Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Taco Jim

Re: Fighting Games

Post by Taco Jim » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:35 am

Welcome to my life as an offline player. Single player always gets the short shrift no matter the genre, and now there are games I can't even play, like the recent Need For Speed because you have to be always online. That's not even mentioning the games I can't play because I can't download a fucking patch to make 'em work because the programmers were too lazy or had some stupid-ass deadline.

Fuck Homefront, basically. And every Madden game since 2008.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:35 pm

It'll be pretty funny in a couple decades when future retro gamers have barely any retro games to show off.

And if Capcom doesn't get it's act together, SFV will be deadeder than the very first game if SFVI comes out*.

*) Now with an improved, user-friendly button layout that replaced all Light and Fierce punches and kicks with special moves!
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:22 pm

Blazblue actually did that with Stylish Mode, and it sucks shit. Not because "newbs can do the game now" but because it screws up a new player's ability to learn how to properly combo. Pressing B and getting a normal is way more useful most of the time than pressing B and getting a super.

Sometimes I accidentally turn on stylish mode and every time, I get blown up for the first 5 seconds of the match before realizing my mistake and quitting back to character select to turn technical back on.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:51 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 am
I really don't understand SFV at all. I guess Capcom is to be commended for insinuating SFV so closely into EVO and the FGC. People in the pro circuit play it all day long even though they don't really like the game.
Money. That's what it's about and nothing else with SFV. Almost all top players, and I mean the very top, can't stand SFV. It gets worse with each season as well.
Well, maybe there is something else. SFIV was fucking shit as well and only got slightly better. However, it DID revive the FGC to some extend for no fault of it's own but name recognition alone. So there's some kinda Stockholm Syndrome situation going on where players are still grateful to the franchise for that, despite hating it.
Casuals have no reason to like the game, though. Maybe ignorance or being a total newfag. I can't think of a fighting game worse for casuals.

Get used to me shilling Tekken 7 by the way. Casuals should pick it up and go play Akuma. Despite being my least favourite shoto, because I find him kinda goofy with his flips and teleports, he's amazingly fun and playing Akuma in the story mode against Heihachi was eye-opening.
If you boil it down to moves, Tekken has a much, much more free system as to how you want to play but still has pretty much everything that SF has. Except for jump-ins and fireballs for the most part but they aren't really missed as they don't work even half as good in a 3D fighter.

Speaking of that, let's talk about general concepts in fightan gaems.
I think that projectiles are massively overrated and aren't necessary. Most fighters have just gotten lazy and copied SF2 way too closely. Not only are they next to useless in 3D fighters but even 2D fighters do well without them. Look at KoF for a nice example of a 2D fighter in which projectiles are nothing but a weak, long-range poke at best.
Hell, in Garou they are often a welcome opportunity for a just defense to heal up a bit. I know the boss helped me greatly for throwing so many Schwarze Flamme at me so I could tank up a bit and get meter. Two full-strenght Buster Wolfs and nearly two live gauges plus getting back into TOP constantly every round you say? Thank you very much!
What do you think about projectiles?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:03 pm

I also like how KoF barely has any traditional Hadokens. It's mostly ground-wave-thingies, funky stuff like K' kick combo Hadoken.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:51 pm
Speaking of that, let's talk about general concepts in fightan gaems.
I think that projectiles are massively overrated and aren't necessary. Most fighters have just gotten lazy and copied SF2 way too closely. Not only are they next to useless in 3D fighters but even 2D fighters do well without them. Look at KoF for a nice example of a 2D fighter in which projectiles are nothing but a weak, long-range poke at best.
Whatever happened to Tekken x Street Fighter, anyways? Is Tekken-Akuma the only glimpse where ever going to see?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

I feel projectiles are often a crutch used by shitty players and Netherrealm fighters like Injustice embody that attitude. I got "into" 2d fighters playing King of Fighters XI and I really like the way KoF handles projectiles. "Zoning" is a boring and lame way to play IMO. There are way more interesting ways to be defensive in a fighting game, like EWGF countering somebody in Tekken with one of the Mishimas.

