Deals and Freebies

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Deals and Freebies

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:34 am

Turn-based stuff just... turns me on.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Turn based is pretty cool.

I like the original Rome: Total War and Medieval II, but my reflexes are usually too slow for RTS games in general. So turn-based is good for a pleb like me who can't react fast enough to what's happening.

My problem with TBS is that there are so few games I feel can stand up to the absolute top tier. On consoles, that'd be Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Everything else feels slow and shitty by comparison. The one other franchise I think is pretty good on consoles is Disgaea. It's a huge fucking grind, but the core of the game is fun and it is pretty deep and involved. I loved the shit out of Disgaea 2 on the ps2.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm the worst at Blizzard-style RTS games where you have to micro-manage dozens of units with different abilities you have to juggle around in realtime. Either make the units simpler like in Rise of Nations or Age of Empires, or make it squad-based like Dawn of War 2.

And Disgaea 2 is awesome. I know fans of the franchise like to talk shit about that game because they didn't like the story and characters, but I've played enough Nippon Ichi games to realize that nearly all of their characters are dumb as shit, annoying as hell, or both, and that the stories are often just an excuse for silly jokes and fights (with Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad being possible exceptions).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:44 pm

The stories were always pretty worthless. If they gave you a laugh here or there, that's all you could expect. It's a japanese anime game, so the characters are always annoying and shitty. Disgaea 2 was dope because of the gameplay. IMO the franchise hasn't meaningfully evolved since Disgaea 2 anyway, so there's no newer game that's so advanced that you HAVE to play that new game instead of D2. All of the games have "added" things, but usually it's features or options that you usually won't use. Like turning an ally into a weapon. I'd rather equip my characters with actual weapons instead.

Disgaea had a fun sense of humor about it in the gameplay department as well. Passing billth in the senate could be a pain, but it was also humorous and you could fight in the courtroom if you thought you could bully a bill through that way IIRC.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Felonies are also fun, especially the part where the court doesn't even give a shit whether or not the huge pile of characters you threw in there actually includes the felon.

And I'm actually curious about the Evility system from D3 and up, aka the ability to "equip" passive abilities and keep them between reincarnations. Makai Kingdom did a bit like that, except limited to stat and EXP growth.
-Yours Truly

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:20 pm
Turn based is pretty cool.

I like the original Rome: Total War and Medieval II, but my reflexes are usually too slow for RTS games in general. So turn-based is good for a pleb like me who can't react fast enough to what's happening.

My problem with TBS is that there are so few games I feel can stand up to the absolute top tier. On consoles, that'd be Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Everything else feels slow and shitty by comparison. The one other franchise I think is pretty good on consoles is Disgaea. It's a huge fucking grind, but the core of the game is fun and it is pretty deep and involved. I loved the shit out of Disgaea 2 on the ps2.
How do i get good at Total War games battles? I am ok at all other aspects but for some reason i can't manage battles
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:45 am

I usually just arrange a typical block formation of some kind and take the best ground. Cavalry should stay back and not commit themselves until you see the best place for them to be, or else you should use big piles of cavalry to fly in and out and decimate any weak-looking outlying enemy pockets. Sometimes 40 or so armored cavalry can take out a shitload of advancing enemies as long as you don't let them get mobbed by spears.

I typically don't advance unless the best ground is just ahead or I see that the enemy is not going to advance either. Retreating is much better because odds are good some good ground is behind you and retreating buys you the time to get everyone into position on it. Not having to run is also great because tired troops fight like shit.

Every Total War game is different as far as units go. Shogun 2 prioritizes foot troops and archers a lot more. You want big mobs of archers on all your bases because archers can decimate when defending your bases from even vastly superior numbers. Activate fire arrows and watch the enemies die from atop your ramparts. Archers aren't nearly as OP in army vs army battles because you have to position them correctly.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Mynameisnotimportant

Post by Mynameisnotimportant » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Disgaea with Laharl is best, especially DD2, but Disgaea 2 with Adell, Roz, and Yukimaru was a lot of fun too. Adell's positive attitude was heroic to me. I didn't really like D3 or D4 as much, Mao was a sniveling brat and there was too much Twilight in D4.

I'm having a blast with D5 though. I love the concept of let's gather Overlords to fight the baddest Overlord. The Revenge/Overload system is fun, Character World being a board game is kind of fun and makes it different from the Item World, squad system with a prisoner system where you can make the squads stronger with prisoners or beat them up to make them into magic extracts to make individual characters stronger is a choice each player can make, much improved innocent system (you can pluck innocents off of any item even locked ones and place them on another one except unique innocents, unlocked ones can be combined), quests that unlock as you progress, an exploration system where you can send characters you aren't using to other worlds to gain levels, items, prisoners, and fight overlords of the other worlds. I don't like Magi-change being back, I preferred the mount system in DD2 which made the monsters useful as they could protect the human riders.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 pm

I hope they get around to release the later Disgaea's on Steam. The features they add sound pretty fun.
Mynameisnotimportant wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 pm
Disgaea with Laharl is best, especially DD2, but Disgaea 2 with Adell, Roz, and Yukimaru was a lot of fun too. Adell's positive attitude was heroic to me. I didn't really like D3 or D4 as much, Mao was a sniveling brat and there was too much Twilight in D4.
I don't quite get why a lot of people hate Adell, seeing how I want to punch him far less in the face than Laharl. That annoying brat is nothing against Badass Freakin' Overlord Zetta.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Disgaea 2 is the best one, IMO. The thing about the characters in Disgaea 2 is that they're the least annoying. That might sound like faint praise, but it's high kudos to give to an anime game. There's nothing wrong with Adell. He's a pretty standard protagonist, but he's fine. His family are ok. Rozalin is a pretty fun character. Yukimaru's verbal tic is much less annoying than the ones in other Disgaea games, like SUPER and PLIP. Even the sardines gag in Disgaea 4 wears a bit thin sometimes.

The OG Disgaea has the best overworld/underworld theme and some fun characters, but it also has annoying shit in there. The voice acting is pretty dire and Laharl is a little shit. Flonne is not nearly as funny as the devs thought she would be.

Disgaea 2 also has some of my favorite classes, like the Samurai and Sinner.

Magichange is boring and lame. It's mostly there so enemies can spawn at the start of a map right next to some OP monster that perfectly suits their damage type, like spawning 6 mages next to 6 spirits so the spirits can turn into uberstaves for the mages to fuck your shit up with.
RAPEMAN wrote: