin block they came with a different form of Affinity that isn't nearly as good.

I wouldn't say Delve is worse than Affinity because I can think of only two cards that abused it - Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. Of course, they abused it hard, that's why they're banned everywhere but Vintage (they're still restricted there), but the mechanic on itself has the same potential of wrecking the game (mana cost reduction). Magic is balanced towards mana costs, and whatever card or mechanic that changes that is a potential disaster.

If I had to rank mechanics on a scale of how bad to the game they were, Dredge would win, hands down. It's such a hateful little stupid mechanic. Storm would come next, because playing against a Storm deck when it goes off is just a miserable experience (reminds me of the worst days of playing against Tolarian decks), and Affinity would come in third.
Poonoo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:35 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
How did you know what card you were to draw, Yugi, you topdecking, slight of hand son of a bitch cheater?
This quote is funnier that it should be. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's also, if I'm not mistaken, surprisingly in canon - the Millennium Puzzle's ability is supposed to have something to do with "manipulating fate", which is a nice way of topdecking on demand if you're an amoral Egyptian pharaoh that has nothing better to do with this amazing power.