Telltale "Games"

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Telltale "Games"

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Fri May 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Yeah, I hate that trope as well. They are afraid that it would ruin the mood, and break the fourth wall, as if you couldn't work with the word being pronouced by characters.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm

This is extra funny if the movie in question has a "This is how a zombie apocalypse would really turn out" vibe to it.

Though thankfully this trope isn't spreading to other genres. Can you imagine some alien invasion movie where everyone avoids saying "aliens?". Or a vampire flick where the word "vampire" is haram?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri May 12, 2017 7:09 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm
This is extra funny if the movie in question has a "This is how a zombie apocalypse would really turn out" vibe to it.

Though thankfully this trope isn't spreading to other genres. Can you imagine some alien invasion movie where everyone avoids saying "aliens?". Or a vampire flick where the word "vampire" is haram?
Didn't they call the Aliens in the Alien series Xenomorphs?
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 12, 2017 7:23 pm

True, but if I remember correctly, the term is only used in a briefing scene in Aliens. Though who knows, maybe the Alien Extended Universe is all about xenomorph this and xenomorph that.

And it is always nice and inclusive to give alien species a name. They have feelings, too.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Charlar wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 7:09 pm
That's hardly the same, not even close. Alien is a general term, zombie is far more specific - also, alien is a franchise, but there are many, many other aliens featured in thousands of movies. So I'll cut them some slack with Xenomorphs, which I'm not even sure when they started to call them that, if they say that in Aliens, I can't remember either, I'm pretty sure it's not in first movie.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 pm
Charlar wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 7:09 pm
That's hardly the same, not even close. Alien is a general term, zombie is far more specific - also, alien is a franchise, but there are many, many other aliens featured in thousands of movies. So I'll cut them some slack with Xenomorphs, which I'm not even sure when they started to call them that, if they say that in Aliens, I can't remember either, I'm pretty sure it's not in first movie.
True but do they mention other aliens, i assume that's a possibility but i forgot
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 13, 2017 5:58 am

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
Zombie might be more specific, but the pop culture incarnation of the zombie has effectively become a modern mythological creature, much like the more standardized modern versions of vampires and werewolves. You just don't have a decaying bloke either slowly shamble or run like crazy at you without thinking "zombie".

And to my knowledge, the term was used exclusive to the second movie, and in a somewhat awkward scene at that:

Ripley: "Something something Xenomoprhs something..."
Soldier: "The fuck is a Xenomorph?!"
Ripley: "That's the name of the alien critters. Xenomoprh. It's actually copyrightable I think,"
Soldier: "No way I'm gonna use that term!"
Ripley: "Fine with me!"

This is of course just paraphrasing, but the point is that they were more concerned with giving the aliens a name than to actually use said name.

It's actually a much tamer version of when Games Workshop went completely insane with Age of Sigmar and gave generic units retarded names to make them copyright-able. I think zombies are now called Deathwalkers.
-Yours Truly

cernex

Post by cernex » Sat May 13, 2017 8:58 am

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
So I'll cut them some slack with Xenomorphs, which I'm not even sure when they started to call them that, if they say that in Aliens, I can't remember either, I'm pretty sure it's not in first movie.
It's the briefing scene, when Hudson (Bill Paxton, RIP :'C) asks if its going to be a "bug hunt". Instead of answering, Gorman says "A Xenomorph..." and Hudson says "it's a bug hunt."

Being fair, I love that movie, so I remember that.

BUT YES, they definitely call them that in Aliens.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Because it's the technical term for the aliens. It it not, however, used as a replacement term for all aliens, just for that specific species.
Unlike with zombies who are called something different wholesale, never even uttering the term zombie. Which is retarded and annoying because the replacement terms tend to be really stupid.
I'd be fine if they were to call them "undead". It works like calling the Xenomorph aliens as it's a blanket term. It would especially make sense if there weren't just zombies but also ghouls and maybe even liches.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 13, 2017 3:12 pm

They're Rotting Shamblers. The Revenants. The Trump Supporters.
-Yours Truly