What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Poonoo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:10 am

Here you go sir, a fine piece of dog shit for you as the main meal.
Mathew: "Well that is just terrible."
This guy: "Wow ! An actual shit ! Ive never ate one of those, everyone thinks its terrible to eat shit. But what if it is actually pretty great ? MMmmmm I love the smell, the taste, the structure. Can I have more, pretty please ?"
Some fucks on a chan thread claimed he was a massive contrarian asshole. I have only watched his Davis Aurini videos and one he did about the Killing Joke cartoon movie which seemed pretty good, but it seems that when it comes to games he is either stupid like all film school rejects or he is intentionally being a contrarian like Jordan. He is a goon so it could be the latter or both.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:35 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:10 am
I'm going to go ahead and beat shitty dank souls 2 because I haven't yet. I got to about level 90 or so around a dozen times and always told the game to fuck off around the time I had to fight The Rotten or go through the invisible forest area. So I've probably put 200 hours into the first half of the game lel.

The invisible forest isn't that bad tbh, but FUCK the royal rat authority. That boss is fucking terrible. One of the worst in souls history by far. The congregation/prowling magus fight was a joke though. I wasn't even close to dying once. Duke's Dear Freja was closer but I still beat it first try. Same for Scorpioness Najca or whatever the hell her name is.

I'm going a boring paladin build with standard gear you find in early game. I have a bastard sword, heide knight sword and then the third slot is dealer's choice of magic mace, fire longsword or shitty scimitar boss weapon from the flexile sentry.

Dank souls 2 does A COUPLE of things kinda well, but hbomberguy's shitty dark souls 2 defense video was retarded. About the only things he got right are:

-group fights aren't that bad if you just remember to unlock your camera, also some bosses are much easier if you don't lock on
-lifegems are pretty cool and the game should really explain to players that THESE are your primary healing items, not estus flasks (flasks take way too long to drink)

The rest of his video was pure shit. He has to reach really far to justify now nothing about the landscape in dark souls 2 makes sense and how all the paths deadend to fucking bonfires for no reason except the player character can teleport spam at bonfires.

Dark Souls 2 absolutely has 90% of enemies with some bullshit autotracking moves to spam so the strategy for EVERY enemy is to wait until the last second to dodge. The worst of this was the royal rat authority. I was running a shieldtank build and in ONE HIT, a single blow from one drained all my fucking stamina. ON A SHIELD BUILD!!!

That is pure retardation. You vill only play von vay vhen you play dark souls 2, sieg heil.

Also pyro and particularly hex are very poorly explained considering they are entire built types/subtypes. Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls let you start as a beginning character in any of the magic classes in the game. Dark Souls 2 lets you start as a sorcerer or priest, but no pyro or hex means every person trying to do those builds has to piece them together gradually over the first few hours, and won't even have a pyro flame until after beating Flexile Sentry.
I actually liked Dark Souls 2 in SOME areas, like magic, its the souls game with the best magic mechanics and variants imo, i like that attunement actually plays a role in the amount of spells you can use beyond the slots, so its not the same having a warrior with 3 slots being able to cast magic sometimes, while a dedicated mage can equip not only more spells, but get more uses per spells too. I remember its the only Souls game i can actually use a mage from beginning to end and never having to rely on weapons and instead use 100% magics, i chose a deprived from the very beginning (stats at 6 and no equipment) and never putting a single point in dex, str, agl, etc, not one... only int, faith, att.

I also liked that there are more unique weapons with unique characteristics than in previous games, and the whole powerstance and dual wielding was great and gave it more variety, so of fucking course they removed it by DS3, and expanding the weight to 70% for the fast roll, instead choosing to only shorten the length of the roll (without affecting the i-frames)

Also, heavy armors gaining bonuses for defense with the str of the characters, so stronger you are more deff its added, so it wasnt only about being able to use the armor, but also improving upon it with more stats.

And lastly, i liked that the stats where further specialized, each did more than in previous games, but only for very specific things. You got more equip weight per point, but it affected nothing else, you need more attunement (to 75 for 10 slots instead of 50) but it gave you extra casts per sloths too, you got more stamina per point, but only that, and so on. The game also levels you waaaay faster than in the other Souls game, i can easily complete any other souls game by the time i reach 60-70, in DrkS2 i can easily reach 150 or more in one play through without even farming for a second.

--- Of course, game still is very shit, the auto tracking of the enemies is absurd (compare to Demons Souls, where most moves have no tracking, you can easily see enemies and bosses attacking the air), level progression is shit (its ok on the DLC), bosses are shit most of the time, world cohesion is crap, and so on.

cernex

Post by cernex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Seele wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 am
cernex wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:39 am

But I want to think that at least the Ganon will be worth it... maybe.
The first half, kinda yes (more engaging if you don't complete the Divine Beasts).
The second half, no.
Yeah, a friend of mine did show me the second half of the Ganon fight.

MAN that was a bunch of nothing. Looks kindda good and mildly exciting, but no challenge whatsoever.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:35 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and beat shitty dank souls 2 because I haven't yet. I got to about level 90 or so around a dozen times and always told the game to fuck off around the time I had to fight The Rotten or go through the invisible forest area. So I've probably put 200 hours into the first half of the game lel.

The invisible forest isn't that bad tbh, but FUCK the royal rat authority. That boss is fucking terrible. One of the worst in souls history by far. The congregation/prowling magus fight was a joke though. I wasn't even close to dying once. Duke's Dear Freja was closer but I still beat it first try. Same for Scorpioness Najca or whatever the hell her name is.

I'm going a boring paladin build with standard gear you find in early game. I have a bastard sword, heide knight sword and then the third slot is dealer's choice of magic mace, fire longsword or shitty scimitar boss weapon from the flexile sentry.

Dank souls 2 does A COUPLE of things kinda well, but hbomberguy's shitty dark souls 2 defense video was retarded. About the only things he got right are:

-group fights aren't that bad if you just remember to unlock your camera, also some bosses are much easier if you don't lock on
-lifegems are pretty cool and the game should really explain to players that THESE are your primary healing items, not estus flasks (flasks take way too long to drink)

The rest of his video was pure shit. He has to reach really far to justify now nothing about the landscape in dark souls 2 makes sense and how all the paths deadend to fucking bonfires for no reason except the player character can teleport spam at bonfires.

Dark Souls 2 absolutely has 90% of enemies with some bullshit autotracking moves to spam so the strategy for EVERY enemy is to wait until the last second to dodge. The worst of this was the royal rat authority. I was running a shieldtank build and in ONE HIT, a single blow from one drained all my fucking stamina. ON A SHIELD BUILD!!!

That is pure retardation. You vill only play von vay vhen you play dark souls 2, sieg heil.

Also pyro and particularly hex are very poorly explained considering they are entire built types/subtypes. Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls let you start as a beginning character in any of the magic classes in the game. Dark Souls 2 lets you start as a sorcerer or priest, but no pyro or hex means every person trying to do those builds has to piece them together gradually over the first few hours, and won't even have a pyro flame until after beating Flexile Sentry.
I actually liked Dark Souls 2 in SOME areas, like magic, its the souls game with the best magic mechanics and variants imo, i like that attunement actually plays a role in the amount of spells you can use beyond the slots, so its not the same having a warrior with 3 slots being able to cast magic sometimes, while a dedicated mage can equip not only more spells, but get more uses per spells too. I remember its the only Souls game i can actually use a mage from beginning to end and never having to rely on weapons and instead use 100% magics, i chose a deprived from the very beginning (stats at 6 and no equipment) and never putting a single point in dex, str, agl, etc, not one... only int, faith, att.

I also liked that there are more unique weapons with unique characteristics than in previous games, and the whole powerstance and dual wielding was great and gave it more variety, so of fucking course they removed it by DS3, and expanding the weight to 70% for the fast roll, instead choosing to only shorten the length of the roll (without affecting the i-frames)

Also, heavy armors gaining bonuses for defense with the str of the characters, so stronger you are more deff its added, so it wasnt only about being able to use the armor, but also improving upon it with more stats.

And lastly, i liked that the stats where further specialized, each did more than in previous games, but only for very specific things. You got more equip weight per point, but it affected nothing else, you need more attunement (to 75 for 10 slots instead of 50) but it gave you extra casts per sloths too, you got more stamina per point, but only that, and so on. The game also levels you waaaay faster than in the other Souls game, i can easily complete any other souls game by the time i reach 60-70, in DrkS2 i can easily reach 150 or more in one play through without even farming for a second.

--- Of course, game still is very shit, the auto tracking of the enemies is absurd (compare to Demons Souls, where most moves have no tracking, you can easily see enemies and bosses attacking the air), level progression is shit (its ok on the DLC), bosses are shit most of the time, world cohesion is crap, and so on.
Wow, an actually coherent post on why DS2 has some good points, that isn't full of smug bullshit like hbomberturd's.

Yes, I think the magic is good too. I think DeS has my favorite magic system because it's based on a meter and not uses, but I do really like all the variations on magic builds and hybrids in DS2. Hexer builds are fun. Sorc builds are fun. Pyros are fun. Priests are fun. All the hybrid versions are fun and the smith lets you make any weapon set work for your build type. Infusing weapons is a great change btw. Playing a priest build has made me experiment with miracles I'd normally never use, and now I want to switch to sorceror to play with spells I'd never use.

