What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 am

Reminds me to check out Nuclear Throne some time.

Rogue Legacy had an interesting promise, but you're basically just brute-forcing your way through everything.

My favorite FTL so far is probably Faster Than Light. The ship combat with the individual crew members tingles my Trekkie nerves, and fire and lack of oxygen leads to fun deaths for either side.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

ban

Post by ban » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:11 am

Was Ys Ark finally released on Steam? That took long enough.

Tony Jay made those games into something special. Him and Raziel's VA were amazing in their scenes. It's too bad people wanted that try hard edgy, dumbed down PoP 2008 style of Legacy of Kain game that was cancelled. I get it, i'ts better than that MOBA styled thing but...I doubt it would have mattered unless they planned on remaking the games and reusing the old voice clips(why don't people outside of Japan do that thing still baffles me). LoK games being remade with updated combat would be great. I just don't want it to be clunky anymore.

Currently playing Fire Emblem Echoes on the 3DS. It's nice. It's one of Ninty's good points that when they remake a game they can stay loyal to it to a fault when remaking it, only updating on key things to improve QOL. That and Hyrule Warriors Legends, great fun with Young Link and Ganondorf.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:51 am

Rogue Legacy a shit. The absolute worst example of a roguelite. First off, it calls it self a roguelike. That's already a point detracted.
Otherwise it's brute forcing like crazy. Despite being very, very strict about the definition of what a roguelike is, I actually like roguelites as well. Ziggurat is great, Immortal redneck is okay, Dead Cells is shaping up nicely.
Rogue Legacy is just straight up bullshit. It doesn't control well enough to be fun failing and there's nothing to learn how to approach like in an actual roguelike. But it's worth a try for two bucks.

DS 2 can suck my balls, though. All the bullshit gets mentioned a lot, like tracking, stats being fucked or completely non-funtional, terrible level design and such. But what nobody ever mentions is that every combo ends with a heavy attack. Do one, the string is over. Want to string together attacks? It's all various amounts of light attacks into a heavy. No different heavy attacks depending on how many lights you did anymore. To visualise, if it had a combo list it would look like this on a 360 pad:
Combo 1: XY
Combo 2: XXY
Combo 3: XXXY
and so on.
No XYX, no XXYXX, no YXY or anything. mash that fucking light attack! I fucking hated every single second of the game. Fuck it!
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:47 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:52 pm
I eventually warmed a bit to that one game, Risk of Rain. It's a very, very simple game. Exceedingly simple. But I eventually got used to it. 7/10 maybe, or 6/10. Cooldown skill system is shit and the starting class is one of the worst for this kind of game, but it was ok.

Rogue Legacy would honestly get a 2/10 or some shit from me. I guess it's technically not broken, but it's unfun in every way a game possibly can be. You're either steamrolling everything or you instantly die, and there's nothing interesting to do in the levels because you're just grabbing fucking coins so you can afford 1-2 permanent buffs every death cycle. 99% of rooms are the same room with a different random assortment of bullshit copypasta'd in.

Also, I understand a game being hard or a game where you die a lot, but you're REQUIRED to die to cash in your chips IIRC. That sucks.

The gameplay feels like ass. All classes look and play almost identically and attacks lack impact. Individual variation among descendants is somewhat pointless. Every character is a randomized mix of positive and negative quirks and most of the negative ones are just annoying.

If you want a good roguelike experience using randomizing and persistent rewards, go play Nuclear Throne. The gameplay is enjoyable and the variation between characters actually fucking matters. That said, the devs are wankers and the console/handheld versions of nuclear throne are basically broken. Selling those for money should be a crime. The PC version is fine though.

Rogue Legacy is probably the roguelite I hate the most. It's a genre I play a lot of because there are a lot of them and they tend to share elements with genres I like, such as survival horror and metroidvanias.
Rogue is one of the worst games i played, i can tolerate a bunch of shit in a game if it's fun but that shit game
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:43 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:52 pm
I eventually warmed a bit to that one game, Risk of Rain. It's a very, very simple game. Exceedingly simple. But I eventually got used to it. 7/10 maybe, or 6/10. Cooldown skill system is shit and the starting class is one of the worst for this kind of game, but it was ok.
Risk of Rain goes from 6-7/10 to 9/10 when you have a full group of buddies and you're all dicking around through it. Used to be a weekend romp game for me and my old gaming buddies and it was some of the most fun we've ever had because of just how simple it was making it perfect for a casual gaming session.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 am
My favorite FTL so far is probably Faster Than Light. The ship combat with the individual crew members tingles my Trekkie nerves, and fire and lack of oxygen leads to fun deaths for either side.
FTL is fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffucking amazing. Cannot recommend that game highly enough. It's not perfect but it's definitely at least 8/10 to anyone giving it a fair shot.

My first victory actually caused me to cheer. Out loud.

Anyway I still, and always will, recommend Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Now Afterbirth and Afterbirth+). Not perfect, by any means, but it's a great twin-stick shooter roguelite with plenty of neato items and synergies to discover through those items. Modding also opens the floodgates for lots of neat content, like the Mei character who doesn't actually shoot but controls a circle of tears (bullets) that she flings out and such.

If you ever get a chance to give it a try, especially if it's cheap, then don't hesitate.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 am

In terms of Castlevania games, maybe these will deliver:
SpoilerShow

Some other games I'm looking forward to:
SpoilerShow

Also for some reason they made a remaster of Outcast. The combat is so outdated and looks clunky they can't convince me to drop more than 5 bucks on this.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:49 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:51 am
DS 2 can suck my balls, though. All the bullshit gets mentioned a lot, like tracking, stats being fucked or completely non-funtional, terrible level design and such. But what nobody ever mentions is that every combo ends with a heavy attack. Do one, the string is over. Want to string together attacks? It's all various amounts of light attacks into a heavy. No different heavy attacks depending on how many lights you did anymore. To visualise, if it had a combo list it would look like this on a 360 pad:
Combo 1: XY
Combo 2: XXY
Combo 3: XXXY
and so on.
No XYX, no XXYXX, no YXY or anything. mash that fucking light attack! I fucking hated every single second of the game. Fuck it!
The same heavy no matter how deep into the combo? Man, this is shallower than Dynasty Warriors.
Stranger wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:43 am
FTL is fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffucking amazing. Cannot recommend that game highly enough. It's not perfect but it's definitely at least 8/10 to anyone giving it a fair shot.

My first victory actually caused me to cheer. Out loud.

Anyway I still, and always will, recommend Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Now Afterbirth and Afterbirth+). Not perfect, by any means, but it's a great twin-stick shooter roguelite with plenty of neato items and synergies to discover through those items. Modding also opens the floodgates for lots of neat kahntent, like the Mei character who doesn't actually shoot but controls a circle of tears (bullets) that she flings out and such.

If you ever get a chance to give it a try, especially if it's cheap, then don't hesitate.
Yeah, owning that mothership feels like a fucking accomplishment.

And Isaac is some twisted twin-stick fun.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:43 am

I guess I should talk about roguelites I enjoy.

Don't Starve of course, I've talked about it before. It's a very simple and addictive loop. You have to keep your hunger, sanity and health bars topped off, but everything else is whatever you feel like doing. The survival is challenging enough in the beginning to occupy your entire attention, but veteran players can very easily figure it out quickly and move on to other challenges, like exploring the Caves and Ruins or developing various types of farms. And no, I don't mean traditional farms like places to grow crops. I mean planting bunnyman houses near spiders so the bunnymen will kill the shit out of the spiders every evening, but bunnymen don't eat meat, so they'll leave all the meat dropped by the spiders. And you can just collect it every morning when the bunnies are asleep. Shit like that. Or firefarms. :D You are never required to die and death is ALWAYS a result of something you did wrong. Foresight is rewarded and the game expects you to plan for your survival at least a season in advance, just as you would have to do in a real-life survival situation.

Invisible Inc could maybe be called roguelite. I think it has too much structure for that, but it's essentially XCom Enemy Unknown mixed with Thief. A fantastic game.

Darkest Dungeon is somewhat randomized. I won't praise it too much here. I have done elsewhere. I'll just say I completely disagree with those who say the game is too hard or unfair, at least the vanilla game anyway (haven't played crimson court.) It's a 10/10 game for me.

Nuclear Throne is the best game made by the worst devs. These guys made an amazing game and yet, they fucking suck as devs. : DDD All versions outside of the PC version of Nuclear Throne are unplayable and not even up to date. Console players are paying to play a version of the game that's probably a year old compared to the PC version, and it's broken to boot. BUT the PC game, properly running, fully updated, would get a 9/10 for me. The core gunplay feels great and the different characters show enough variation to encourage you to find a "main" just like in a fighting game. The game is hard enough that runs don't get boring for me. Just reaching the Throne is a serious task in itself for the majority of players.

I can't remember any other roguelites. Maybe spelunky? Spelunky is good but I just got bored of it after a while. I think the loop of doing runs gets dull after a bit, around the time you start Hell runs.

I never got into Isaac. I can't get over how it looks and I hate the idea of a twin-stick with only 4-way shooting.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Darkest Dungeon is actually piss easy and when you figure it out it gets kinda boring. I guess the smartphone generation today doesn't have enough patience and intelligence to identify simple video game mechanics via reading + trial & error. They even too lazy to watch a quick guide video. They just slam it with negative review and call it a day.

The game is nowhere near 10 out 10 though. One useless class, dodge is garbage, not much is viable in the higher difficulty and battles always play out the same. Kill the backline first, kill the frontline but leave the harmless ones or one tougher guy to heal up. Bosses all have gimmicks and it's just ignore the gimmicks and slam their shit.

It's fun to kill some time with DD while you listen to something or watch anime or whatever but it's not something I would play primarily. The artstyle is amazing though.

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Seems I made a bad purchase with that rogue legacy then lol, Ill play it for about an hour and maybe refund if its really that bad then. Nuclear Throne isnt a game I would enjoy btw, I got enter the gungeon and thats frustrating enough.

Another roguelike that got recommended was "Kingsway" now that does look very interesting just a bit overpriced, anyone here played it?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine