Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:06 pm

I could tolerate the Sphere Grid, though then again I never did much fancy with it. The License Board on the other hand can go to hell. Lots of padding, all special abilities that aren't spells are usually some weird, esoteric bullshit techniques, and more than half of the squares don't actually make you feel like you're getting stronger. They just give you the honor of using shit that's sitting in your inventory.

I miss FFV.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:01 pm

what was the last good (or even decent) FF game according to you guys?

Im going to have to go with X for decent even though the story was retarded and most characters annoying the classic turnbased combat upgraded with switching in and out chars made it fun enough for me.

Still need to play IX so that might be the last great one but im not sure.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm

I'd also go with X. The combat system definitely makes up for its shortcomings. Also Auron is the last "cool" FF character in my book. Things only went downhill in terms of party composition after X.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Can I vote kingdom hearts? The combat is actually fun in that game.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:01 pm
what was the last good (or even decent) FF game according to you guys?

Im going to have to go with X for decent even though the story was retarded and most characters annoying the classic turnbased combat upgraded with switching in and out chars made it fun enough for me.

Still need to play IX so that might be the last great one but im not sure.
FFIX maybe, I dunno. Tactics Advance was about halfway shitty and halfway ok. The laws were retarded though. Dissidia 012 whatever was ok if you like that kind of thing. Not amazing.

War of the Lions (aka FF Tactics) doesn't count because it was just a shitty port of FFT with more loading times and worse dialogue.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:33 pm

I wonder if you get shorter loading times by just emulating the original on the PSP.

And Dissidia is weird. It's fun I guess, but the story is just bad fanfiction, the balance is a bit iffy (guys like Golbez can just chain a lot of his Brave moves into HP ones, which kinda negates any disadvantage the otherwise slow and obvious HP attacks have. Speaking of Golbez, his Brave moves are also both melee and ranged at the same time, making hit confirms even easier) and I'm not really a big fan of this pursuit mechanic because you just know the AI will input read the shit out of this mini-game.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 am

Dissidia feels spammy, overall. You just sort of spam all your shit and fly around like an anime, and whoever spams best wins. A lot of the spam chains are pretty hard to punish because they involve teleporting and movement that's hard for the camera to track.

I can't complain though, because it's not trying to be anything other than FF Smash Brothers.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:38 am

But Smash has an actual fighting game camera of sorts. Dissidia is just an animu fighter, aka not ones like BlazBlue but shit like Naruto Utilmate Whatever Storm that have a behind-the-shoulder camera and don't even try to be competitive.
-Yours Truly

Mynameisnotimportant

Post by Mynameisnotimportant » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Final Fantasy X was the last good one. Combat system was awesome, kind of like Dragon Warriors/Quests with the caravan where you could switch characters in and out. Blitzball is one of the best minigames ever. My friends and I would just play that in our twenties and Tekken Tag while having drinking party nights. The arena was also amazing towards the end as you got to immerse yourself in the combat system with some real challenges. The story was terrible but the graphics and music were really good and Spira is actually fairly varied as a world with a ton of different environments to explore. Character-wise Auron is awesome and badass. Yuna is actually a good character as a person who struggles with her role, born to sacrifice herself to save Spira for a mere few more years time, but she makes shitty decisions along the journey. Kimahri has a great sense of honor in trying to protect her while being bullied for being small for his race. The rest of the cast is ugh. Lulu= Fanservice. Rikku = Jailbait. Wakka = Moron. Tidus = Whinny Bitch. Like the game could've been Auron + Kimahri as guardians + Yuna as the summoner and just be a better game.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:38 am
But Smash has an actual fighting game camera of sorts. Dissidia is just an animu fighter, aka not ones like BlazBlue but shit like Naruto Utilmate Whatever Storm that have a behind-the-shoulder camera and don't even try to be competitive.
Yeah, Naruto: Narutimate Sakustorm 2 Revolution 4Ultimate Rebirth.

I'd put those games under "absolute garbage that I enjoy for reasons known only to the lizard part of my brain." I played a lot of Storm 2 years ago. They're very simple games with basic controls and no strategy, but they're flashy and look very nice. It feels like playing an animu.
RAPEMAN wrote: