Movieblob

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movieblob

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:51 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:18 pm
you have to develop games from the ground up for the fucking minidiscs (and split your game into multiple discs) = harder to develop for = fewer games.
No you don't. This is literally the difference between putting a movie on a single-layer DVD and putting it on a dual-layer DVD. Or, if you like, putting a movie on DVD vs putting it on a Blu-Ray, assuming both have the same specs
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:51 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:18 pm
you have to develop games from the ground up for the fucking minidiscs (and split your game into multiple discs) = harder to develop for = fewer games.
No you don't. This is literally the difference between putting a movie on a single-layer DVD and putting it on a dual-layer DVD. Or, if you like, putting a movie on DVD vs putting it on a Blu-Ray, assuming both have the same specs
Designing your game so you have to put it on two discs would be annoying if you are trying to make an RPG, and it would lead to you needing to have many assets used again for each disc, meaning that it was also inefficient using double the space for certain assets like character models. Though it does depend on the game, open world games would have been impossible to make on the gamecube since it needs to be seamless, and with GTA 3 making those games popular at the time the Gamecube would have been a pain for that.

Though I get your point, in terms of actually coding the game and having it run well the discs don't make a difference. You just have to compress the shit out of everything or change the structure of your game where it can work with another disc. With linear games that's easy, but making games was difficult from a design perspective, not so much a programming one.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:45 pm

Any small increase in expense or dev time is going to be an additional cost that the business could avoid by not launching on the GC and going with a PS2 or Xbox instead. Even just the extra few cents or whatever to manufacture twice as many discs at the smaller size rather than using standard-sized discs would increase costs.

Add to that the gamecube/Nintendo not really supporting third-party devs (with marketing, advertising etc), outside of a few rare games like Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur II.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:52 pm

I don't get how using mini discs was meant to do anything to deter piracy. They still used a standard size media, 8cm. DVD-Rs that size were just as ubiquitous as full size discs by then.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:45 pm
Any small increase in expense or dev time is going to be an additional cost that the business could avoid by not launching on the GC and going with a PS2 or Xbox instead. Even just the extra few cents or whatever to manufacture twice as many discs at the smaller size rather than using standard-sized discs would increase costs.
The whole point of using the mini discs was that they were much cheaper to manufacture and much cheaper to use because they didn't have to pay the DVD Forum (which included companies like Sony) for licensing, which they would have if they'd used standard DVDs. As for expense or increase in development time, it doesn't cost anything to cut content.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 am

I didn't like San Andreas either because of the ghetto shit. I love me some mob stuff but usually can't stand gangster shit because they are usually handled as if the writer wanted to create the dumbest dipshits possible. I like my crime organization scheming and planning, not fight over who owns da crib.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:13 pm
What other difficulties can you run into with a disc-based storage medium aside from running out of space?
Loading times. Especially when the system doesn't have much or good memory, you'll have to account for them and make sure the player doesn't have to sit through too many loading screens too often.
Otherwise you've got the issue of wear and tear. Disks are fragile things and optical disk drives absolutely love to break all the time.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Joe Roscoe

Post by Joe Roscoe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 am

So Bob makes a video about how relationships are bad because he's an expert on that subject clearly

drisko

Post by drisko » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am

Interesting that in the opening line, he talks about a dude sending dick pics, and says he considers it harmless flirting, later saying it's part of a healthy sex drive.

Though I think I know what motivated this hatred towards marriage. This was made the year he turned 30. He was still living with his parents and probably had no prospects in his love life aside from his Princess Peach body pillow. Now you could point out that six years later not much has changed aside from him allegedly moving out into a one-room basement apartment, but when you're thirty, you take a long hard look at your life because all the excuses about being young start to go out the fucking window.

He is going to have a fucking melt down when he turns 40 and he's still in the same boat.

Roker

Post by Roker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am

MY MOON WHEAT!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Every trace of your DNA will have left the gene pool long ago before we can even think about terraforming.
Poonoo wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:37 pm
Designing your game so you have to put it on two discs would be annoying if you are trying to make an RPG, and it would lead to you needing to have many assets used again for each disc, meaning that it was also inefficient using double the space for certain assets like character models. Though it does depend on the game, open world games would have been impossible to make on the gamecube since it needs to be seamless, and with GTA 3 making those games popular at the time the Gamecube would have been a pain for that.
Didn't every Final Fantasy for the PS1 come on 4 discs?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 am
Loading times. Especially when the system doesn't have much or good memory, you'll have to account for them and make sure the player doesn't have to sit through too many loading screens too often.
This just reminds me of Sonic 06 again. Good times.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette