Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Fighting Games

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:00 pm

WEW LAD
E
W

L
A
D

Fuck me sideways and call me Nancy that was quick!
Seven Stages, or just about I wasn't counting. Last two fights are Heihachi and Akuma. None of the matches were a challenge and I didn't lose a single round. Beat Akuma and he does some little powering up and the credits roll.
I feel like I'm missing something here. I played on default difficulty, which is Medium. There are three additional difficulties. I wonder if there comes something after Akuma on higher difficulties.

I'll go try on hard.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Nevermind, no point in checking. Just checked YT and there comes nothing after it. Other characters seem to fight Kazumi instead of Akuma but that's it. Takes about ten minutes to play through arcade mode. Seems rather pointless, to be honest.
Sure, it's the arcade mode of the actual cab so it's not a lie but I expected a bit more out of it.

As it stands, Treasure Mode is a much better waste of time. You get customization items for wins and since the AI is always about your rank or over it in case of a promotion match I don't quite see the point of the arcade mode. Only difference is that you don't get the occasional modifier you get in Treasure like double gameplay speed or double damage.
I knew arcade mode didn't have ending videos, which are delivered by the character chapters instead but I still expected a bit more out of it.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Man, that moment when you realize that your integrated GPU has a much better OpenGL Support than your actual gaming GPU, even though said GPU should actually support the required OpenGL version but apparently doesn't because HP can't be arsed to update its special snowflake switchable GPU drivers like ever and fuck cunt shit fuck major shingle depression attack.

Oh well, it's not KOF if I can't count the pixels.

Anyhow, two things almost immediately sprang to mind while checking the game out: I'm kinda sad they didn't go for cel-shading (would've probably looked nicer with the level of detail they were going for, and it'd age better), and why in the unholy name of Orochi is there a Kyary Pamyu Pamyu expy in my KOF game?!

*Makes note to main the shit out of her.*
Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:28 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 pm
Not enough pedobait?
Well, there's this, I guess...
Now that's what I call progressive.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 pm

New post for spoilers. I'll keep the spoiler vague and mild, though. Except for the last paragraph but I'll tell you at that point.
SpoilerShow
So the King of Iron Fist Tournament gets called off at some point in the story. Very early on, actually. Tekken 7 is supposed to be the end of an era for the series but I don't quite see on what era. An end to the Mishima era but there's no fucking way it is. The story ends with a setup for the next Tekken in which Jin and Kazuya will likely have a confrontation so how would Tekken 7 be an end to the Mishima era?
Since the tournament gets called off they decided to not have proper endings for the characters. I fail to see how that fits together. In previous Tekken games you could play through arcade mode and get a "what if this fighter won the tournament" video. It doesn't matter if it's considered canon or not so why worry here?

The character episodes don't all conform to the same canon either. Most of the time the same two characters fight each other. If you pick Lucky Cloe you fight Eddy, if you pick Eddy you fight Cloe (which turns out to be less annoying than I thought since she's a popstar and that cat shit is an act she drops in her "ending"). Both endings can't be canon.
The endings are also of no consequence at all. No character arc is finished, no conclusion is reached. Eddy wants to confront Kazuya for revenge but doesn't get to meet him. No single character's motivations are fulfilled in the character chapters. Hell, Bob doesn't even arrive at the tournament in the first place but runs into Brian. They fight, one wins, you get a video about that about one minute long at best and that's it.

I really don't know how to feel about this. The characters that play a role in the main story mode don't even get a character chapter. Jin does fuckall the entire game and has no chapter.
I wonder if the game mode will expand the story in some way. As it stands now it feels incomplete. You get a conclusion for Heihachi and a very good setup for the next game for Kazuya, Jin, Lars, Lee and even Akuma. It answers much about the devil gene and the family relations of the Mishimas.
On the other hand you get nothing for the other characters. You don't get to find out who Gigas is, Katharina gets nowhere, Eddy gets nowhere, Kuma is recruiting people for the Tekken force in one ending, has a funny ending and is taking place in the tournament in Paul's chapter.
There is no consistency in either of the endings of the chapters. I think it's safe to say that nothing is canon. The tournament doesn't even get to an end and there's unfinished business for pretty much everyone.

Right, massive spoiler: Heihachi dies. Whoop-de-fucking-doo. That's how many times he died now? His head is pretty much the logo for Tekken so I don't believe for a second that he stays dead. Dropped in a volcano as a canon ending is what Heihachi did to Kazuya and that guy also came back.
The story mode, while awesome, isn't an end to an era and concludes nothing. There just must be something coming.

As a fighting game Tekken 7 is amazingly good. It does change up things and those changes are all good while staying a fairly orthodox entry in the series.
The story mode is good but that comes at the price of a satisfying ending for all other characters that don't have Mishima as a last name. Not even for them I'd call the end "coming to a conclusion". They are clearly coming back for the next Tekken so how is that a conclusion?
If you're not ever planning on playing other people I'm not sure how happy you'll be in the long run. I'm sure arcade on Ultra Hard is a really good challenge and treasure mode is fun. But will that really keep you playing for long?

I can't really call it bad for single players either, though. Looking back, the only difference between this game's arcade mode and those of the other games is that the ending videos aren't satisfying and are hidden in the character chapters. So I can't really call it super different. It does feel like there's still more story to come, though.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm

And seriously, what's up with fucking Injustice 2? Is Netherrealm suddenly a feminist developer or something? Did they TRY to make every character as mundane or ugly-looking as possible?
And the zoning. For fuck's sake! You either don't see any hand-to-hand combos or close to infinite loops. Ridiculous!
It's like a train wreck - I can't look away.

Edit: Ahahahahahahaaa, those fall and standup animations after a sweep! They must be taking the piss! :lol:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm
And seriously, what's up with fucking Injustice 2? Is Netherrealm suddenly a feminist developer or something? Did they TRY to make every character as mundane or ugly-looking as possible?
And the zoning. For fuck's sake! You either don't see any hand-to-hand combos or close to infinite loops. Ridiculous!
It's like a train wreck - I can't look away.

Edit: Ahahahahahahaaa, those fall and standup animations after a sweep! They must be taking the piss! :lol:
The zoning shit has always been a huge fucking problem in Injustice. Even at tournaments where top-level players are going up against each other, what did you see? Superman fucking spamming eye lasers. :lol:

Also the art direction is total garbage. MK9 went for the opposite nonfeminist extreme, where every woman was dressed like an uberwhore. Both versions looked pretty ugly TBH. I think MKX was a massive improvement. Designs were better (Kitana actually looked cool) and they brought in some interesting new characters.

Sure, in terms of fidelity, I guess the new Injustice looks "better," but the art direction is ugly as fuck.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:56 am

At least Supergirl is not an overweight transperson.

And holy shit K' has two new follow-ups to Ein Trigger. Sweet.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 pm

tictac, you're right. There used to be a shortcut for EWGF. It's not in 7 anymore. You are either on point as fuck, which seems to be easier for me to do in a match than in practice mode, or you get a regular one. Regular is -10 on block so can only be punished by jab, electric is +5.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:39 am

Oh, okay cool. I'm fine with EWGF being harder to do.

Jesus Christ +5 on block? That does not sound like how it used to be. I seem to recall the old one was 14 frames.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:22 am

+5 on block and with massive pushback. Hits high, though. Nothing feels worse than having a fucker duck under it.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!