I think the early game OP weapon drops are better thought out as well. DeS gave you an early weapon drop for every build type, but the Crescent Falchion was far and away the best. DS1 had Astora SS, Drake Sword (garbage), black knight weapon drops if you got lucky, the claymore and maybe something else. But DS2 gives you a few different really good weapons (heide knight sword and fire longsword) that scale off different stats. Any build CAN use them, but the investment long-term only pays off if you're going to level the stats the swords scale off. It gets you thinking about what early game weapons, if any, you'll use into late game.

The leveling is better in DS2. You get a LOT more levels and builds come together more quickly because of that.

I think the way DS2 handles rolling is fucking terrible though. The animation doesn't change, only the i-frames, so it's hard to see visually where you get the benefit from adaptability. It also contributes to that situation where you roll, an enemy hits you during your roll and you take damage, but the ONLY INDICATION YOU TOOK DAMAGE is your lifebar going down. Which leads to people crying "bullshit!" and thinking they perfectly dodged. Because the game does a shit job informing you what you did wrong. Dodging wrong should lead to some kind of stagger animation or faceplant.

Powerstance is kind of jank and OP. But at least it's variety, I guess. I've never found the appeal of those builds, not since watching DSP cheese the entire game powerstancing rapiers wearing havel's set. :cry:

I never played the DLC. I've been looking at some of it and it seems ok. Scholar of the First Sin with the new enemy placement looks like total fucking trash, though. It's like a bootleg romhack with how they added 1000% more bullshit enemy types and gayass dragons everywhere.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm
Guest wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:35 pm
rabidtictac wrote:

Wow, an actually coherent post on why DS2 has some good points, that isn't full of smug bullshit like hbomberturd's.

Yes, I think the magic is good too. I think DeS has my favorite magic system because it's based on a meter and not uses, but I do really like all the variations on magic builds and hybrids in DS2. Hexer builds are fun. Sorc builds are fun. Pyros are fun. Priests are fun. All the hybrid versions are fun and the smith lets you make any weapon set work for your build type. Infusing weapons is a great change btw. Playing a priest build has made me experiment with miracles I'd normally never use, and now I want to switch to sorceror to play with spells I'd never use.

I think the early game OP weapon drops are better thought out as well. DeS gave you an early weapon drop for every build type, but the Crescent Falchion was far and away the best. DS1 had Astora SS, Drake Sword (garbage), black knight weapon drops if you got lucky, the claymore and maybe something else. But DS2 gives you a few different really good weapons (heide knight sword and fire longsword) that scale off different stats. Any build CAN use them, but the investment long-term only pays off if you're going to level the stats the swords scale off. It gets you thinking about what early game weapons, if any, you'll use into late game.

The leveling is better in DS2. You get a LOT more levels and builds come together more quickly because of that.

I think the way DS2 handles rolling is fucking terrible though. The animation doesn't change, only the i-frames, so it's hard to see visually where you get the benefit from adaptability. It also contributes to that situation where you roll, an enemy hits you during your roll and you take damage, but the ONLY INDICATION YOU TOOK DAMAGE is your lifebar going down. Which leads to people crying "bullshit!" and thinking they perfectly dodged. Because the game does a shit job informing you what you did wrong. Dodging wrong should lead to some kind of stagger animation or faceplant.

Powerstance is kind of jank and OP. But at least it's variety, I guess. I've never found the appeal of those builds, not since watching DSP cheese the entire game powerstancing rapiers wearing havel's set. :cry:

I never played the DLC. I've been looking at some of it and it seems ok. Scholar of the First Sin with the new enemy placement looks like total fucking trash, though. It's like a bootleg romhack with how they added 1000% more bullshit enemy types and gayass dragons everywhere.
(i wrote the post, forgot to put name, so im continuing from there....)

I actually played all DrkS2 versions, vanilla and vanilla with DLC on PS3, and SotfS on PS4.

Magic - i was never fond of the Demons Souls magic mostly because there was only a few spells worth using, and the fact that you never really needed more magic on the stats because you could spam the spices, so you reached the max MP of your spell that consumed the most MP and then it was cast, spice, cast, spice, and so on. I kinda liked a little more the magic metod in DS3 because it was a little more geared towards awarding more points into magic amount since you cant use spices, but in that game it was very punishing towards mages overall.

In Dark Souls 2 i always enjoyed a full mage, i only had equipped staves, flame, talisman, etc to cast magic, one for each school of magic. It was fun, but i never enjoyed that much the game with a weapon user, be dex, str, whatever.

Early OP weapons - i agree, things like the Crescent Falchion in Demons was poorly placed, magical weapons of that kind in the game where the equivalent of a weapon at level 6, enhanced to a base Crescent... so yeah, you got what its basically a level 7 weapon at that point without material farming nor souls cost. And magical damage was so good in most situations, specially armored enemies and the fact that the weapon had very low requirements.

Other broken items in Demons where the Thief Ring, which removed tons of difficulty from the game since made most enemies ignore you and making most fights 1vs1 since the others couldnt see you, the regenerator ring and the Adjudicators Shield, since in Demons Souls HP regen was so so so good, i think the reason From never again made good regen HP stuff later on was because it was so broken in Demons Souls, the ring gave you 4 HP/sec, adjudicator was a 2HP/sec with 8HP/sec maxed, and blessed weapons a 2HPsec with a 6HP/sec maxed i think... it was OP.

In Dark Souls you had the Grass Crest Shield, the Wolf Ring and if lucky, the Dark Knight Great Axe (i dont know if you used it pre-patch, but it was crazy strong), the Drakesword was... ok, but if you got the Claymore before, a few levels in it would be much better than Drakesword.

Dark Souls 2, vanilla version, had the Fire Longsword and the Heide Longsword, but you also had the Sunset Staff (if you had a magic user, this thing is crazy and very early game). In the SotfS version the Heide Longsword is not there anymore, however you do have early access to the stamina regen shield.

I also liked more DS2 leveling, less farming, more levels, better builds faster.

I agree with you on rolling, i hated the AGL stat, i liked the increase in max weight for fast roll and shorter rolls for weight, but the AGL stat does drag the whole thing down making arbitrary changes that are not perceptible. About the stuns, it was very random, and it sucked. I just wanted more consistency, but that its out in DsK2 i guess.

Powerstance - well, i dont know, i liked a few powerstance builds (dual powerstance Smelter Swords was hilarious), but most was jank, yes.

DLC - i likd it much more than the main game, its about as long as the main game if you put them together, level designs is consistent, and its actually well planed mostly, EXCEPT, those fucking challenge areas, they expect you to have summons and they are crazy mazes filled with enemies to the brim with a BS boss at the end, only thing on the DLC that are shit.

Scholar of the First Sin - i... actually liked it, but not always, what i mean is... some changes where good, and some where bad.

Some of the good changes for example, is that they reworked the estus and marrows locations, and put some items in better locations, they blocked certain paths in many areas and let you unlock them with the Ancient Branch of Yore, many of this areas on the vanilla game had nothing or just trash, now they might contain an Estus Shard for example this time, i found that they incentivated returning to some areas to unlock stuff and to choose what to unlock with branches and so on (eventually you can unlock all of course, so it affects early/mid game the most).

Other good changes was enemy locations in some areas, maybe less annoying spawns, or new enemies. Of course, not always, some areas are worst, but id say its a 70/30 on good/bad. Also, they nerfed hard the ring that revives you, now you can only get 1 of those instead of 5/6 per playthorugh, adding more value to the effigies.

But some stuff that they NEEDED to fix, they didnt, like the fucking rat fight, for example... or the AGL shit...

(the DLC its exactly the same, any changes to the game from versions only affect the main game, not the DLC areas)

- Overall, i think DS2 started as a below average game on vanilla, then with the DLC it became an ok game, and with the SotfS it became an above ok game... of course, its only my opinion. But i still think its the weakest game of the Souls games still, only while playing the DLC i think it can be better than that... but then i return to the main game.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:37 pm

If you played Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 you can't go back. At least I couldn't cuz Dark Souls 1 will feel like a shitty prototype :lol:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Just going to excerpt some of this because I can't speak to the DLCs, except to say Sunken King looks really good, actually.
Magic - i was never fond of the Demons Souls magic mostly because there was only a few spells worth using, and the fact that you never really needed more magic on the stats because you could spam the spices, so you reached the max MP of your spell that consumed the most MP and then it was cast, spice, cast, spice, and so on. I kinda liked a little more the magic metod in DS3 because it was a little more geared towards awarding more points into magic amount since you cant use spices, but in that game it was very punishing towards mages overall.
Demon's Souls has a strange approach to magic. It fills a utility role and basically every build can have magic, miracles or both. I usually get at least Homeward on all my builds because of the way levels are set up. Magic is very OP, both because enemy AI can't deal with it and because the damage type is strong against many enemies.
In Dark Souls 2 i always enjoyed a full mage, i only had equipped staves, flame, talisman, etc to cast magic, one for each school of magic. It was fun, but i never enjoyed that much the game with a weapon user, be dex, str, whatever.

Early OP weapons - i agree, things like the Crescent Falchion in Demons was poorly placed, magical weapons of that kind in the game where the equivalent of a weapon at level 6, enhanced to a base Crescent... so yeah, you got what its basically a level 7 weapon at that point without material farming nor souls cost. And magical damage was so good in most situations, specially armored enemies and the fact that the weapon had very low requirements.
Exactly. Crescent Falchion and Dragon Long Sword were OP as shit, because you didn't have to do any work to get them. Crescent Falchion could easily carry you through the entire shrine of storms area without being upgraded, and most of the 1-1 and 1-2 levels in the other worlds as well. With no upgrades.
In Dark Souls you had the Grass Crest Shield, the Wolf Ring and if lucky, the Dark Knight Great Axe (i dont know if you used it pre-patch, but it was crazy strong), the Drakesword was... ok, but if you got the Claymore before, a few levels in it would be much better than Drakesword.
I count the Claymore as basically another OP weapon drop, on par with Crescent Falchion, Grass Crest Shield, Dragon Long Sword, Dark Knight Halberd etc. A +2 Claymore was strong as fucking shit for how early you could get one.
Dark Souls 2, vanilla version, had the Fire Longsword and the Heide Longsword, but you also had the Sunset Staff (if you had a magic user, this thing is crazy and very early game).
As I said, I think this is really clever because the fire longsword and heide knight sword are two similar types of weapons with low requirements, that scale off different attributes. If only one were available, they'd be little better than another crescent falchion. But I suppose another plus of DS2 is you can go to heide's tower of flame, the pirate cove, then the bastille to unlock the smithy and infuse weapons yourself, before ever fighting The Last Giant or finding those weapons.

You can get some weapons early in DS1 this way, but usually by doing suicide runs. With DS2, Flexile Sentry, Dragonrider, Old Dragonslayer etc are all easy enough you can do them legit with your starting gear. The levels are easy too.
I also liked more DS2 leveling, less farming, more levels, better builds faster.

I agree with you on rolling, i hated the AGL stat, i liked the increase in max weight for fast roll and shorter rolls for weight, but the AGL stat does drag the whole thing down making arbitrary changes that are not perceptible. About the stuns, it was very random, and it sucked. I just wanted more consistency, but that its out in DsK2 i guess.

Powerstance - well, i dont know, i liked a few powerstance builds (dual powerstance Smelter Swords was hilarious), but most was jank, yes.
Agility, ADP stat, enemy autocorrect/tracking on swings and certain fights like royal rat authority are pretty much the sole reasons DS2 is the worst one. DS2 changes with DS1 or DeS rolling and feedback on attacks would be really good tbh. Combat just feels so shitty sometimes with how little feedback you get on your attacks + how you get hit while rolling and often don't know why (until you understand the ADP bullshit.)

Also a lot of the areas in the game look and feel like betas or alphas. The area after the mist forest with invisibros is a good example. The entire level is a bunch of fucking boxes with the same forest texture flatly painted over it, where you fight the same 2-3 enemy types AND NOTHING ELSE.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 pm

So any opinions on Bloodborne and DS3?
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Charlar wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 pm
So any opinions on Bloodborne and DS3?
In short, love BB and liked DS3, but...

Bloodborne, great gameplay and setting, great levels overall and great DLC too. Mediocre variety.Yes, i know weapons are more different one from another and so on, but still I found that builds in Bloodborne where way too similar, and weapons had low requirements overall, so playing with a build felt almost exactly as playing with another. I played with STR, DEX, MAG, and Bloodtinge builds... they all felt very similar in the end. I think its the sole reason i dont replay BB as much, not enough variety in builds, all building around armors, magic, weights, etc is gone.

DS3, great gameplay overall and other stuff too, but it felt too short for me and, at least in the main game, that it had areas way too similar to previous games or similar to previous areas on the very same game too. DLC gave it more variety and liked it, at least the 2nd one, 1st was lacking somewhat.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:11 pm

I agree about bloodborne. I don't have the game and haven't played it, so all I can say is based off of what gameplay I've seen, which is basically the entire game. I've seen a lot of different bloodborne builds. I think the level design looks really strong in bloodborne and the atmosphere/story is great, but a lot of the builds look and feel the same. There's a lack of diversity in armor sets as well. I always rock the elite knight set in DS1 and I always rock either Draingleic or Falconer sets in DS2. DS1 and DS2 have a lot of diversity in how you can make your dude look. But IMO most of the bloodborne outfits look very similar to each other.
RAPEMAN wrote: