The Skeptic Community

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Just Some Random Guy

Re: The Skeptic Community

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:45 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:37 pm
Monetization for everyone was the biggest mistake YT ever made.
No, I honestly think that--at least for YouTube--it was a brilliant move, because it brought in a lot more money for them. Previously, everyone outside of their select group were costing them money for bandwidth while bringing in no revenue for YouTube, but now a lot more of them are getting money for YouTube. I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if they were getting more money via monetization from the random shmucks with 100 views on their videos than from their top earners, because while the random shmucks might not be making much money, there's a lot of random shmucks. And YouTube won't pay you until you've made $100 in ad revenue since your last check from them, meaning that for anyone who doesn't get $100 (which is most), YouTube doesn't even have to pay them their cut for the advertising and gets to keep it all. I know they're still having trouble turning a profit, but they'd be a lot worse off if they didn't offer monetization to everyone.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 am
YouTube is trying to become Netflix with YouTube Red, buying movies, renting movies etc but none of that shit is working because people don't associate YT with paying for videos and "paid" YT also drives a really shitty bargain compared to other streaming services.
Looking back, I think YouTube should have gone for a premium subscription model with benefits for the video uploader, sort of like places like Podbean or Soundcloud for podcasts. For quite a while, they limited you to 10-minute videos. Eventually they removed that restriction because they were the only ones that low, but if they had earlier on jumped on the premium subscription for removing restrictions like that (as well as possibly offering other benefits like your videos being more promoted), it might have been able to work. It's obviously too late to try to do something like that now, though.

RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Post by RAPEMAN » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:27 am

Even if they did that they would still eventually have the problem of having advertisers wanting their ads pulled from videos talking negatively about Islam or people blowing shit up in their back yards. Surprisingly they demonetized anyone with the name atheist in their titles, too. I guess America still isn't past the atheist scare, yet.
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:41 am

I don't think it's so much that burgers are scared of atheists, as that advertisers want to avoid controversy and atheist youtube videos tend to inflame passions. That and I suppose there might be some element of the burgeropolis that still gets assharmed by the mention of atheism.

Advertisers are simultaneously more liberal and more conservative than the public, depending on the situation. Something that promotes "love" "equality" "peace" and gets lots of good press? They'll be liberal out the ass for that shit. But something even slightly controversial, like atheist sperge videos, and I wouldn't be surprised if they turned conservative. If being an atheist youtube sperge were seen as positively as being homosexual, then businesses would be all on board.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

wildmage

Post by wildmage » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 am

Admen are on the same lines as the vatican: they won't move a leg until they are 100% sure that the other 3 legs are on the ground (or maybe I'm thinking of an elephant?).

Controversy is a drop of baileys on your product, it taints everything and you better disregard the notion that all publicity is good publicity. Remember how fast Milo was dropped when he was pro kidydiddling? Mind you, he was marketed around being an edgelord and even still he was canned.

So in the end, you can take this test: is it a topic that you would start during a dinner party? If the answer is no and only the most hardcore autist will defend opening a discussion about it then you know what Don Draper will never touch.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:45 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:37 pm
Monetization for everyone was the biggest mistake YT ever made.
No, I honestly think that--at least for YouTube--it was a brilliant move, because it brought in a lot more money for them.
Sure, for them it's likely good. But I don't like the effect it had on the video landscape.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

asdf

Post by asdf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:19 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:41 am
advertisers want to avoid controversy and atheist youtube videos tend to inflame passions. That and I suppose there might be some element of the burgeropolis that still gets assharmed by the mention of atheism.
I would hazard a guess that it's more along the lines of the fact that most of the youtube atheists are some of the most smug pricks I've ever seen in my life. I wouldn't want my stuff advertised on a Thunderfoot video where he says, "God doesn't exist, here's why, also your life is in shambles compared to me, look at this completely irrelevant scientific project I've been doing and feel bad." I'd rather advertise on Joe Schmoe's video where he basically says, "I don't believe in any form of god and here's why, but you can believe whatever you want, just be open minded."

Granted, a good portion of the ultra-religious channels are hosted by the same type of people so that's not saying much. I wouldn't want to advertise on Preacher Paul's video where he does the Atheist schtick except reversed and instead of a scientific project he talks about his, "smokin' hot wife," or something, either.

Joe Roscoe

Post by Joe Roscoe » Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Well since the Skeptical Feminist incident, Thunderf00t is quitting the skeptic community due to the reaction from the skeptic community over the Skeptic Feminist stuff, mostly at Miscarriage of Acchild

Mr. Saoirse Ronan

Post by Mr. Saoirse Ronan » Sun May 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Whatever eventually leads to ShoeOnHead sucking cock on camera can only be a good thing.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sun May 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Skeptic Community? More like Sceptic Community!
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

CommieCatGirl
Goon

Post by CommieCatGirl » Sun May 21, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm skeptical that there's a single one of them who can manage to be both heterosexual and a normal, healthy weight.