Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Johnny

Re: Retro Games

Post by Johnny » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 am
it'd still be pretty much the best video game adaptation.

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie says "hi". Or are we pretending that doesn't exists anymore because it was made 20 years ago?

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:42 pm

That one's overshadowed by the live-action movie in due to being campier. There can only be one in the public conscious.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Most of the public are plebs who never venture outside their comfort zone, although I do have a soft spot for the JCVD version of Street Fighter. It's not the most accurate adaptation ever, given how it messes up most of the characters, but it's a pretty entertaining action flick and I don't really hold it against them for taking the liberties they took. Which makes more sense as a protagonist for a Hollywood adaptation of a fighting game? The wandering Japanese karateka whose only motive is self-enlightenment, or the All-American badass seeking to avenge his dead friend from the vaguely communist-looking dicator hosting the tournament?

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:17 am

Johnny wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm
Most of the public are plebs who never venture outside their comfort zone, although I do have a soft spot for the JCVD version of Street Fighter. It's not the most accurate adaptation ever, given how it messes up most of the characters, but it's a pretty entertaining action flick and I don't really hold it against them for taking the liberties they took. Which makes more sense as a protagonist for a Hollywood adaptation of a fighting game? The wandering Japanese karateka whose only motive is self-enlightenment, or the All-American badass seeking to avenge his dead friend from the vaguely communist-looking dicator hosting the tournament?
That and people mostly playing shoto characters wasn't a thing then. When I played it as a kid, the adults in my family who gave it a shot always chose Guile. Him being the main character wasn't known to anyone since no one played Street Fighter 1, they could have put any character in the lead and it would have been canon.

But yeah, the animated movie is fucking great. It doesn't have some deep plot or anything, it's just a great action movie with a lot of quotable one liners with every character involved in some fight. Lots of fight scenes, which is all you bloody want. The main problem I had as a kid with the live action movie was that there was fuck all hadokens and sonic booms, shit like that, while the Mortal Kombat movie had all of that in it. That's why that movie was popular and got a sequel.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:26 am

Such a shame the Mortal Kombat sequel turned out to be such a turd. They couldn't even get Connor McLeod to reprise the role of Rayden.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 am

Finished Wario Land 2. That Pirate Queen is sexy, I tell you hwat. It's a shame she doesn't show up more often.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am

The only thing I remember about SF2 movie is Chun-li's boobs.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm

That's the only thing anyone remembers
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:06 pm

For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am
The only thing I remember about SF2 movie is Chun-li's boobs.
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm
That's the only thing anyone remembers
And it's a good reason to remember the movie as any other.

I remember when Game Players got a couple of hate mail for publishing a screenshot of that scene and nobody took them too seriously. If it was some shitrag like Kotaku back then, they would've pandered to them and go on to publish a long-winded editorial about how Chun-Li's shower scene if an affront to everything good and decent the character stood for and how they felt "LITERALLY RAPED" watching the scene.