In fact, projectiles kind of play into why I still only have one character I enjoy playing in Skullgirls (Beowulf of course.) A lot of the other characters have annoying zoning shit. Sure, you can just not use those moves, but having moves that are good and not using them is stupid. There's no reason not to use fireballs when the shit usually can't be punished, which leads to projectile spam and again, that's why top tier matches in MK9 and Injustice often devolved into projectile spa-oh sorry, "pro-skill zoning battles."

I seem to recall Third Strike balancing their projectiles a bit better. I can't back that up with facts, but something about the delay on throwing out a fireball and how easily you could be punished made them less irritating. A lot of characters also either didn't have fireballs or couldn't go fullscreen with them.

Animu fighters are a mixed bag but tend to stick to the Street Fighter standard where fireballs can go fullscreen and a lot of characters have fireball supers. Arcana Heart was pretty unique since they tied about 1/4th of your moveset to this detachable Arcana with its own specials and supers, so a lot of characters could only get their zoning via equipping Arcana for it. Theoretically, every character had access to the same strong zoning game, and it was more about finding the combo of Arcana+Character that met your needs as a player. The Love Arcana could throw out fireballs all day, but the game has a dedicated homing airdash and avoiding projectiles isn't too hard. So you might rather go for Gier for sick mixups, or Water for traps, or Wind for more airdash shenanigans, etc.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Whatever happened to Tekken x Street Fighter, anyways? Is Tekken-Akuma the only glimpse where ever going to see?
As I understand it, Bamco has the rights to still make it, whenever they please if I'm not entirely mistaken, and they are free to put SF characters in Tekken if they feel like it. Akuma was a guaranteed part of that whole deal. Not Bamco's fault that Capcom fucked up so badly with SFxT.

SEE HOW THAT FEELS CAPCOM? DO YOU FUCKING KNOW YET WHAT SNK FANS FELT LIKE BACK WHEN YOU WERE THE FINANCIALLY STRONG COMPANY? FUCK YOU FOR THAT!
Oh I don't fucking forget and I sure don't fucking forgive that shit! I never did, never will! SNK fucked up because they were struggling to even make SvC happen. What did you do? You made sure that all SNK characters were inferior in CvS just to spite SNK and SNK fans, you fucking cunts!
Now it's YOU who are desperate and you fucked up! But look what Bamco does. Did they make Akuma fucking shit? Hell, no! They made him good, hell, even OP for EVO to show people how much fucking better they are at making a fighter with your own characters than you are. SFV Akuma looks like a retard and is fucking trash tier. Tekken Akuma looks great and is good.
FUCKING CHOKE ON IT, CAPCOM!

Excuse me. SNK fanboy rage that has been boiling for decades. The current situation feels like getting sweet revenge.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:39 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:51 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 am
I really don't understand SFV at all. I guess Capcom is to be commended for insinuating SFV so closely into EVO and the FGC. People in the pro circuit play it all day long even though they don't really like the game.
Money. That's what it's about and nothing else with SFV. Almost all top players, and I mean the very top, can't stand SFV. It gets worse with each season as well
Pretty much this, some people got rich from eleague, and everyone says x will kill SFV but overall I think tekken will take away a lot more than injustass could. The only people who keep playing street fighter are the local tournament bums, because not many play online.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Injustice 2 is a massive pile of shit. Expect it to be dead right after this year's EVO. It's ugly, the characters are ugly (seriously, they look like cosplayers) and the gameplay is trash.
Tekken 7 will easily take away the biggest chunk from SFV but SFV will not die unless Capcom can't afford to pump up the prize pools anymore.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm actually surprised in how tightly they hold onto SF. They didn't really show much restraint in axing long-running franchises before.
-Yours Truly