Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Re: Fighting Games

Post by Poonoo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 pm
Poonoo, the PS4 Pro being for 4k is a marketing gimmick. It can't possibly run anything at 4k natively, only upscale so consolefags can buy a 4k TV without ever actually using it at that resolution. It's not like they understand that. It says 4k on the tin so it must be, right? :lol:
I know that, but it's still fucking hilarious. It's like when games were meant to be running at 720p on consoles last gen when many of them ran at SD resolutions, the Haze demo I played looked blurry as shit and I looked up that it had an SD widescreen resolution. Saints Row 2 ran at 640p on the PS3 and I could tell it looked like blurry shit. At one point I thought my TV was a bit crap but then I played games in 1080p on my PC and realised last gen had crap resolutions.

Consolefags are used to games being in shit resolutions. If they have an Xboner then they still haven't experienced 1080p as a standard and both consoles seem to have mostly 30fps as a common frame rate.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Poonoo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 pm
Consolefags are used to games being in shit resolutions. If they have an Xboner then they still haven't experienced 1080p as a standard and both consoles seem to have mostly 30fps as a common frame rate.
That's fucking hilarious when you stop and think about it. The poor morons bought three console generations now (I'm counting this middle generation) in the hopes of finally getting the bog-standard resolution for absolutely everything today and still haven't gotten it.
They are also buying games at $60 a pop. With that shit value and the people accepting it I'm starting to wonder when Apple is going to enter the gaming market.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:26 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 pm
Poonoo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 pm
That's fucking hilarious when you stop and think about it. The poor morons bought three console generations now (I'm counting this middle generation) in the hopes of finally getting the bog-standard resolution for absolutely everything today and still haven't gotten it.
I still can't believe 900p is the standard for the Xboner. It's not even a standard, real resolution anyway.
They are also buying games at $60 a pop. With that shit value and the people accepting it I'm starting to wonder when Apple is going to enter the gaming market.
They killed Nintendo with the phone and tablet market for the casual gaming scene. I know that's not real gaming and all but quite frankly from a businessman's perspective the casual scene is easy money with no risk if you put a bit of marketing money into it.
Old Black Man wrote:
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:02 am

I wanted to link this here because it's one of the best analysis videos I've seen on how the casualization of fighting games is actually destroying them. A lot of genres can be casual, but those games people really respect in the fighting game genre TEND to be pretty balanced. Or at least, deep and with a lot of room for skill. The analysis of luck vs skill in fighting games is spot on, and I think SFIV was the big step Capcom made towards more luck and less skill. Especially Ultras. Comeback mechanics in general suck ass. Being skilled at a fighting game IS a comeback mechanic.

A game like Blazblue, for example, which I've shat on a few times on older DHIs. There are no comeback mechanics in blazblue. You have super, burst and some stat things like "active flow" and negative penalty. Any player can always make a comeback at any time because BOTH players have access to faultless defense, aka a guard move that uses your barrier meter in exchange for not taking chip. Health bars are meaningless in blazblue. Life leads don't matter. The better player usually wins because winning at Blazblue means making the right guesses consistently. You can't get a random hit and combo for 100% like you can in Skullgirls, because combos scale your damage down to nothing before long and your opponent can always burst, block, backdash, jump out, faultless defend, etc. Defensive options are numerous and characters like Tager or Hakumen can play a defensive game for an entire match and then win with high-damage pokes/grapples.

For as much as blazblue has problems, it's still less casual-friendly EVEN WITH EASY OPERATION MODE than SFIV and SFV IMO.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 am

As for consoles and performance, anything less than solid 60fps is unacceptable for a fighting game. Companies that put out games running at lower framerates should be sued. :D
RAPEMAN wrote:

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:58 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:02 am
This is the video I thought it was. The part starting at 1:00 in is all you need to see to know that Street Fighter is more of a casual party game than Smash Bros. He tapped a fucking drum beat to counter Chun Li's super, the input is that fucking lenient that any baby who has played for 5 minutes can be Daigo now.
Old Black Man wrote:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:05 am

Yeah, that was the moment that got to me as well. Ridiculous. Parries in 3rd strike were impressive, especially chaining parries. Now it's just some shit any newb can do with spamming. And all the interviews with the professional players like Daigo are the nail in the coffin. They can't play like they want to because any scrub can do their combos now. Nothing is hard and therefore nothing is impressive anymore.

Capcom and other companies are making fighting games easier so the games are easier to play and anyone can feel like Daigo. :lol:

My execution is fucking shit, but I still don't want these games easier. :lol:
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:41 pm

That would be the best, if there was some EVO champ winning with pure button-mashing.

And I'm not the best fighting game player around, but I always appreciate the sheer amount of levels of skill you can play these at.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 pm
They already did. In 1996.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:03 pm

It obviously failed because it was not called the "iPippin".
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette