What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Almost done with Bayonetta. Just need to finish Non-Stop Infinite Climax Mode and unlock some characters and the final two weapons.

The game continues to be one hell of a blast, but I still need to git gudder. Fights since Hard have been a bit swingy, since I tend to die fast when panicking. Though I'm finally getting the hang out of Dodge Offset, which has turned out to be a godsend since so many tougher enemies have become block whores who almost seem to know what combo I'm trying to pull off.

My one constant weapon loadout consists of the Shuraba (katana; too fun and good to not have at the ready) paired with either the Durga (claws) or Kilgore (bazooka-tonfas). The latter looks a bit goofy due to its size, but I love how its sweep kicks scoop up enemies in a wide area. The Durgas are mostly reserved for burning enemies, lava levels or when I just go "fuck it, everything needs to die", seeing how the fire bombs you can lay with them are ridiculously OP.

My other set is mostly focused on guns and switches depending on the situation. Levels with big enemies and/or small areas will have me use the Onyx Roses (shotguns), as I've found them to pack quite a wallop if you know what you're doing. Large boss battles have me use the Kilgores on the hands, since the extra projectiles you shoot with them in Serious Mode dish out some nifty damage on them.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu May 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Immortal Redneck. I you liked Ziggurat you'll likely like Immortal Redneck.
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 am
I've been playing Risk of Rain. I might have shat on this game on an older iteration of DHI. It's ok. The default controls sucked balls and I didn't realize how bad they were until I remapped everything and played with a controller.

The starting character, Commando, is also not fun to use at all for me. But I can consistently clear the game in the middle difficulty with Outlaw.
I really, really didn't enjoy it and especially not the whole system that rushing through it is the way to go. I hate ignoring enemies.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Hey, this reminds of one of the most baffling decisions of Valkyria Chronicles: Your mission rating is solely determined by how many turns you took to complete it.

Mind you, it's interesting finding the optimal route to have a buffed-up Scout speedrun everything, but "WWI-style tactical RPG" is not exactly something that comes to mind when I think speedrun.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 pm

That always sucked shit about Valkyria Chronicles btw. That + how difficult the first game was meant you had to memorize levels so you could move with max speedrun efficiency and gimmick the fuck out of the AI.

It is lame in Risk of Rain how you have to speed through early levels. But it's more about striking a balance. If I see items I want and I don't have money, I'll hang around the items and wait for enemies to spawn so I can kill them, buy the items and then move on. I'd rather waste some time early on in a level to grab items, than to speed for the teleporter, kill everything, then run all the way back to the items once the enemies are dead.

Also, once you hit a certain amount of items with a character you like, the difficulty slider becomes irrelevant. With both Chef and Bandit, I've hit difficulties where multiple bosses were spawning all over and on top of me, but everything died so fast that it never had a chance to do anything. HAHAHAHAHA difficulty and beyond can't hold a candle to the amount of damage you deal when you hit godmode on items.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 pm

I never liked the gameplay enough to unlock even one character. Plus, why is it zoomed out so fucking much? What is this, a vidya for ants?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri May 19, 2017 4:19 am

It's zoomed out less in console versions, but I completely agree about the level of zoom.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Mynameisnotimportant

Post by Mynameisnotimportant » Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 am

I played a game called Panzer General on 3DO, getting a Major Victory was about how fast you wrecked your opponent and accomplished goals. I had a friend in college who played it and he could only get Minor Victories because he kept fighting like every unit on the map.

Sounds like Valkyrie Chronicles has the same sort of system where speed in objective is most important, not crushing every unit on the map. But crushing every unit on the map is fun like all the StarCraft 1 and 2 missions with objectives that aren't kill all enemies where you just want to wreck all enemies on the map anyway. Killing everything is just half the fun of strategy games.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri May 19, 2017 7:42 am

Temporarily made my Hungarian dynasty Jewish to get through marriage Khazaria and thus rule from the northern county of the Duchy of Austria to the steppes and the Danube being my southern frontier, my next two goals is setting a northern frontier and deciding which religion to try to convert to
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 19, 2017 3:51 pm

The religion of peace, of course.
Mynameisnotimportant wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 am
Sounds like Valkyrie Chronicles has the same sort of system where speed in objective is most important, not crushing every unit on the map. But crushing every unit on the map is fun like all the StarCraft 1 and 2 missions with objectives that aren't kill all enemies where you just want to wreck all enemies on the map anyway. Killing everything is just half the fun of strategy games.
All missions aside from a few exceptions like boss battles or maps where you have to GTFO ASAP, you win missions by either killing every opponent, or by taking over their HQ. You don't have to do fancy stuff like say hold the HQ for a turn or two to prove that you have everything under control, you just kill every opponent in the immediate HQ area so you can switcch out the flag and win instantly.

I get that it is generally best to finish a mission fast and efficiently, but "Have a Scout run through enemy lines while shrugging off reaction fire like the Terminator because you've used most of your available actions to buff him/her up the gills" is not exactly a logical extension of how the game teaches you to play (aka use cover, make use of combined arms and don't run around like an idiot).
-Yours Truly

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 3:51 pm
The religion of peace, of course.
Impossible, i plan to eradicate Islam forever in that game, I'll have to look which other religions has an interesting gimmick
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes