What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Poonoo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

I just realised this isn't the music thread. Everyone just posted music and I forgot the thread title, lel.

Been playing fighting games for months now, what the fuck did they do with KOF14? You were right tictac, KOF13 had a much better system. You could do so much creative shit with combos and chaining special moves together with cancels. With KOF14 you can only do that shit in Max Mode with EX moves, other than that combos are like the old days in the 90s. The only improvement is that EX moves don't take up a whole meter anymore, but all they needed to do was implement that with KOF13's system and it would have been fine. In 13 it gave you an incentive to use light specials since sometimes they chained better for different combos or were better for extending a combo. The only issue I had with 13 is that sometimes the timing was ultra strict, I would have loosened it up ever so slightly so you could perform combos easier outside of practice mode.
SpoilerShow

Almost all of those combos are done with Max Mode. Now look at KOF13:
SpoilerShow

Some have it and some don't. You can do cool shit without any meter and do crazy shit if you are skilled enough, KOF14 is the like the Street Fighter 4 of the series.

EDIT: I'm still fucking mad. Look at tournament footage of KOF 14 vs 13 at Evo 2016:

Look how much better 13 is and how boring 14 is to watch. The only problem is Iori being broken with that fucking infinite, that shit is Injustice Trident Rush tier garbage but once he dies it's fun to watch.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 pm

13 also looks great, 14 doesn't. 14 really is just there as a starting point to build upon for the next KoF.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 pm
13 also looks great, 14 doesn't. 14 really is just there as a starting point to build upon for the next KoF.
They had no choice but to go 3D since those sprites were way too expensive to be financially viable. Add the fact that for some reason the sprites for KOF12 and 13 were made for 480p (seriously, BlazBlue's were made for 756p around the same time) meant that they were already becoming dated and needed to be remade.

They clearly are new to 3D since the game looks like an early 360 title. They really need to use an engine like Unreal for the lighting since it looks so damn plain, Fighting EX looks much better despite also being a niche fighting game:

The shadows, image effects like depth of field and lighting are significantly better here, the dev team at SNK must have made their own engine from scratch.

Still doesn't explain why the game got dumbed down. I honestly think they went the Street Fighter route and wanted more casuals to get into it, having some fucker juggle the shit out of you will annoy newbies and they even have this bullshit where if you mash low punch you get an automatic 4 hit combo that ends with a super move. The problem though is that casuals care more about graphics above all else, it's why MKX and Injustice are so popular amongst normies compared to other fighting games, and why SF4 "brought it back". The art style brings them in, the dumbed down game mechanics keeps them from leaving.

It's like your store having no marketing what so ever. You could have what people want, but if you don't get them to go into the store what's the point?
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm

I think they initially planned to go Unreal, but then they made their own engine using OpenGL.

(Also Kula Diamond looks a bit creepy up close.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm
I think they initially planned to go Unreal, but then they made their own engine using OpenGL.

(Also Kula Diamond looks a bit creepy up close.)
https://imgur.com/uoKTRem.jpg
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:07 am

KoF X14 looks like trash. I haven't played it, but it's jarringly ugly. I'd rather look at '98 UM sprites or XI sprites.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am

Finished playing Mario 2 (Japan). Started playing Mario 2 (America). Reminded of why I hate Mario 2 (America)
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:57 am

It's dreamcast time, playas. Shenmue? Sonic Adventure with Xmas DLC? Naw, it's Blue Stinger tiiiiime!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:07 am
KoF X14 looks like trash. I haven't played it, but it's jarringly ugly. I'd rather look at '98 UM sprites or XI sprites.
Not making the game even slightly cel-shaded was a serious mistake. I get that they wanted to go back to a more "realistic" style, but they should've realized that they don't have the know-how for that.
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am
Finished playing Mario 2 (Japan). Started playing Mario 2 (America). Reminded of why I hate Mario 2 (America)
What you hate is actually Doki Doki blah blah blah...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:19 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm
What you hate is actually Doki Doki blah blah blah...
Mind blown
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.