Fan Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Joe Roscoe

Fan Games

Post by Joe Roscoe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:06 am

A nice topic about people making games based on popular franchises they make and unofficially making it without the license holders consent and its all fun and games until they get a cease and desist letter and then cries "fair use", some good videos explaining the problems with fan games and people announcing them in advance before they can be done

Now there are still some I really do like, for example Terrordrome, which is a nice fighting featuring horror movie characters that would be a huge nightmare to get the rights to all of, and Streets of Rage Remake, but its always murky and while some developers end up doing their own thing eventually or is understandable that why it got taken down, the fans in particular have been more whiny and unwarranted entitlement about the issue

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Fan Games

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Lol Terrordrome looks interesting.

And I can't really grasp the autism required to spend several years developing something based on an IP whose actual copyright holders can shut everything down whenever they feel like. I guess they just want to generate drama to promote the inevitable re-release with the numbers filed off?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 pm

AM2R was good, where does it fall since it was already released when the C&D happened?
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Should've made an hommage game from the start.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Fan games are actually illegal, which is why they'll never get anywhere. Much better to just steal everything except the name and make your own IP that you can profit off of. The entire metroidvania genre of current year is basically that anyway.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 pm

I think Nintendo sent the C&D because they wanted to remove potential competition with Metroid 2 remake they announced at E3, i could be wrong but i find the timing a little odd
-All fanbases are shit

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:10 am

Charlar wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 pm
I think Nintendo sent the C&D because they wanted to remove potential competition with Metroid 2 remake they announced at E3, i could be wrong but i find the timing a little odd
It's a japanese thing, they are more trigger happy with this shit since Square has done it too. The smart thing to do is to offer them a deal to make it an official product if it is good enough, that way they get to make their game, and you both get to make money off it.

Sonic Mania is exactly that, and everyone is losing their shit over it and it will print money for SEGA.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Joe Roscoe

Post by Joe Roscoe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:53 am

Poonoo wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:10 am
Charlar wrote:
It's a japanese thing, they are more trigger happy with this shit since Square has done it too. The smart thing to do is to offer them a deal to make it an official product if it is good enough, that way they get to make their game, and you both get to make money off it.

Sonic Mania is exactly that, and everyone is losing their shit over it and it will print money for SEGA.
True but its not entirely Japanese thing since, as pointed in the video by Woolie, Rockstar sent a cease and desist letter to Read Dead Redemption V, which basically a mod that puts the map of Read Dead Redemption into GTAV, which probably conflicts with the actual Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out

However a weird one though is Capcom, there are plenty of Mega Man fan games that Capcom has not gone after, one in particular was Mega Maker, which is a Super Mario Maker with Mega Man, but it kinda shows Capcom's incompetence for leaving it alone instead of cease and desist it as a real Mega Maker could have been huge money for Capcom instead

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 am

Joe Roscoe wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:53 am
Poonoo wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:10 am
Charlar wrote:

True but its not entirely Japanese thing since, as pointed in the video by Woolie, Rockstar sent a cease and desist letter to Read Dead Redemption V, which basically a mod that puts the map of Read Dead Redemption into GTAV, which probably conflicts with the actual Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out

However a weird one though is Capcom, there are plenty of Mega Man fan games that Capcom has not gone after, one in particular was Mega Maker, which is a Super Mario Maker with Mega Man, but it kinda shows Capcom's incompetence for leaving it alone instead of cease and desist it as a real Mega Maker could have been huge money for Capcom instead
That imply that Capcom cares for Megaman
-All fanbases are shit

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:10 am

I love woolie, and he's right. If you're making a fan game shut the fuck up until its done. Once you have it finished and release it the internet will help it spread, even if you get it taken down the next day.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]