Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Seele

Re: Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Post by Seele » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 am

Charlar wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 am
So where 15 quality overallfalls in the FF series ? I mean is it better than the 13s, 10s and other final fantasy that are well know for being bad? Is it equally bad as those?
FFXV is slightly better than any of the XIII games, but that honestly doesn't say much, and that's as far as it goes. As a whole, it's an unfinished mess with bloated "open world" zones, a half-baked excuse for a story that got divided across the game itself along with a terrible CG movie & a boring anime which makes the whole experience ultimately feel rushed (especially by the latter half of the plot), bland characters that are literal walking cliches with no subtlety (the obvious villain is a complete fag more so than either Sephiroth or Kuja), extremely repetitive fetch quests (find dog tags, find car paint, find frogs, find ingredients, find fish, etc.), poor excuses for dungeons that (most of which) can take no longer than 15 minutes to finish, a terrible 13th chapter, a broken inconsistent combat system that feels like the aborted monstrosity of both KH + Dragon's Dogma, cutscene-regulated summons that have the most limited control of any FF game to date since you can only summon them randomly when the game feels like it, an OP spell system since spells are now grenades that you harvest and mix up to create total fuck off magic that can kill a boss in 1 hit, and a piss-easy final boss (easiest in the series by far) followed by a pretentiously sappy finale. Additionally, the driving controls for the pointless car are fucking terrible since you're constantly railroaded to the streets thus making manual driving an afterthought, and it's the shortest Final Fantasy ever if you stick to the main story missions only. All those talks about "expanding the open world" were blatantly unsurprising lies. They were too overambitious and ended up with wasted potential in the end.

Speaking of easy, this whole cakewalk of a tech demo for a game was the easiest Final Fantasy ever since it was designed for normies/casuals to gravitate towards. It's the Square Enix equivalent to a Bethesda game in its sandbox approach and numerous glitches. I'd go as far as to say it was easier than Mystic Quest, and that was made purposefully easy for the sake of appealing to Western noobs. This shit, however, was barely much of a challenge at all, and Square seemed serious about committing to casual tards through this laughable sentence when starting the game:

*First-Timers*

They can go fuck themselves.

Here's a comment Larry left on RazorFist's review of XV, to which I agree with. The game is an aimless technical showcase that was bastardized through its initial development as Versus XIII (AKA a spinoff) before being slaughtered & resurrected as an undesirable numbered title with an identity crisis.
Larry Bundy Jr4 months ago
To me it just felt like they forgot they were making a Final Fantasy game a third of the way through and wanted to make Fallout instead.
Last edited by Seele on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
God's in his Heaven/All's right with the world

Mynameisnotimportant

Post by Mynameisnotimportant » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Whoa I completely forgot about FF Mystic Quest. The only thing they got right in that was monsters on the overworld map.

Also reminds me that Final Fantasy Legend aka Romancing Saga games and Final Fantasy Adventure was actually a Secret of Mana game that exist on GBA (I played them on SNES with that Super Gameboy widget so that I could actually see it on a TV screen.) It's funny because the Super Gameboy is kind of the Switch of its era. Thinking about it like that, the Switch is hardly a novel concept.

That Kingsglaive movie was so bland that it was somehow the worst FF movie. Spirits Within is really dumb, but it has a story it's trying to tell. Basically you can't use violence to exorcise ghosts. Advent Children is just blatant fan service for FFVII, but it does it's job in that regard. Kingsglaive doesn't even succeed as an advertisement/prequel for FFXV.

Of course, I know that FFXV doesn't appeal to me at all because I don't really like action/adventure RPGs of that sort. The whole appeal of FF was strategy/turn-based battles and they screwed that up in FFXII and made a shitty paradym system in FFXIII and -02.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:29 pm

I blame Advent Children on this. Any change they made to the combat system since has been justified by them wanting to have the battles look like Advent Children. Because reasons.
Seele wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 am
Speaking of easy, this whole cakewalk of a tech demo for a game was the easiest Final Fantasy ever since it was designed for normies/casuals to gravitate towards. It's the Square Enix equivalent to a Bethesda game in its sandbox approach and numerous glitches. I'd go as far as to say it was easier than Mystic Quest, and that was made purposefully easy for the sake of appealing to Western noobs. This shit, however, was barely much of a challenge at all, and Square seemed serious about committing to casual tards through this laughable sentence when starting the game:

*First-Timers*

They can go fuck themselves.
I'm not sure if this is limited to Squeenix. Seems to be that other developers are dumping shit down.

Warriors games aren't exactly the pinnacle of sophistication, but this Berserk Warriors in plain ridiculous. The first thing this game doesn is ask you want to play on "Easy", but that doesn't matter because even on the second-to-highest difficulty setting, every enemy will deal so little damage that your eyes don't even register that your health bar just dropped.
Every enemy. Even a named boss character with the Lu Bu rape aura of doom. These guys usually blow huge chunks out of your health bar in Dynasty Warriors.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:46 pm

FFXV has Nissin Cup Noodles. I love Cup Noodles. I'll just have some Cup Noodles instead of playing the game. Sounds like it's the best part of the FFXV experience anyway.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Cant wait for the new version of FF12... only a week away.
Really like that they will allow 2 jobs per character instead of 1... should make for interesting combinations. (Bunch of retards however complaining about this on comments... fuck them)

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Isn't this just a HD version of that Japan-exclusive PS2 re-release? The one where the "jobs" are just additional License Boards? Which also break the game balance in half because combat-heavy boards lets you stack on more ATK and HP than the game originally intended?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:27 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:55 pm
Isn't this just a HD version of that Japan-exclusive PS2 re-release? The one where the "jobs" are just additional License Boards? Which also break the game balance in half because combat-heavy boards lets you stack on more ATK and HP than the game originally intended?
Kinda but not really, its an update to that games version, but has changes over it too.
Example, instead of being limited to 1 job you can now have 2 per character. Theres also x4 speed available, and new ng+ mode with variations.
In the original version its just 1 big license board, in the zodiac system each job has its own smaller board with skills that sometimes overlaps with others, each job does its thing pretty good and you can unlock special intersections with other jobs learning some quickenings and summons.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 pm

But it's still license board stuff, right? I hated that shit. Fucking Dragon Quest VIII had a more sophisticated equip specialization system.
-Yours Truly

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 pm
But it's still license board stuff, right? I hated that shit. Fucking Dragon Quest VIII had a more sophisticated equip specialization system.
Yes, still uses the license board, but now they are particular to the job/s you pick and there are more options to expand them (using summons and quickenings to link more nodes to the grid)
I kinda like it since all those options are permanent and it does give the game plenty of replayability.

Mynameisnotimportant

Post by Mynameisnotimportant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:38 am

Fuck License Grids, Sphere Grids, Crysarium Crystal Grids, and all of this linear customization (for the most part which got really bad in XIII especially). Leveling up shouldn't be its own little minigame. You choose a perk/special ability, maybe gain some skills, and all those stats just go up otherwise in the game system background then go back to playing the game. Have optional level up methods like materia or espers that can gain you additional magic or skills beyond leveling up (or for that matter skill books like in Fallout) if you want extra character development possibilities.

That said, its cool that Squeenix is releasing FFXII in HD for fans of the game. And also cool that they changed the customization aspect of it so fans of the game have a slightly different experience.