When's "popular gaming" going to die?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: When's "popular gaming" going to die?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Ya Amber Heard Me?! wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am
Shit like that is why I don't want Legacy of Kain to come back. It'll be filled with shit about fake news and alternative vampire facts. Fucking hippies ruining every fucking thing always.
But it'd be really hard for them to pull that off considering both Raziel and Kain wanted to make Nosgoth great again.

Well, I suppose they can always make a reboot where Kain is Literal Vampire Trump and Raziel is transgender.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Ya Amber Heard Me?! wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am
Shit like that is why I don't want Legacy of Kain to come back. It'll be filled with shit about fake news and alternative vampire facts. Fucking hippies ruining every fucking thing always.
At the same time, I really wish we could get a full HD remake a la Resident Evil REmake for Soul Reaver 1, 2 and LoK Defiance. We never will, but I wish we could. They could use the old audio so that they wouldn't have to recast new voice talent to replace the amazing Tony Jay.

The problem with the old LoK games is they feel really old now. The gameplay is clunky and unnecessarily obtuse. Still some of the best storytelling in vidya.

RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Don't forget the kickass soundtracks. Gives me the shivers every time.

And the gameplay is not just clunky and obtuse. The main problem is that most entries definitely focused more on the plot than the actual gameplay - especially Soul Reaver 2 aka Backtrack Corridor Boogaloo.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 pm

I remember some of the mechanics in Soul Reaver 1 had me scratching my head because they were so ass-backwards and unintuitive. It was like, press this button in this place at this time and it opens up this menu and then you can cycle these options which weren't explained and this lets you do a thing. But don't do it now! Because you can't take it back!

There were rarely any proper tutorials for anything, just (if you were lucky) maybe a cutscene where Raziel would tell you some shit WITHOUT SUBTITLES and you'd better listen up, fag.

No doubt someone will call me a scrub. I beat LoK Defiance and that one was the best in terms of gameplay. It was right on the line of just modern/good-feeling enough in terms of controls and design to be playable today. Well, they're all "playable" but this series would benefit greatly from a remake that took out some of the pointless bullshit and improved the controls. Unlike Resident Evil 2, the archaic design decisions in the Soul Reaver games don't improve the gameplay like item boxes, tank controls and limited ammo/saves did for RE.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:44 pm

The first Soul Reaver really suffered form them having to scratch several levels and mechanics. Stuff like the glyph spells you can find almost feel like an afterthought in the process.

Defiance was definitely a step up from Soul Reaver's 2 combat, where enemies are such block whores that you either resort to a cheap infinite hitstun combo or just run past everything. Defiance instead feels like a DMC clone that replaced difficulty and sophistication with incredibly fun telekinesis shenanigans.
Something like Defiance with the open-ish, puzzle-heavy world of Soul Reaver 1 would be pretty sweet.
-Yours Truly

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 am

I've tried Soul Reaver several years ago and couldn't get into it for exactly same reason, it just didn't grab me at the time. Recently, I've discovered that first Tomb Raider hasn't aged as terrible as I would think, the controls really aren't that bad - check this out, it's pretty cool: http://xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/

As for Uncharted, I think tictac is being hysterical once again. I haven't played any of them, just saw bits and pieces, but I've played both new Tomb Raiders and I've really enjoyed them. It depents on whenever the cinematic experience is decent or trash (bad writing certainly contributing to that), but like I've said before, I see no problem with those games existing, even if they're not for the most hardcore retro gamers that are seemingly occupying this forum. The direct influence of gaming is a different thing, but I would say MOBAs and VR are far worse in terms of what influences AAA gaming nowdays.

What seems like absolute garbage and mockery is Dead Rising 4. A complete misunderstanding of what made the series great and a douchy hipster game director in the pre-release interviews gave away how much of a shit game it's going to be.

On the other hand, I've just finished Far Cry Primal and it's was a pretty damn good ride, despite for mediocre reviews, the game is much better than FC4, which ironically had better reception, because people are fucking hypocrites and sheeps. Just so I can lose even more of my gamer cred, I am looking forward for Ubisoft to show new AssCreed in hopes that it's good. Now go at me, faggots, I'll take as many of you down with me as I can!

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 pm

The camera in that browser Tomb Raider is going apeshit for me. It's constantly spinning from top to bottom in a circle. I don't feel like turning off all kinds of devices for that.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Seele

Post by Seele » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 am
What seems like absolute garbage and mockery is Dead Rising 4. A complete misunderstanding of what made the series great and a douchy hipster game director in the pre-release interviews gave away how much of a shit game it's going to be.
This video pretty much says it all.

God's in his Heaven/All's right with the world

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 pm
The camera in that browser Tomb Raider is going apeshit for me. It's constantly spinning from top to bottom in a circle. I don't feel like turning off all kinds of devices for that.
In firefox it's fine.

@Seele Yes, our dear hoarder CrowbCat releasing more shitty videos as he bathes in newfound popularity. I saw it.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 am
I've tried Soul Reaver several years ago and couldn't get into it for exactly same reason, it just didn't grab me at the time. Recently, I've discovered that first Tomb Raider hasn't aged as terrible as I would think, the controls really aren't that bad - check this out, it's pretty cool: http://xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/
Dear lord, the controls. Raziel just freaks out every time I try to play SR1 with an analogue stick. Had to use XPadder.
On the other hand, I've just finished Far Cry Primal and it's was a pretty damn good ride, despite for mediocre reviews, the game is much better than FC4, which ironically had better reception, because people are fucking hypocrites and sheeps. Just so I can lose even more of my gamer cred, I am looking forward for Ubisoft to show new AssCreed in hopes that it's good. Now go at me, faggots, I'll take as many of you down with me as I can!
Game journalists identify more with the hipsters showing up in recent FCs than with cavemen.
-Yours Truly