da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movieblob

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:45 pm
Any small increase in expense or dev time is going to be an additional cost that the business could avoid by not launching on the GC and going with a PS2 or Xbox instead. Even just the extra few cents or whatever to manufacture twice as many discs at the smaller size rather than using standard-sized discs would increase costs.
The whole point of using the mini discs was that they were much cheaper to manufacture and much cheaper to use because they didn't have to pay the DVD Forum (which included companies like Sony) for licensing, which they would have if they'd used standard DVDs. As for expense or increase in development time, it doesn't cost anything to cut kahntent.
The "mini" aspect had fuck nothing to do with DVD licensing. Like I said before 8cm was already a DVD standard at the time. The discs were written and read from the outer edge to the inner edge which is the opposite of DVD spec. That's what set them apart. They could have done the exact same thing only with 12cm discs and been ok - which they finalli did with the Wii.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Whatever. The point was that because Gamecube discs weren't proper DVDs or whatever but rather Nintendo's own proprietary format, they didn't have to pay anybody to use the format which meant that it was overall much cheaper than just using regular DVD
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Movieblob

Post by Movieblob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Look at this shit tho

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:40 pm

>Direct linking Blob
WebM that shit
>Ten minutes of this shit
>Part 1

If only he'd dedicate this much time and effort into figuring out how he's going to fix his life
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Keith, I don't know enough to say if you're correct or not, I just remember hearing developers bitch (I think in gayming articles or something) about making games for the Gamecube back in the day.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Fair enough
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Roker wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am
MY MOON WHEAT!
Fairy tale shit like the whole "muh 6 million genders" crap? As the typical lefty shit he is he doesn't understand that progress just for the sake of it isn't any. What is there to gain from living on the moon? Why would anyone terraform it? The effort and costs are just plain not worth it.
Throughout the history of mankind it has always been the case that anything new is only done for two reasons: Profit or militaristic strategical value. Other than that, nothing, not even the possible, is done.

Bonus points for "it's [current year]" being used again as the world's dumbest argument.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Lol I read it as Mars. Terraforming the Moon is even dumber: No atmosphere, no natural water, very little gravity, and probably not a whole lot of resources aside from rocks I guess.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Rocks and probably metals.

Planets and stars are so far away from the Earth that it'd take forever to do anything. Maybe a hugely rich corporation could do some mining on one of the closest planets, eventually.

Messing with the moon could also fuck up the tides, cue Bill O'Reilly.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:54 pm
As the typical lefty shit he is he doesn't understand that progress just for the sake of it isn't any. What is there to gain from living on the moon? Why would anyone terraform it? The effort and costs are just plain not worth it.
If some kind of catastrophe occurred that left Earth somehow uninhabitable (like, I don't know, giant asteroid or something) then a successfully terraformed moon would be a possible place to keep the human race going. That would be the biggest possible incentive, I would think.

Of course, that is a whole lot of cost and efforts devoted to trying to accomplish something that might not be possible to begin with, depends on what appears to be a massively unlikely hypothetical of humanity needing to leave Earth, and requires that whatever causes the Earth to be uninhabitable wouldn't also affect the moon. Mars would be a better option as it being farther away from the Earth increases the likelihood that any kind of Earth-ending disaster wouldn't also affect it, plus it's more Earth-like in terms of size so gravity, while still considerably weaker, would be more Earth-like than on the moon. Of course, Mars is also much farther away which means any attempts to colonize/terraform it would be much harder.

I think I put far more thought into this than Moviebob did.