Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Politically Correct Fantasy 15 (Final Fantasy Thread)

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:14 pm

veris leta facies wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:01 pm
FF7 is far from the greatest game evar but it's still in the top 3 of the JRPGs of the 90's along with FF6 and Chrono Trigger. Its soundtrack is the magnum opus of Uematsu, baffles me how that same guy composed those vapid ost's of FF8 and FF10. FF9's music was a step to the right direction but still far away from the glory of 6 and 7. Only flaw in FF7 is the first 1/4 of the game which is extremely linear and can be boring at times, especially on replays, but after the Nibelheim flashback scene it's indulgence all the way to the end.
FF10 OST rocks for no other reason than The Otherworld. That's almost SMT-worthy as a boss theme.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Mynameisnotimportant

Post by Mynameisnotimportant » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Final Fantasy VII had a certain charm with its graphics at the time in 1997 when I first played it. As a bridge between 2d and 3d RPG gaming it has some very strange polygons. I managed to replay it a couple of times. It wasn't as good as ten times for FFIV or FFVI or Chrono Trigger for replays (what can I say being poor sucked as a kid so a new game was three months away at least + the slow load time PS replays of the same games as being one of them. Replaying games became less and less frequent with more and more games to play and less time to play let alone replay as I've aged). FFIV and FFVI still look good these days though to me even if the 2d sprites are super outdated now. FFVII's music is still amazing though. I actually really enjoyed the rails of the beginning of the game in Midgard in my first play and was disappointed that the whole world wasn't so gritty in tone as events in Midgard made it seem like it would be. Still once you heard the entire magnificent overworld theme you didn't really want to go back to Midgard.

It's odd how bad FFVIII and FFX's osts are. I really hate FFVIII's music. What can I even remember? Liberi Fatali, Eyes on Me about it. But I do like some of FFX's music like the prologue, Jecht's random metal theme, and Auron's Theme of course. Unfortunately the town music and that terrible temple music that you hear alot in story/doing puzzles in the temples are the worst. It's sad but I think FFX-2 has the better/more memorable music than FFX with 1000 words (the piano version is really good), real emotion, eternity: memory of lightwaves, let me blow you a kiss, farplane abyss, etc.

Personally, I am waiting patiently for the remastered version(s) of FFVII on PS4. My stepdaughter loves the FFVII Advent Children movie, so if the graphics are like that she will enjoy playing through the game or watching me play through it (more likely since she has little RPG experience as I said Naruto Storm is her game these days with a previously Halo streak), whereas the old FFVII wouldn't even get a look after seeing how bad the blocks and graphics are. So I get to relive a good game that will look a ton better and she'll get to experience the events that lead up to one of her favorite movies for the first time.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Mynameisnotimportant wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:40 pm
FFIV and FFVI still look good these days though to me even if the 2d sprites are super outdated now.
Depends. IV is a super early SNES title that almost looks like a late NES title, V was a little bit better, and VI is one of the best-looking RPGs on the system.
It's sad but I think FFX-2 has the better/more memorable music than FFX with 1000 words (the piano version is really good), real emotion, eternity: memory of lightwaves, let me blow you a kiss, farplane abyss, etc.
There are two reasons why I can't hate X-2 as much as I probably should: One is that even a bastardized version of FFV's job system is better than all these grid/board/crystal-things Square is obsessed with (aka "Let's do something like that Sphere Grid form X, but we can't just use that because we have to re-invent the wheel every single time"), the other are those stupid pop songs I can't get out of my head.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:07 pm

FFIX had pretty great battle music. I remember listening to the soundtrack and enjoying it by itself. That's usually a sign of a decent FF soundtrack.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39 pm

CIANigger wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:55 pm
FF9 boiled down to Kuja wanting to be special and unique and aquiring power.

Garland wanted to funnel the souls out of Gaia into Terra so Terra could survive cause it was dying for reasons I can't remember.

Kuja goes off script, finds out he's not immortal, and just resolves to kill everyone. Necron, the final boss appears because Kuja almost succeeds and the heroes fight him back and save existence.

Pretty standard fair for a JRPG that's a homage to its classic days.
There's always been that certain level of silliness in FF games (and in JRPGs generally) and I'm fine with it, FF9 just went overboard. Althought I liked the more mature and darker themes of FF6 and FF7, I didn't mind FF9 taking again that more childish approach, they just could have added some hint of originality there. There was a real personality in both Kefka and Sephiroth. Kuja just felt like some generic JRPG super villain.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:14 pm
FF10 OST rocks for no other reason than The Otherworld. That's almost SMT-worthy as a boss theme.
Oh no njet nej nein iie noup nee. If I want to listen rock/metal, I'll listen the real thing, not some JRPG's ost. One of my friends said once incisively: If there's a hell, it's a place where J-rock plays 24/7.
It's odd how bad FFVIII and FFX's osts are. I really hate FFVIII's music.
I think the problem with these are a number of major key happyhappy tracks in them. The more somber ost of FF7 sets the mood better, for me at least. FF7's overworld theme is really a fantastic piece. That along with Aerith's theme and final boss fight reach the level of epicness Uematsu hasn't attained before or since.
rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:07 pm
FFIX had pretty great battle music. I remember listening to the soundtrack and enjoying it by itself. That's usually a sign of a decent FF soundtrack.
How can any battle theme go wrong with that bass intro.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:10 am

RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm

veris leta facies wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39 pm
Oh no njet nej nein iie noup nee. If I want to listen rock/metal, I'll listen the real thing, not some JRPG's ost. One of my friends said once incisively: If there's a hell, it's a place where J-rock plays 24/7.
So the world where Guilty Gear is set?
-Yours Truly

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:22 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm
veris leta facies wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39 pm
So the world where Guilty Gear is set?
I try to avoid that kind of dodgy junk. I'm a Tekken guy anyway.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:42 am

I dunno. Tekken 7 is triggering the shit out of me with that white noise disguised as a soundtrack.
-Yours Truly

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:13 am

There's been Tekkens released beyond T3? I don't know about that, I'll stick with the best.