going through the motions gameplay

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: going through the motions gameplay

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 pm
Kinda interesting how 2D fighters are kinda big-ish again, while Tekken is pretty much the only 3D fighter still alive.
And it seems like the game's player base is dropping off because of noob-unfriendliness. Or so I'm hearing from the tekken vets. I only play ghost mode psp tekken 6 so I wouldn't know how the online in T7 is, but the amount of legacy knowledge you need to even understand why someone is beating you has to be a barrier to entry.

Rage arts and rage drive were clearly an attempt to bring in new players, along with the guest characters. But it's still Tekken. Selling Tekken to the masses is like selling Virtua Fighter.

BTW Virtua Fighter 5 is still one of the best fighting games ever made. But people don't play it because it's VF. :lol:

Once Bandai-Namco get out of the fighting game business, there won't be another 3d fighter of note left. They have Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Hell, one of the big reasons DoA5 got the players it did was because of virtua fighter guest characters. :lol: How sad is it when you have to attract new players using a franchise that is itself super niche? But picking 2 VF characters in DoA5 and fighting still doesn't feel as good as playing VF5. Doubly so because I CAN'T PLAY FUCKING BRAD.

Brad mains 4 life.

Tekken is a great game and I'm now better at Tekken than I ever was at VF, but VF feels at least as good.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Oh, and look at Virtua Fighter 5 and tell me it looks like a 360 launch title. Seeing El Blaze in glorious 720p was an amazing moment, growing up. That was the time I went "THIS IS NEXT GENNNNN."
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm

I had some fun with VF4E on the PS2. Still hoping VF5 will come out for something I actually own :lol:
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm
And it seems like the game's player base is dropping off because of noob-unfriendliness. Or so I'm hearing from the tekken vets. I only play ghost mode psp tekken 6 so I wouldn't know how the online in T7 is, but the amount of legacy knowledge you need to even understand why someone is beating you has to be a barrier to entry.
T7 certainly is something. They really fucked up when it comes to any kind of tutorial. Recent 2D fighters do a much better job, when they used to explain jack shit aside from listing moves.
Making Story Mode the main feature makes it even harder for n00bs because basically everyone you fight there has some super armor counter or other cheese move you never see anywhere else.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 am

Virtua Fighter 5 won't ever come out on anything else. Except MAYBE Steam, someday.

The game is so fucking unknown now. You never hear it spoken of. If DoA5 is niche, Virtua Fighter 5 is a ghost. I think the serious 3d fighting game fans moved on to Tekken after sega killed VF. Or maybe they switched to DoA, although I consider that a pretty big downgrade. The buttons are similar, but not the depth.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:15 am

DoA wasn't ever really that big to begin with. VF was just downright dropped by SEGA for no good reason. People just don't stick with 3D fighters when they are shit. Unlike Street Fighter which can be nothing but total shit for decades, people get a shitty Soul Calibur and drop that shit immediately.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 am

Sega loves to kill franchises that are beloved and do really decently considering their niche status. Virtua Fighter 4 Evo was a pretty huge hit on PS2. I had never played any of the others, but I remember always hearing about this game and how great it was. Then I played it and it was great. Tekken 5 was the same way.

And Virtua Fighter 5? When the 360 was new, all I ever fucking saw at game shops were consoles running VF5. That game was everywhere. Partly because it was a tech demo for the console, but also because it was great.

I heard very little buzz about Tekken 6 and TTT2. TTT2 was niche even by tekken fan standards. A lot of normal tekken fans dipped out when TTT2 came along. I think those people came back for T7, but now new players are finding T7 a difficult entry to start at.

Dead or Alive died as a franchise during the DoA 4 years. I did hear about DoA during DoA5, but it wasn't anything like the crazy hype train of DoA 3 and DoA 2 on original xbox. Team Ninja were big dogs on the original xbox back in the day. They were arguably at the pinnacle of console gaming visuals for that entire generation, at least until RE4 hit. And you could legitimately debate RE4 vs DoA 3 vs Ninja Gaiden Black visuals.

Sega has killed tons of their franchises. I'm shocked Yakuza is still around. Shenmue, Outrun, Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 and I'm sure there are more. Virtua Fighter fans are either playing Tekken now, playing Yakuza or crying into their Vanessa waifu pillows.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 am
Sega loves to kill franchises that are beloved and do really decently considering their niche status. Virtua Fighter 4 Evo was a pretty huge hit on PS2. I had never played any of the others, but I remember always hearing about this game and how great it was. Then I played it and it was great. Tekken 5 was the same way.

And Virtua Fighter 5? When the 360 was new, all I ever fucking saw at game shops were consoles running VF5. That game was everywhere. Partly because it was a tech demo for the console, but also because it was great.

I heard very little buzz about Tekken 6 and TTT2. TTT2 was niche even by tekken fan standards. A lot of normal tekken fans dipped out when TTT2 came along. I think those people came back for T7, but now new players are finding T7 a difficult entry to start at.

Dead or Alive died as a franchise during the DoA 4 years. I did hear about DoA during DoA5, but it wasn't anything like the crazy hype train of DoA 3 and DoA 2 on original xbox. Team Ninja were big dogs on the original xbox back in the day. They were arguably at the pinnacle of console gaming visuals for that entire generation, at least until RE4 hit. And you could legitimately debate RE4 vs DoA 3 vs Ninja Gaiden Black visuals.

Sega has killed tons of their franchises. I'm shocked Yakuza is still around. Shenmue, Outrun, Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 and I'm sure there are more. Virtua Fighter fans are either playing Tekken now, playing Yakuza or crying into their Vanessa waifu pillows.
I'm shocked Yakuza Kiwani 1 and 2 plus Yakuza 6 are a thing. Unfortunatelycompanies kill decent/good franchises way too often
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:47 am

Sega makes their money on arcade machines and gachapon and other gay shit nips are into. Bibbio gams are secondary.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 am

Just like Konami with their pachinko.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:31 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 pm
Kinda interesting how 2D fighters are kinda big-ish again, while Tekken is pretty much the only 3D fighter still alive.

Rage arts and rage drive were clearly an attempt to bring in new players, along with the guest characters. But it's still Tekken. Selling Tekken to the masses is like selling Virtua Fighter.
The problem is juggles. When a new player comes in and gets juggled like crazy that is really going to piss them off. Once someone gets an opening you can get a damn coffee before the combo is over and there is nothing you can do. Once you get into it and get a better defence you won't get juggled like that all the time but getting into the game is a pain mainly because of that since you truly feel helpless.

They need to take a page out of Killer Instinct's book and have "Juggle Breakers" where you can get out of it by countering by guessing/reading whether they are hitting a Low, Mid or High. That way noobies feel like they have a damn chance and it adds a new meta game to juggles so players don't automatically go for the same damn combo since it does the most damage. That's another factor that can shit you, once they hit a juggle it's the same combo you saw before which can make you feel more stupid.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.