Pwning the anti-microtransation wave riders.

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Stranger

Re: Pwning the anti-microtransation wave riders.

Post by Stranger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 am

Honestly, between pay2win and subscriptions I prefer the latter under condition that there are no further cash shop styled items that directly affect gameplay.

I have zero issues with video games selling me cosmetics that don't affect gameplay in any way even if the game is full priced. It could be a scummy business strategy to sell costumes to me, sure, but it doesn't change the gameplay so I don't care.

EX: Fighting games selling alt costumes for real money. This is scummy but fine. Doesn't change anything about how it plays.
EX: Vindictus (please die already) selling 32 dollar costumes that affect your stats. This is scummy and not okay. Stop it.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 am

I realize there's always some fag who touts a thing as "the death of gaming," but TBH this practice could actually kill video games really hard. Or at least mainstream ones. It'll reduce every game to a subscription service or pay2win a la WoW and freemium mobile games.
It isn't hyperbolic at all to suggest that it could kill video games because we already saw what pay to win garbage did to mobile gaming. Back when you used to pay $1 for a game on the app store I used to fucking pay for mobile games. When I counted last I had around 80 of them, they were fun, simple games that were honest and had devs that supported extra content well beyond release for free. Then Free to Play happened and now mobile gaming is complete dogshit, nothing but cow clicker trash and shit like Candy Crush that is intentionally designed to have difficulty spikes every few levels to get you to pay up. And Extra Credits defended that piece of shit.

That is why people are getting emotional about this and calling for it to be regulated, they know that it will become like fucking mobile gaming and games with decent game design will become extremely rare since it will be more profitable to make games broken. Either the game is a shitty fucking grind, or you pay for god mode.
Stranger wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:14 am
Those whales are still consumers. They're included in, "consumers do something."
But why should they care? They are idiots with too much money, they are more than happy to pay hundreds of dollars to feel like king shit in an online game. It doesn't take many of them to fuck up everything, and they won't give a fuck that their actions are potentially destroying good games. THEY are having fun, in their eyes you should stop being a peasant and pay up to get to their level, because fuck skill and practice.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 am

Stranger wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 am
Honestly, between pay2win and subscriptions I prefer the latter under condition that there are no further cash shop styled items that directly affect gameplay.

EX: Fighting games selling alt costumes for real money. This is scummy but fine. Doesn't change anything about how it plays.
EX: Vindictus (please die already) selling 32 dollar costumes that affect your stats. This is scummy and not okay. Stop it.
They won't be though. I'm imagining new AAA games as basically a tiered system of subscription service.

Imagine:

You pay $60 and get the "base level" of the game. This means you can play 50-70% of the game without grinding to an absurd degree, and you have access to almost no extras of the sort that used to be common in vidya, like secret weapons, hidden rooms or optional bosses.

The next level might be based on lootboxes, or it might be a subscription service, or something else. But basically another $60+ you have to spend in order to beat the game in an enjoyable fashion aka without grinding. This is sort of already happening with Asscrud Origins and Shadow of Mordor. You spend this extra fee and you get some extras, maybe costumes, maybe weapons or guns, and you can beat the game without wasting your time to grind for seven hours.

Then there might be some premium service, because we haven't even looked at DLC yet! So imagine another $30 to bundle all the DLC in a season pass. Who knows if the DLC would cater to microtransactions as well btw, so we could add more to the price tag if applicable.

This doesn't count extra colors, extra skins, extra weapons that aren't part of loot boxes or any other bonus content that could be sold separately.

Games already cost a shitload, especially in Australia. Imagine AAA games costing 2-3x what they do now. What's that going to do to worldwide sales of games? And if the addicts fund the microtransactions, the companies might make enough money for a long enough period to justify the decision. Because it's not hitting you with that entire price up front. The argument they're making is "you can buy the game for the normal price." And then they hide that a lot of the on-disc content is essentially behind a paywall that uses RNG.

We could end up in a situation where mainstream vidya becomes like phone app games, except with a higher price point since bigger budgets are involved.

I don't think it's hyperbolic to envision this happening when it has already happened, as Poonoo said, with mobile games. To some extent, Steam has been fucked by this mentality as well. Those dogshit shovelware games and asset flips don't need to make tons of money, they just need to make ENOUGH from the small group of addicts to justify the expense of making the games.

A scary precedent is being set where addicts and the pimps who cater to them could decide the future of video games.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Poonoo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 am
Stranger wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:14 am
Those whales are still consumers. They're included in, "consumers do something."
But why should they care? They are idiots with too much money, they are more than happy to pay hundreds of dollars to feel like king shit in an online game. It doesn't take many of them to fuck up everything, and they won't give a fuck that their actions are potentially destroying good games. THEY are having fun, in their eyes you should stop being a peasant and pay up to get to their level, because fuck skill and practice.
That's exactly who these systems are designed to prey upon, though. The systems work and that's why companies keep using them.

Until those people start to realize what they're doing to the gaming industry by supporting these types of microtransactions they'll never change. Money talks a lot louder than some nerds in a youtube comment section.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 am
A scary precedent is being set where addicts and the pimps who cater to them could decide the future of video games.
Awful funny that this precedent is being set when I was assured that supporting indie developers would be the way to a future without this sort of thing-- followed promptly by nobody supporting those indie developers because their games were dog shit.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:27 pm

For every honest indie developer, you get at least a dozen who didn't make it into an actual developer studio for a reason.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Stranger wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 am
Awful funny that this precedent is being set when I was assured that supporting indie developers would be the way to a future without this sort of thing-- followed promptly by nobody supporting those indie developers because their games were dog shit.
Not to mention the absurd degree of nepotism and clique scamming going on in that scene. Terrible people making shitty games supporting each other to scam people. Fuck "indie" trash.
It's super rare to get a Broforce and even then it's buried below dozens and dozens of broken, never-to-be-finished "games".
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:35 pm

sigarettes are legal but nooooooooooooo we need to stop gaming devs from exploiting the retarded 0,00000001% of the population with extreme addiction problems?

Any idea how retarded you sound?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Stranger wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:02 am
It's tapping into the same feedback loop as gambling and they're making most of their money off of addicts. I think that's a problem even if it's not technically gambling.
This is the crux of the issue. "Pwning," people by playing the semantics game or trying to be, "technically," correct (the best kind of correct), is completely missing the point.

Maybe people aren't voicing their displeasure the greatest way, by directly saying that it's actual gambling, but the idea of the argument is what matters, here-- Loot Boxes, and their ilk, are pretty shady and they won't go away until the consumers do something. It's only becoming such a big issue, now, because more and more AAA, heavily pushed titles are starting to do it with higher frequency than ever before.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I have nothing against games like Warframe and their microtransactions. You get what you pay for, there, unless you buy one of three mod packs and said mod packs are frequently available in the game for in-game currency, anyway, so nobody buys those. Also I have a problem with them existing.

If you exchange money and are guaranteed to get what you exchanged money for then it's fair game. If your prices are bad then you don't make sales. That's how capitalism works.
If you're putting random rewards out there for money then I have an issue. I pay you 5 bucks then I expect a concrete item worth 5 bucks (relatively speaking, of course).
Wow you really talk so much bullshit. NOTHING you buy is worth the amount of dollars you paid for it. Most shit instantly halves when it changes hands XD
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:09 pm

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:35 pm
sigarettes are legal but nooooooooooooo we need to stop gaming devs from exploiting the retarded 0,00000001% of the population with extreme addiction problems?

Any idea how retarded you sound?
Because it has the potential to destroy mainstream gaming harder than anything else. We've had a number of big releases already which are essentially unplayable thanks to microtransactions.

It's not fair to compare an addictive substance people know is bad for you (they even have age limits and warnings on the package) with a video game. Microtransactions and p2win can and do appear in gaming products marked for all ages.

A more fair comparison would be to compare microtransactions to tobacco use back when the tobacco companies were allowed to lie and say there were no health risks and cigs would improve your health. Also, we'd have to compare p2win with a period of history where cigs had no age limits.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome