Chrono Trigger is not just the best game ever. it might just be the best work of art ever.

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Chrono Trigger is not just the best game ever. it might just be the best work of art ever.

Post by mad bum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 am

I dunno, I guess chrono trigger is good, not even trolling its great and all but I don't see the constant fapping over it.

Chrono cross was a literal mess though, and music can only save a game so much.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Re: Chrono Trigger is not just the best game ever. it might just be the best work of art ever.

Post by Poonoo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 am

Pope Corky III wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:48 am
Vega wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 pm
The sequel was better.
Guest posting was a mistake.

Also, I didn't grow up with Chrono Trigger so nostalgia for me either but considering how fucking amazing it is it doesn't need any. How is it that so many people even have nostalgia for Chrono Trigger? I never saw it in rental stores and never even heard of it til many many years later.
It wasn't even released in PAL territories. I didn't even here about it until people talked about it on the internet.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Chrono_Trigger

Well there you go, under 300k sales in the USA. JRPGs in general were very niche in the west until FF7 came along.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:57 am

Poonoo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 am
Pope Corky III wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:48 am
Vega wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 pm
The sequel was better.
Guest posting was a mistake.

Also, I didn't grow up with Chrono Trigger so nostalgia for me either but considering how fucking amazing it is it doesn't need any. How is it that so many people even have nostalgia for Chrono Trigger? I never saw it in rental stores and never even heard of it til many many years later.
It wasn't even released in PAL territories. I didn't even here about it until people talked about it on the internet.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Chrono_Trigger

Well there you go, under 300k sales in the USA. JRPGs in general were very niche in the west until FF7 came along.
I mean I saw Final Fantasy II and III advertised and in rental stores,* a friend asked me to help him with the final boss of Secret of Mana and of course, there was the majesty that was Super Mario RPG. I just never heard of Chrono Trigger until way later.

*though I never tried III because it had a cat on the cover which was stupid, and not even in a cool "stupid yet compelling" way like old Mega Man box art.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 am

mad bum wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 am
I dunno, I guess chrono trigger is good, not even trolling its great and all but I don't see the constant fapping over it.

Chrono Cross... god, i remember that at the very least 2-3 times i had to stop playing midway through because tests or something, and when i came back i had no clue where i was or what i had to do... the game is super confusing.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 am

FuckSploony wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 am
mad bum wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 am

Chrono Cross... god, i remember that at the very least 2-3 times i had to stop playing midway through because tests or something, and when i came back i had no clue where i was or what i had to do... the game is super confusing.
It doesn't stand on it's own either, it's not good gameplay wise, and all i'll say about the story is that it reads like awful (more awful that he average ones) fanfiction even in the parts that have nothing to do with CT
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Mynameisnotimportant

Post by Mynameisnotimportant » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Chrono Trigger just has great art style and an absolutely ferocious sound track which just fits the moods of it eras and scenes perfectly. Also it has multiple endings that you can unlock by beating Lavos in new game + at various times in the game. So in 50 hours you can see like 14 different endings. Great characters too except for silent protagonist #1,000. Even the bad guys have good depth. It's an absolute classic and a it's shame it won't be on the SNES Classic with FFIII it's only equal on the SNES (I'd say tied for the best RPG on SNES, although FFIII has more depth/longer game play).

I dislike Chrono Cross. What it has going for it, is one of the best opening themes of all time, great music, and a fun battle system, but it lacks the character development (because of the 40+ cast) and the great story that made Chrono Trigger so good. What also hurt Cross is that it is linked to Trigger through Radical Dreamers, a game we never got in the USA that bridged the gap story/character wise.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Dat music. I think CT might just have one of the best overworld map themes out there.

And one of the most ingenious things for me is the combat. A turn-based system without a separate combat screen, essentially grabbing an improved FF engine and using it with Secret of Mana visuals.

I think they were trying something similar with FF12, but that ended up looking too much like your standard MMORPG and was hilariously enough shallower than the much older CT.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:39 am

For me star ocean 2 had the best combat as far as a more "Retro" game, that semi free movement is just great fun and hectic. Valkyrie profile is also really good for a "turn based" style, you setup your party to chain off each other, its a shame that game near the end turns into a auto rez fest.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Valkyrie Profile is an amazing game. If I rated it compared to CT with no nostalgia, Valkyrie Profile would probably win. It's a much more tragic story. You get a lot of characters, but every character has their own story arc.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:36 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:22 pm
Valkyrie Profile is an amazing game. If I rated it compared to CT with no nostalgia, Valkyrie Profile would probably win. It's a much more tragic story. You get a lot of characters, but every character has their own story arc.
Yep, and you end up not even keeping like half of them anyway, so its more like short stories rather than a confusing mess of 50 characters you have to juggle.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]