Andrew Dobson

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Andrew Dobson

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:02 pm

If Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, two vastly superior shows, didn't make more people nihilistic, I doubt Reddit and Memey will.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm

There are kids that let a cartoon influence their whole life. Those kids will strive to become a cartoon character themselves. We call that kind of kid "autist" and Dobbo is one of them. Who is he talking to anyway? This last page of replies is the most attention he gets these days.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm
There are kids that let a cartoon influence their whole life. Those kids will strive to become a cartoon character themselves. We call that kind of kid "autist" and Dobbo is one of them. Who is he talking to anyway? This last page of replies is the most attention he gets these days.
Kids and manchildren who have never learned how to grow up.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Instead of becoming nihilists, the kiddies should be like Dobson and arrogantly share their opinions on things they know nothing about only to get BTFO and backpedal.

Making the world a better place!

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Joe Roscoe wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:39 am
This is what Dobson actually believes in :roll:

https://foxdickfarms.net/attachments/img_9229-jpg.282011/
So a generation of Dobsons and Moviebobs?
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Pretty much. It's Dobbo the Clown that "rebels" against the status quo, trying to convince everyone that being "progressive" is the way to go.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 pm

drisko wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:12 pm
Bringing it back on topic, just like Dobson. "I'm super feminist, but ignore all those women who say Metroid: Other M, Sucker Punch and Avengers 2 are sexist, because I like them and that means they're actually empowering and not sexist at all."
If I recall correctly, Moviebob tried to defend Samus's portrayal in Other M by claiming that Samus was supposed to be a "stoic" character.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:03 am

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 pm
drisko wrote:
Bringing it back on topic, just like Dobson. "I'm super feminist, but ignore all those women who say Metroid: Other M, Sucker Punch and Avengers 2 are sexist, because I like them and that means they're actually empowering and not sexist at all."
If I recall correctly, Moviebob tried to defend Samus's portrayal in Other M by claiming that Samus was supposed to be a "stoic" character.
Fucking what?! Yeah she is stoic in OTHER Metroid games, there was NOTHING stoic in that pile of shit!
I want beat him to dead with my bare hands, i had an awful day (I have to wear a air tight cast) so i am not tolerating him
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:29 am

Charlar wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:03 am
Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 pm
drisko wrote:
Fucking what?! Yeah she is stoic in OTHER Metroid games, there was NOTHING stoic in that pile of shit!
I want beat him to dead with my bare hands, i had an awful day (I have to wear a air tight cast) so i am not tolerating him
I'm sorry, I re-watched the video and realized I was wrong on that; totally wrong, in fact.

His argument is actually sort of the opposite. Essentially, he claims that people saw Samus as stoic, and then when she wasn't portrayed as such in Other M, they thought it was out of character. His counterargument (after going into a pointless speech about how people misuse the term stoic) is that Samus was never stoic, she just was never developed as a character, and thus it's wrong to complain about that. The reason this is stupid is because the primary complaint wasn't that it was dissonant with her earlier depictions, but that the depiction in Other M was, simply put, bad (which Moviebob sees as making her into a "three-dimensional character" and yes those are his exact words).

So, again, I want to apologize for incorrectly depicting Moviebob's argument. His actual argument, while still stupid, was stupid for completely different reasons.

And, since I actually watched his video because I apparently hate myself, here are some comments about other dumb things in it:
-As you might have expected, he completely strawmans all the complaints about the story and characterizations. I already noted the above, but he also apparently thinks people got upset just because Samus was taking orders from a guy, so naturally he's able to dismiss that because it's easy to dismiss what's made of straw. But what's really bewildering is that he presents the complaints in the form of a character he names "Strawman." Yes, he actually calls his strawman Strawman. Ordinarily one could try to think of it as a joke (i.e. that the arguments he was debunking were legitimate ones, not a strawman), but like I said, the "Strawman" is an actual strawman so he can knock down criticisms more easily.
-He claims the gameplay is "great" (highly debatable) and goes so far as to declare it better than that of the Prime series. And while this sort of thing is a bit subjective, he doesn't really offer a legitimate argument for this outside of him just being tired of FPS's.
-Remember how everyone thought it was really stupid that the setup was Samus has access to all of the weaponry, but only uses them after being given approval, particularly in that situation where she doesn't activate the heat protection until given permission, even when going through an area where the heat could easily kill her without it? Moviebob dismisses that as just an irrelevant gameplay change, ignoring the larger problem with it, namely that it makes everyone, especially Samus, look like an idiot.
-Not related to the content, really, but I've forgotten just how much Bob needed an editor. Not only does he blather on far longer than is necessary (for example, a minute is needlessly spent on the definition of "stoic"), he even puts text onto the screen to say more unnecessary stuff. It's like if someone wrote a book that was already padded, and then put in a bunch of stuff in the margins just to add more to it.
-One of his defenses for the game was that it was a "risk." For an example, he claiming Bioshock was a "risk" because of the dramatically different setting from System Shock 2. Yes, let's ignore the fact that, as Yahtzee said long ago, "the problem is, it isn't like System Shock 2, it is System Shock 2" because of just how similar the games are outside of the setting.

He had another video later on revisiting the topic, so maybe he clarified some things or backed off from some of his dumber points, but the 15 or so minutes I spent watching the above video were enough of Moviebob for me for a while, so I don't plan to watch it anytime soon.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:12 am

Let's just round this up real quick. The problems with M were:
- The gameplay wasn't as good as neither 2D Metroid nor Prime.
- Samus is a retard. Nobody likes to play a retard.
- It's effectively not her that gets the orders, it's the player. Just like Fusion (which is total shit fite me you faggots), it's the player that is being played off as a moron by the developer. There is zero in-universe reason for Samus to even remotely follow the word of some military fagshit. She's independent. She's the best bounty hunter there is and thus gets free reign. That is the single defining thing about her and that's not only taken away from her and the player, it's shat on in glorious detail by making her a tsundere bitch to some random nigger Bland McMilitary fucker. It's insulting on all levels - in-universe, for the character and for the player.

Other M is offensive as a person that likes vidya. It spits in your face and gives Samus the worst kind of character development. It's, rightfully as fuck, not canon and will be forgotten as that one pile of shit Metroid that shall not be mentioned.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!