Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Retro Games

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Guest wrote:Besides, I don't see how a generic football player from Tecmo Bowl could make for an interesting playable character. How is he going to fight off a massive horde of demons? By tackling them?
Yes. Maybe throwing a handegg at them as well.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Come on guys. He can have a Musou Attack where he just sprints through a bunch of mooks to score an exploding touchdown.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:06 pm

Bo Jackson would be OP as fuck.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:24 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:Probably the weirdest is their main line Dynasty Warriors. I mean, there's only so much you can do adapting the same tale over and over and over again. There aren't really many reasons to ever own more than one game of that franchise for some mindless button-mashing.

Also I miss God Hand. Probably could've used an additional difficulty setting since the jump from level 3 to DIE is a bit batshit, but it's still really friggin' good.
I was thinking about God Hand a lot the other day, actually. I might plug my PS2 back in JUST to play that game.

Good beat em ups are a lot like fighting games, except against many opponents. That's what separates them from "stylish action" DMC games and Musou garbage. Boss fights in God Hand, like Elvis, really show how much like a fighting game this shit becomes.

Probably the only thing I don't like about God Hand is the way difficulty works. Easy Mode is ridiculously easy. It caps at level 2 difficulty, which is nuts. But Normal mode is even more nuts because it punishes you for doing well, and the amount of punishment is way out of proportion to how well you do. The jump from Level 1 to Level 2 is nothing. Level 2 to Level 3 is pretty significant, yeah, but it's still completely fair at Level 3. But then, you might find yourself doing just a bit TOO well and hit level DIE. BAM YOU GONNA GET FUCKED SON. Suddenly you have to completely change your tactics because some moves will always get hard countered and enemy speed goes through the roof. Multiple demons on Level DIE? Hope you got gud! And the amount of damage goes up too IIRC, so it's very common for a player to do well for levels 1-3, then hit Level DIE near the end of the level and get bitchslapped into death.

I think all this works much better in the boss fights. In boss fights, dealing with Level Die bosses is part of the game. It's still only one opponent, so it's more manageable when they flip out and go nuts on you.

Anyway, God Hand is the best 3D beat em up ever made. Shaolin Monks and Urban Reign are probably tied for 2nd though.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:32 am

Oh and I've been playing the SNK Arcade collection volume 1 aka the only one. It's ok. The compilation itself feels budget as fuck, like SNK grabbed roms of the internet and put them on a disc. The first iterations of each SNK fighting game are pretty bad, minus KoF '94. Baseball Stars 2 is probably the best arcade baseball game. It has some amazing sprite art and I'm pretty sure it's what Araki was ripping off for Stardust.

Metal Slug is Metal Slug. I saw Bunnyhop reviewing Metal Slug 1 and he actually said it was "too hard." WTF man. MS1 is one of the easiest slugs.

Sengoku and Burning Fight are beat em ups. Burning Fight is a shameless SNK Final Fight ripoff. Sengoku doesn't seem nearly as good as its sequels.

I think the standout games in the collection were Baseball Stars 2, Metal Slug and SHOCK TROOPERS.

Shock Troopers is really fucking cool.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shockt ... oopers.htm

Shock Troopers is like Capcom's Mercs except better in every way. Better visuals, better feedback, faster gameplay, tighter controls and more characters.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:51 am

I think I got some of those in a Bundle. At MS1 being too hard? Dude should try out 3, where the last level is like 50% of the game :lol:
rabidtictac wrote:Probably the only thing I don't like about God Hand is the way difficulty works. Easy Mode is ridiculously easy. It caps at level 2 difficulty, which is nuts. But Normal mode is even more nuts because it punishes you for doing well, and the amount of punishment is way out of proportion to how well you do. The jump from Level 1 to Level 2 is nothing. Level 2 to Level 3 is pretty significant, yeah, but it's still completely fair at Level 3. But then, you might find yourself doing just a bit TOO well and hit level DIE. BAM YOU GONNA GET FUCKED SON. Suddenly you have to completely change your tactics because some moves will always get hard countered and enemy speed goes through the roof. Multiple demons on Level DIE? Hope you got gud! And the amount of damage goes up too IIRC, so it's very common for a player to do well for levels 1-3, then hit Level DIE near the end of the level and get bitchslapped into death.
That's why I'd like something like a level 4. It feels kinda dickish to go all "Feeling competent? Well, how about we turn every enemy into a boss?!"

I had fun with the "Kick Me!" challenge, but playing on hard mode, where everything is DIE all the time? That's almost like a SNK Boss marathon. I think I have better chances beating a Bullet Hell Shooter on higher difficulty settings.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:16 am

I never liked the KMS challenge run because I like using all the mechanics. It's more fun to flip out and go nuts with insane superfast ATATATATATA/ORAORAORAORA/MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA in god mode, or kick a guy in the nuts so you can chain granny punches like a scrub for fast god mode recharging. But to each their own. There's no wrong way to play God Hand as long as people play it.

In fact, the only thing I would argue is OP in God Hand are the drunken fist moves. They're right on that line of being too good, especially the punches that have head/high auto-dodge. Up dodge is already the most OP dodge type in the game.

Oh and the final boss is piss-easy and weak. But that's such a minor nitpick when almost every other boss is A+++ fantastic. The robot guy and Elvis are probably my favorites. I used to play against the robot so much that I felt like a failure if I got hit. He telegraphs all his moves really obviously.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Well, I only did it once to unlock some music. Definitely like it more with Ball Busters.

Elvis and the robot are my faves as well. Totally dig the fights and their themes.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Robot guy on level DIE is great fun. Devil Hand on DIE? Fuck that. 2fast4me. But the robot guy is about right. The stripper character is great too, especially the OMGWTFBBQ demon form that you have to fight totally differently. She has great music as well.

My favorite *fight* in the entire game, however, is probably Tiger Joe. I'm sure he'd wreck my shit if I tried to fight him now on anything higher than level 2.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:32 am
Oh and I've been playing the SNK Arcade collection volume 1 aka the only one.
There was a Volume 0 for PSP which included a bunch of their pre-Neo Geo arcade games like Guerrilla Wars and P.O.W.