Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
RAPEMAN
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Post by RAPEMAN » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:06 am

I also want to bring up Sega's Final Fantasy solution: Phantasy Star series for the Genesis. Back when Final Fantasy was still fantasy, Phantasy Star was it's sci-fi equivalent.

Also, has anyone notice Final Fantasy completely lost it's original tone?
SpoilerShow
EVERY POST I HAVE EVER MADE HERE IS SATIRE. I DO NOT CONDONE NOR SUPPORT ANY OF THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ON THIS FORUM.

Seele

Post by Seele » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:31 am

Poonoo wrote:I remember during Gamergate some anime dub added a potshot at Gamergate in an anime that didn't mention it at all and changed the tone of the conversation entirely just to ram their politics in there. It was weird that they did that, since the anime was some retarded shit with the female characters having cartoon sized tits.
That would be the English dub of Prison School. Some jackass translator thought it would be clever to spite 'em by altering a line of dialogue. Predictably, this pissed people off, but Funimation staff were like "Deal with it, we have money!" and they got off scott free. It only ended up damaging the studio's remaining credibility in the end, but they still made profit from DVD/Bluray sales regardless.

RAPEMAN wrote:Also, has anyone notice Final Fantasy completely lost it's original tone?
Final Fantasy's been going downhill ever since the turn of the century, which would be around the time FFX & FF: The Spirits Within were released back in 2001. It was also the time series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi left the company, and its continued downward spiral, in terms of quality, reflects this.
God's in his Heaven/All's right with the world

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:47 am

Weird how people can rag on the "try-hard grimdark animu" aspect of Final Fantasy and recommend VI with a straight face. That game is try-hard grimdark at its very core, not to mention an absolutely dull combat system that was a major step back to V. It only has a reputation due to the legions that played it on the SNES back in the day, and saw what a big advancement it was compared to II, when in the grand scheme of things it innovates very little.

It also seems to be the flag to stand under for people that hate the PS1 games (save the hipster classic IX) even though VII and VIII are much better.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 am

VIII is better than VI? What crack are you smoking, bro? VIII has all that ridiculous SEED bullshit. FFVI is relatively straightforward. There's a crazy evil dude who manipulates an empire to destroy the world. And he succeeds. Then he becomes a god, you rebuild your party and kick his ass.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Almost forgot about that animu dub thing. Who needs artistic integrity, or the willingness to make a faithful localization, when you can instead take cheap jabs at people (who are probably part of your customer base btw). This will totally not look dated and embarassing in a few months at all.

But you know what would really get the masses to rise up and overthrow the evil dictator Trump? Some tiny little "improvements" to the Western release of that FF7 remake. To "update" this timeless classic for a new millenium:
  • Aerith and Sephiroth will be renamed into "Hillaerith" and "Trumpiroth", to make the story easily accesible to everyone.
  • Shinra? More like "Emra"! Geddit?!
  • Cloud will be voiced by Shia LaBouf (with crappy sound quality since I don't think he'd leave his bunker or wherever he's holed up), and his Final Limit Break will be upgraded into "You Can Not Divide Us!"
  • The silly quest early on where Cloud has to dress up as a girl will trigger a transexual awakening. Henceforth, he shall be known as Cloudea.
  • Cid is a rather problematic and outdated character, since he is the only male in the group who is neither black, queer-looking or a furry. So let's make him a post-op, voiced by none other than JesuOtaku.
  • Speaking of problematic: Having your lazy Lavos-ripoff be an evil woman is out of the question. She will be rebranded "Patriarchy", and her model will be replaced with something that looks suspiciously like Putin.
  • The Knights of the Round get replaced with The Warriors of Social Justice.
  • The last dungoen is the Cathedral of Misogyny.
RAPEMAN wrote:I also want to bring up Sega's Final Fantasy solution: Phantasy Star series for the Genesis. Back when Final Fantasy was still fantasy, Phantasy Star was it's sci-fi equivalent.
I should really get into Phantasy Star it some point in the future.
Vulcan wrote:Weird how people can rag on the "try-hard grimdark animu" aspect of Final Fantasy and recommend VI with a straight face. That game is try-hard grimdark at its very core, not to mention an absolutely dull combat system that was a major step back to V. It only has a reputation due to the legions that played it on the SNES back in the day, and saw what a big advancement it was compared to II, when in the grand scheme of things it innovates very little.
I think th emost hilarious thing about VI is how it was kinda "broken" in its original incarnation, with one character having a Sketch ability that could break the game, or that fun bit where the Blind status did absofucking nothing because the game used Magical Evasion even for physical stuff.

Still like the characters, though.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:26 pm

I never understood the fanboy wars between VI and VII on forums. They're pretty similar games (by the same director even) with a similar structure and similar mechanics. It's all just millenials fighting over which of "babby's first JRPG" was better.

I sometimes wonder how these kinds of internet discussions would've been like if Square had actually localized all the NES/SNES Final Fantasy games back when they should have instead of just I, IV and VI. Or if Dragon Quest was actually a popular series in the west instead of just some "old Japanese thing that's still around".

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:43 pm

rabidtictac wrote:VIII is better than VI? What crack are you smoking, bro? VIII has all that ridiculous SEED bullshit. FFVI is relatively straightforward. There's a crazy evil dude who manipulates an empire to destroy the world. And he succeeds. Then he becomes a god, you rebuild your party and kick his ass.
The story in VIII isn't any good (that's an understatement) but it has a fun, creative if flawed battle system whereas VI is just bland and uninteresting and ultimately that's why I play video games. VIII also has my favourite soundtrack in any video game and whilst VI's is good it doesn't compare. Even though the story is decent in VI it has a lot of forgettable characters and Terra is just completely unlikable

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Johnny wrote:I sometimes wonder how these kinds of internet discussions would've been like if Square had actually localized all the NES/SNES Final Fantasy games back when they should have instead of just I, IV and VI. Or if Dragon Quest was actually a popular series in the west instead of just some "old Japanese thing that's still around".
You'd have a generation of fanboys mourning Galuf for the Grampa Kamina he was.

(Also if you play through the whole game without using any Job, you totally get him back into the party!)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Ya Amber Heard me?!

Post by Ya Amber Heard me?! » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm

FF VIII is easily the superior game. I used to get nostalgic for VII, but there have been so many damn spin-offs and lame-ass CG movies that I just hate it now. And that nerd weeping for that chick who gets stabbed is just ridiculous.

Quistis is the ultimate hot teacher.

JL Unlimited

Post by JL Unlimited » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:Who needs artistic integrity
Artistic integrity? For fucking Prison School!?

Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm
You're a bunch of monkeys dancing for shekels. Dance and keep your pie holes shut, monkeys. Your dumbass opinions aren't wanted and aren't valid.