PUBG

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: PUBG

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:17 am

I was wondering about that. Just how long does a game based on Battle Royal last? Is that even a good source material for a quick online shooter format?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 am

A game like Battle Royal could never work as a pure shooter. It would need to be more of a melee hybrid game like Devil's Third, Breakdown, Dead Rising 2 or stealth-hybrid-horror like Hitman, Thief or Siren Blood Curse. The zombie survival game State of Decay could probably be modded to a Battle Royale game with some kind of total conversion mod.

The reason Battle Royale works when those other Hunger Games shitters failed is because the violence is properly horrific, like it would be if you actually stabbed a guy to death in real life. A game would need to convey that properly, which means some kind of horror hybrid, probably with stealth since real-life people can't take a lot of punishment. MGS3 had a first aid system and you'd probably need something like that too.

I don't know if that's what PUBG is, but I think they probably don't have the horror element down in any case. Horror is hard to do when you bring in multiplayer. I'm picturing more of an Arkham Asylum 3d metroidvania world design with tight plotting in a semi-open series of arenas. Following the script of Battle Royale would probably work well, since your dude would start with a frying pan or some bullshit like that. Getting new weapons and camping gear would be like upgrading your varia suit in muh metroidvania.

The new Womb Raider was kind of like this at the start. It had too many roller coaster set pieces, however. Also, dudes died too easy. Killing 1 guy in a battle royale game should feel like killing a boss in any other game.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Something like MGS3 could work, with maybe some roguelike randomization for each playthrough.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 am
I don't know if that's what PUBG is
Nope. It's exactly what I said it is. It's DayZ without zombies.
You drop per parachute into the game area, wherever you want. Then you go and try find weapons and all that stuff, exactly like in DayZ. The only difference is that the play area has a circular boundary around it that procedually gets smaller and smaller every few minutes. It takes about 20 minutes for it to get really small. If you're outside of the boundary you'll die.
So it's DayZ in a small area that gets smaller to force combat. The goal is to be the last man standing. Gameplay-wise it's 100% Arma, just not as clunky.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Circular? Battle Royal used quadratic zones, dammit. This is a terrible rippoff.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:00 pm

It's to BR what Cold Steel the Hedgeheg is to Sanic. Original game design do not steal!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:08 pm

It has much better controls than DayZ, or ARMA. I can tell just from watching it, because I've played a lot of ARMA and DayZ, and not many games can get close to how bad those controls are...

As for originality, I believe the guy (Unknownuser, what a name!) was behind the first Battle Royale mod for DayZ, so if that's the case, he's like a more successful Dean Hall, who hasn't destroyed his name in the industry (yet).

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:09 pm

You'd be hard pressed to make as shit or worse controls than ARMA has even if you tried.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:28 pm

I never got the appeal of these games. It's basically oldschool deathmatch with autism injected. Instead of having a small and reasonable map, it's 10 million times bigger. Also if you are some fat loser Youtube nobody you are basically a VIP :lol:

>The Developers of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds reportedly issued a 7 day ban of a player accused of stream sniping without what could be considered solid evidence. As a result of this, they are left defending their actions against an internet uproar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfxnETyAKyE

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Now that's some quality PR stunt. I guess they hired a forum mod.

And it really is oldschool deathmatch, expect with a "looting prologue" before the actual match that probably takes up most of the actual playtime.
Could anyone imagine something like a fighting game where you have to waste at least 10 minutes on a training montage mini-game before each match?
-Yours Truly