MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

MonHun

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:00 am

Since I don't pay attention to E3 I didn't know they announced/revealed a new Monster Hunter. It's coming for PS4 and PC.
Here's Gaijin Hunter's commentated video on the latest gameplay video.

I'm carefully optimistic. I'm torn about it looking so fluid. Takes away a bit of the charme but after having watched the whole video the general gameplay seems to be fully intact. I guess it's about time to change some things up that have been around since the Playstation days.

PS: Nintendo Switch on suicide watch.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Re: MonHun

Post by Charlar » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:54 am

What's the goal in Monhun? Hunting, farming...? Is there a story or something like that
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Charlar wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:54 am
What's the goal in Monhun? Hunting, farming...? Is there a story or something like that
Hunting and gathering. The story is usually "there's a monster incoming that will fuck up our village go kill it kthxbye".
You take a quest, have a meal for buffs and start the quest. You're put into a map with several areas with a (very generous) time limit. Your quest could be to collect something, kill a certain amount of small or large monsters or catch a monster.

Your character doesn't level at all. It's not a RPG in any way. You get no perks or anything of the likes. All your gear and all your items are crafted from monster parts that you carve off of a dead monster, get as a quest reward or for catching it or just collected from plants, mined from stones or fished in a pond.
Absolutely everything, besides trash which you only get for failing to craft an item, has a use. Herbs heal. Add a blue mushroom and you get a potion. Add honey for a super potion and so on. There are loads of items.

So what you'll do is get a quest, gather some stuff during it, slay or capture the monster, get your carves and eventually build armor or a weapon from the monster's parts. Armor has ability points, giving you perks if you get enough of those points. With your better armor you can then take on harder quests and so on and so forth.

The reason it's fun is that the combat is very deliberate with lots of long, uninterruptable animations. The same goes for the monster's attacks. It's Dark Souls combat before Dark Souls was a thing.
You don't git gud by grinding out gear or levels in MonHun. You have to git gud yourself. The armor or weapon from a tough monster will help you greatly, but you'll need to kill/capture it several times to get enough parts first. You will have to learn the monster's attack patterns and behaviour.

There is much too much to say about MonHun for one post. Many mechanics, tons of weapons, loads of monsters and items.
In short, it scratches the itch for hunting and gathering. You can have action or some chill upkeeping. It doesn't hold your hand and has lots of variety.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm

It's a game for people who like gameplay. The gameplay depth has always taken priority over presentation and storytelling. Every weapon really feels like its own thing and every large monster needs to be "mastered" in order to successfully hunt it. You can't mash buttons and expect to get anywhere.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Yeah, the weapons allow for lots of different playstyles. I try to main a different weapon in each game to have a fresh experience each time.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 pm
The reason it's fun is that the combat is very deliberate with lots of long, uninterruptable animations. The same goes for the monster's attacks. It's Dark Souls combat before Dark Souls was a thing.
Your attacks have a very pleasant feel to them. It's not some FF7-tier weebshit where people swing around fuckhuge weapons like they weigh nothing. If your guy wields a fuckhuge weapon, you can bet your ass he's putting in everything he's got behind each swing.

Monsters can share a few moves (especially the wyvern-types), but each one has its own tricks. Like the Khezu (aka the creepy penis wyvern) who telegraphs his attacks like seconds in advance. He hits like a fucking truck and loves to shoot and cover himself in unblockable lightning. he's basically the first serious monster you fight. Attack him like a scrub, and you're dead. Be careful and pay constant attention to what he's doing, and you're good to go.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:12 pm

It's a great series for people who love learning a game and actively getting better, instead of getting progress handed to one just for hours put in.
You're never at an advantage for long and even that advantage you had to fight for. You're in a constant reward loop.
Struggle with a new monster. Get hit HARD by it because your armor is crappy against it. You can get an armor set with resistances that will greatly help you, for which you'll have to battle another monster and practically master it, but it might make your time a bit easier if you mess up. Or you just struggle on and git really gud.
You figure the monster out, see it's patterns, and eventually you can grind it no problem since you know exactly what to do and when to do it. Make mistakes and you'll still get punished but you know what you're dealing with.
The reward is a new weapon or suit of armor you craft from defeating it multiple times that might be so good that it carries you quite a bit.
And just before you get cocky you encounter a new monster that will provide a challenge.

The appeal is hard to describe. I thought MonHun looked silly when I first seen it. I had absolutely no interest in it. Way too japanese with the massive weapons and shit.
But when I got the demo for 3U I got hooked. It's just such a sound game, mechanically. The gameplay loop is close to perfect. The variety is extreme. There is nothing quite like it. You'll never truly master the game but every little step to getting better feels like a real accomplishment. Simply because the game keeps you honest and doesn't allow for shortcuts.
When you see a guy wearing a full set of armor plus the weapon of a monster you can say that the guy has legit mastered that monster. You can actually wear that shit in pride.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:49 pm

And man, I just realized something: With MonHun World coming out for home consoles and the PC, we might just get to "enjoy" DSP getting curbstomped by a Velocidrome or Bulldrome.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

If it comes out for PS4 and it gets hype, he WILL play it. No doubt in my mind that the first big monster he goes up against will slaughter him. He'll be stuck for hours on fucking Kut-Ku. :D
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:57 pm

He will probably go apeshit at the standard bird wyvern tail sweep. It will be glorious.

He might've probably also heard about the infamous bullshit hitboxes that popped up in the first two generations, so expect that to be his main excuse.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:53 pm

For sure. Hitboxes will be his new "lag" for why he gets killed. All he ever does in these action games is run up and start slapping around the enemies and bosses with spam. He does that shit in every Souls game and then cries when he dies.
RAPEMAN wrote: