Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Retro Games

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Hmm, could be an okay game then. The zombie russian bum fights shit still looks like it's trying too hard to be edgy though, they even do a prison gangrape gag because PRISON RAPE AMIRITE. What's wrong with beating up gang members as a random dude? Why you gotta be a zambie hobo or some crazy fantasy shit?
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Read the game description on Steam. It's top cringe.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Every beat-'em-up has thugs and shit. Ya gotta stand out, man.

(Though punching zombies sounds like a you're just asking to get infected.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:12 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:Every beat-'em-up has thugs and shit. Ya gotta stand out, man.
No. First off, there's nothing wrong with thugs, any more than it's wrong for a platformer to have platforms you jump across. But also, if you really look at beat em ups, you realize more probably don't have street gangs and thugs than do. I'd find a good gang thugz brawler downright refreshing after all this fantasy shit with zombies, medieval and whatever else.

The thug warz type of beat em up has a perfect excuse for you to start out with bare fists and get weapons only as temporary power ups. Other brawlers usually give you some retarded guns and fantasy weapons. One way to get around guns would be to set a beat em up in a country with strict gun laws, like Japan or one of them asian countries. It makes perfect sense for guns to be super rare in those games.

I like the Yakuza games but they take forever to be localized and include a lot of Jap culture shit I don't care about, like pop idols and crane games.
RAPEMAN wrote:

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Beat'em ups in '80s and early '90s are basically thug/gang wars, sword&magic fantasy or kung-fu ninja shit, maybe because action movies were like that.
Thug war type setting is getting rare these days. I really need classic thug war beat'em-ups WITHOUT mini/chibi characters and NES-ish graphics.

And a remake/sequel of Outfoxies (I know it's irrelevant but I had to say it)
SpoilerShow
rabidtictac wrote:What's wrong with beating up gang members as a random dude? Why you gotta be a zambie hobo or some crazy fantasy shit?
There is no zombie in the game. It's about some drug similar to that valhara thing in Max Payne. You get bunch of thugs, military personnel, dogs and gay/trans faggots. There is no kung-fu karate ninja master though.

I guess developers went kinda edgy because they played Hotline Miami too much, watched B-movies too much or they just wanted to recapture the atmosphere of gritty old arcade games...? I don't know. I think the game isn't taking itself seriously that much (e.g. 1, 2) but YMMV.
Kugelfisch wrote:Read the game description on Steam. It's top cringe.
Whoever wrote that clearly didn't play the game.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:51 pm

rabidtictac wrote:No. First off, there's nothing wrong with thugs, any more than it's wrong for a platformer to have platforms you jump across.
I know, but everyone wants more flashy stuff these days.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Joe Roscoe

Post by Joe Roscoe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:09 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Kugelfisch wrote:Mother Russia Bleeds looks like shit. Trying way too hard to be super edgy.
Yeah. I saw the best friends guys playing it and it looked edgecore to the max. I Am The Hero or whatever that's called looked better, but it had a ton of air juggling in it and I disagree very strongly with people (Woolie has outright said this) who think brawlers need those juggles. IMO a smartly-designed brawler is all about having a core set of moves and then putting you through the wringer and forcing you to learn how to use every piece of your toolkit intelligently. Simple games, but not simplistic.

Golden Axe 3, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, River City Ransom and Final Fight are prime examples of what I'm saying and what I like.
Well these are some beat em ups that are coming out soon

Paprium, from the developers of Pier Solar, being developed for the Sega Genesis, basically Streets of Rage with cyberpunk theme

Another spiritual successor to Streets of Rage, The Takeover, from the developers of 90s Arcade Racer

Plus River City Ransom: Underground and Double Dragon IV came recently on Steam though haven't heard good things about Double Dragon IV

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 am

Paprium looks alright but that Takeover game looks like hot garbage. 3D models in 2D games generally look like shit, especially if they're as fucking ugly as those.

I heard both RCR:U and DD4 are mediocre at best.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Paprium sounded like shit, but actually looks really promising. Big, beautiful sprite work with a distinctive art style. Nice. Could have done with less shitty live-action musclemen/women, though.

As for the other game, 3D models just never seem to move right in 2D. I've yet to play a 3d-modeled 2D game where I was completely satisfied with the graphics. And of course, if your budget is small, 3D models look really fucking shitty. 2D art can look great on a small budget.

Underground seems like a prime example of wasted potential. It seemed so promising, but I've heard a lot of negative consumer reviews of the game that really don't encourage me to give it a shot. It'd be different if I thought there was even a chance of RCR: U actually being a better game than the original RCR or the GBA version, but there isn't.

I'm tempted to plug in my old SNES and go cart hunting for old super nintendo beat em ups since it seems there are more than a few I missed.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:25 pm

In it's current state I'd say grab RCR:U when it's on offer for 5 bucks. Otherwise treat it like an Early Acces title. I'll tell you guys when it's up to snuff and worth the asking price if that ever happens.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!