Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Fighting Games

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Ok, so VoRP mentioned Darkstalkers 3 and Alpha 3, and then Kugel in with the Samsho IV, VF4, SC2 and KoF '98. You fags stole all my shit!

-Darkstalkers 3, most definitely. I absolutely agree, this is one of Capcom's best and most original fighting games.

-Street Fighter Alpha 3. Ban V-ism if it's busted or whatever, but put this in. It has waaaay more fucking characters than Alpha 2. Bonus points for being able to use cool characters like Karin, Mika and Cody in a game that isn't SFIV or SFV.

-KoF '98. This is the definitive SNK experience for me, more than Garou or anything else, except maybe KoF XI. I don't know how it would work as a competitive game, and it would probably be too niche. But it's an incredibly fun game.

-Third Strike. It's the tourneyfag's tourneyfag's game. Sometimes you want to use those cool SF3 characters without playing a shitty modern Capcom fighter. Only way to do that is play some 3rd Strike.

-Virtua Fighter V. I like it better than IV in some ways, mostly with the new characters like El Blaze. Every fucking fighting game from that console gen had a luchadore, but El Blaze was the first one and still has the best design. Ironic because it's also the simplest. Anyway, VF5 is just more of VF4 and VF4 was perfection.

-Blazblue: Central Fiction. The only game on my list that currently places at Evo. Central Fiction is the culmination of the entire Blazblue franchise. It has the most characters, most variety and is still pretty well balanced for all of that. Blazblue has maybe 3-5 truly "low tier" characters, and as I said before, you even see them in tourney play.

-Tekken something. I guess Tekken 7 or maybe Tekken 5 DR. Tag 2 felt way too overstuffed with redundant characters (multiple copies of characters) and was overly reliant on bound combos. IMO Tekken is at its best in a 1vs1 match.

For the last choice, I'd probably play it safe with Soul Calibur II or Melee because you can bank on some hype for those. They were massive releases and a lot of people have nostalgia. My personal preference, and the game I look back on with all that nostalgia, is Dead or Alive 3 on the OG Xbox. No idea if it's shit now, but I know people play DoA5 as a serious fightan game (it even has Virtua Fighter characters now), so who knows.

Really, it comes down to whether the tournament is something I want other people to enjoy, or is just for me and stuffed with the shit I personally like. :D The problem with the FGC right now is shilling shitty games. I'm not demanding they change all their tournaments to use only the games mentioned here lel, just to stop shilling shitty games. Replace those shitty new games with good, older-but-still-popular games.

You've got Tekken 7 on there, so why not Virtua Fighter 5? Why not Soul Calibur II? Keep Melee going of course. Why not replace SFV with Third Strike and an Alpha side tournament? Send a message to capcom that those old games they made DECADES ago are light-years ahead of their current shit.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 pm
- KoF 98
- Garou
- Samsho IV
- Last Blade
- Tekken 7
- Virtua Fighter 4
- Soul Calibur 2

Did I mention that I am a SNK fanboy? :lol:
Nothing wrong with that :)
SNK is awesome and i wish they had the budged Crapcom has.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm
You've got Tekken 7 on there, so why not Virtua Fighter 5? Why not Soul Calibur II? Keep Melee going of course. Why not replace SFV with Third Strike and an Alpha side tournament? Send a message to capcom that those old games they made DECADES ago are light-years ahead of their current shit.
I do have SC2 on my list. For obvious reasons to anybody who's ever played it. Awesome to play, awesome to watch.
I don't know enough about old SF to tell which one would make for a good viewing experience. 3rd Strike can be great or can devolve into OroYun Fighter, which is boring as shit. I don't know how entertaining Super Turbo is to watch and I don't know shit about Alpha in competitive play.

Melee has a fatal flaw for a tournament like EVO: The fans are the biggest cunts you'll find anywhere outside of "When's Mahvel?" faggots and the competitors are always the same. I hope you really like a crowd of stinking fucks booing every game that isn't Melee, including Sm4sh, and watching the same four players all the time. Smash should remain it's separate thing, unless you really care for Twitch views.

I took VF4 over 5 because it's considered a bit better by most people. I don't have any horses in that race so either way will be fine.
I don't care for and don't know anything about animu fighters, so I just left them out entirely.
Tekken 5DR would also be fine but 7 is pretty much a refined version of it. Tiers are super close to each other right now. I just watched CEO and despite Jack being considered B-Tier, just over the terrible C-Tier, there were four Jack players in the top 16. Dragunov was the sole SS-Tier I've seen with only JDCR playing him. SS-Tiers in general are rarely found in top level play right now.
TAG 2 has gotten really stale and I don't care for it much. Nips loved it but who cares what they want in Tekken? They don't matter in Tekken.

Oh and I'd also include Pokémon Tekken for something entirely different if one could find me commentators that aren't the shitters from EVO 2016. They were the worst commentators I ever heard.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:04 am

Meleetards are the Bronies of fighting games.

I've only played VF4, but any VF would probably be a cool addition.

KoF98 is a great choice, but I like the idea of some KOF2002 bloke having an All-Kyo team.

For animu fighters, I'd pick Arcana Heart 3 because it's pretty dope. Maybe also some Melty Blood, but I dunno how the balance is with that one.

And should any participant show signs of DSPism, he or she shall be banished into a special tournament of Shaq-Fu and Rise of the Robots.

Edit: And why the fuck does Tekken 7 have so much dubstep? This is like the audio-equivalent of a SNK boss. And the story mode is pretty strange since they were apparently going for some Star Wars logic (as in everyone understands everyone else despite only ever speaking in their native tongue).
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Because it's two years old and from Japan. I actually like the music in T7. What I'm a bit miffed about is that the PS4 version has the entire sound track of all previous Tekken games on it and you can chose what song you want to play in what stage. I'd absolutely love that for the PC version.
Then again, it's not like you have to have the music on the PC as you can listen to whatever you want anyway.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm
I do have SC2 on my list. For obvious reasons to anybody who's ever played it. Awesome to play, awesome to watch.
I don't know enough about old SF to tell which one would make for a good viewing experience. 3rd Strike can be great or can devolve into OroYun Fighter, which is boring as shit. I don't know how entertaining Super Turbo is to watch and I don't know shit about Alpha in competitive play.

Melee has a fatal flaw for a tournament like EVO: The fans are the biggest cunts you'll find anywhere outside of "When's Mahvel?" faggots and the competitors are always the same. I hope you really like a crowd of stinking fucks booing every game that isn't Melee, including Sm4sh, and watching the same four players all the time. Smash should remain it's separate thing, unless you really care for Twitch views.

I took VF4 over 5 because it's considered a bit better by most people. I don't have any horses in that race so either way will be fine.
I don't care for and don't know anything about animu fighters, so I just left them out entirely.
Tekken 5DR would also be fine but 7 is pretty much a refined version of it. Tiers are super close to each other right now. I just watched CEO and despite Jack being considered B-Tier, just over the terrible C-Tier, there were four Jack players in the top 16. Dragunov was the sole SS-Tier I've seen with only JDCR playing him. SS-Tiers in general are rarely found in top level play right now.
That's the impression I got of Tekken 7 despite not having played it, aka that it is just Tekken 5 DR/ a not-shitty version of Tekken 6, remade for HD game systems with new characters.

When you see low-tier characters in tournament play, consistently, year after year, that's when you know a game is really special. Tiers have to be close for people to play their favorites when money is on the line. I don't know what the tiers are for Tekken 5 DR. Like you, no idea what the tiers are for Alpha 3 if you take V-ism out of the equation.

Bad announcers in Pokken is probably for the same reason you get bad announcers in niche side tourneys like Darkstalkers 3 and Alpha 3. They probably don't play the game or don't care about it.

Not surprised Smash FGC people are cancerous. Nintendo fans in general are. But a tournament focused around having fun and playing fun games competitively should probably have Smash somewhere.

I think it'd be cool to have Tekken 5 DR and Tekken 7 in the same tournament. Maybe they've already done this, I dunno. It'd be neat to see the same people playing both games. My only regret with Tekken 5 DR, and why it's not perfect, is no Leo. I can switch to Kaz, Feng or Dragunov, but no Leo tho. :(

Tag 2 had a lot of problems. Top level players would lose a round and then switch to capo. 3 capos in the fucking game. 2 Lings. 2 Devil Jins. 2 Heihachis, one of which was busted to fuck. Jaycee had 2 versions. King and Armor King. Bob and Thin Bob. But then some characters had no clones, like Leo, Feng and Drag. So some players got off easy and others had to work literally twice as hard to compete at the same level. A Bob player just needs to know fucking Bob. A Feng player needs to know Feng and another entirely different character. And just, WHY 3 capos?!? WHY? Fuck's sake. If they were different, it was hardly at all.

I liked Tag 2 because I got lots of Leo time, but I didn't enjoy too much else. Lars was ok too once I gave him a Grappler Baki customization so he didn't look like such a fruit.
RAPEMAN wrote:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Oh and I picked Virtua Fighter 5 because it's just VF4 with more shit in it, and it's HD. It still looks absolutely gorgeous despite being a launch game(ish) for the 360, and it's not substantially worse in the gameplay.

I haven't played VF in a while, but when I did, I mained Brad. Brad is so much fucking fun to use. He's probably the most legit representation of a kickboxer/muay thai fighter in a game.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:55 pm

A FGC event should not have Melee in it. Maybe Sm4sh but certainly not Melee.
You don't understand, lad. The autism levels are off the charts. They are even more intolerant towards anything that isn't Melee than the FGC is towards Smash. They have their own tournaments and those can be really cool to watch. Everybody is really into the game being played, everyone is hype. But put them together with other fighting games and you've got about a quarter of the crowd being the most annoying and tactless, just straight up disrespectful cunts towards everything that isn't Melee.
And the fucking entitlement and victim-playing is surreal. Melee was DEAD until Brawl put it on life support. It was even more DEAD until Sm4sh repopularized the scene. Did you know that Melee was THE original MLG game? MLG dropped it ultra hard eventually because there was nowhere to go with it. It's pretty much a solved game at this point. Melee is the zombie that doesn't even know he was dead anymore. They ought to be the most grateful crowd ever. Instead, they are more obnoxious than the whole lot of the hooting nigger crowd that is MvC3's scene.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:35 pm

The most telling sign for autism is that Melee Smash players and non-Melee Smash players have basically no overlap whatsoever. They love their Melee so much they even hate all the other Smash games.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:55 pm
Because it's two years old and from Japan. I actually like the music in T7. What I'm a bit miffed about is that the PS4 version has the entire sound track of all previous Tekken games on it and you can chose what song you want to play in what stage. I'd absolutely love that for the PC version.
Then again, it's not like you have to have the music on the PC as you can listen to whatever you want anyway.
I might just have to play it with the KoF14 or Guilty Gear Accent Core soundtrack. Maybe it's just not my style, but man, that soundtrack is like the weirdest stuff I've ever heard in a fighting game. The character select tune is like a slap in the face, and every single stage song I've heard so far is just odd.
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 pm
I haven't played VF in a while, but when I did, I mained Brad. Brad is so much fucking fun to use. He's probably the most legit representation of a kickboxer/muay thai fighter in a game.
Brad is dope.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:34 pm

My King is coming along nicely. I've been doing nothing but practicing chain grabs for the last hours while catching up with some videos. I still have the biggest trouble with the neutral game.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!