The Game Awards 2017

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: The Game Awards 2017

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 am

The real problem with hiring Kiefer is Kojima wasn't willing to pay for his voice work, so Snake HARDLY EVEN SPEAKS in MGSV. This is terrible btw, because Snake is the most important person in the room at all times (he's a legendary soldier and THE BOSS OF THE FUCKING MERCENARY UNIT), as well as being a well-developed character who spoke a lot in previous games. To make him almost a mute is an insult.

Kiefer's acting is totally acceptable. What's not acceptable is Kojima's decision to remove 99% of what would have been his voiced lines and to give those lines to Ocelot or Miller, presumably because they COST LESS than Kiefer.

I'm still playing MGSV and I do enjoy the gameplay, but the story has serious problems and it comes down to Kojima's rockstar mentality. I'm not sure Hayter would have been a good fit for Venom Snake, but Kojima clearly shouldn't have paid out all this cash for Kiefer and licensed music if he wasn't willing to give Kiefer any fucking lines. It's also an insult not to give the Ishmael role (a much smaller one btw) to Hayter.

Then there's the loads of cut content, which probably could have made it into the game if they'd prioritized their funding better. Those licensed songs are cool, but I'd rather see what that money could have added in terms of playable content to the game. MGSV resembles nothing so much as an unfinished project, victim to Kojima's hubris. Ground Zeroes should never have been cut off and sold as a standalone "game." It should always have been the prologue section to MGSV.

Quiet should have been cut entirely. Kojima should have hired that actress as a hooker and got it out of his system. She only has 1 variation in her humming voice lines and it WILL drive you insane if you regularly take her as an ally. Every buddy serves an important purpose, but all Quiet does is break the game when you're in an area with human enemies. She even gets a tranq gun to remove her only downside. D-Dog is far more interesting and he doesn't go on autopilot to take out every enemy within five miles.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 am

Venom Snake having few lines was a deliberate design choice though according to Kojima. He's supposed to be the player's self-insert (even moreso than previous incarnations of Snake) and they wanted players to be able to project their personality into the character. It's why Kiefer has more lines as Ishmael/The Real Big Boss (especially when you take into account all the audio logs you unlock for completing the final story mission, where he's pretty talkative). It was never about making Venom Snake a distinct character from Big Boss.

I didn't really mind Quiet that much, but I hated how they wasted Chico's character. All that built-up with him in PW and GZ and he's quickly written off during an exposition dump. I would've personally traded Chico for Quiet, but I'm guessing Kojima thought that waifubaiting took priority over an established character.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 am

Guest wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 pm
So is it confirmed now that Kojima is a hack-fraud like Inafune? Capcom and Konami dindu nuffin?
Kokima has been a hack since MGS2, the raiden naked shit with aliens and scissors should of been a big indication of that. I think people are finally starting to realize that maybe he isn't the genius that everyone thinks he is.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 am

mad bum wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 am
I think people are finally starting to realize that maybe he isn't the genius that everyone thinks he is.
I thought that became a thing when people were flabbergasted at how stupid the plot for MGS4 was?

EDIT: Stupid might not be the correct word. People were mad about it, though. I remember it clearly.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:35 am

mad bum wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 am
Kokima has been a hack since MGS2, the raiden naked shit with aliens and scissors should of been a big indication of that.
I thought that part was kinda trippy. It was supposed to be confusing at any rate, since that's when the S3 Plan starts to unveil itself and the A.I. Colonel becomes all glitched out due to a computer virus.
Stranger wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 am
I thought that became a thing when people were flabbergasted at how stupid the plot for MGS4 was?
EDIT: Stupid might not be the correct word. People were mad about it, though. I remember it clearly.
For me, the biggest sticking points in MGS4 was how Big Boss's funny support crew were suddenly revealed to be behind the big Illuminati conspiracy that led to the events of MGS2. Some argue that MGS3 was a deliberate prequel meant to explain 2 and set up 4, but they did a poor job at foreshadowing MGS4 as far I'm concerned. MGS3 was better off as a stand-alone story and the way they tried to tie everything together just comes off as bad fanfiction (did Eva really had to be Snake's mother?).

Kojima losing his main co-writer (Tomokazu Fukushima) might explain the drastic quality drop in MGS4 when it comes to the story, even though Fukushima supposedly only wrote codec dialogue.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:57 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 am
Venom Snake having few lines was a deliberate design choice though according to Kojima. He's supposed to be the player's self-insert (even moreso than previous incarnations of Snake) and they wanted players to be able to project their personality into the character. It's why Kiefer has more lines as Ishmael/The Real Big Boss (especially when you take into account all the audio logs you unlock for completing the final story mission, where he's pretty talkative). It was never about making Venom Snake a distinct character from Big Boss.

I didn't really mind Quiet that much, but I hated how they wasted Chico's character. All that built-up with him in PW and GZ and he's quickly written off during an exposition dump. I would've personally traded Chico for Quiet, but I'm guessing Kojima thought that waifubaiting took priority over an established character.
How convenient that this MGS story just happened to involve Kiefer speaking as little as possible.

Kojima can rationalize it however he wants. The point is that Venom Snake THINKS HE IS BIG BOSS and has Big Boss' memories and experience, in addition to a lifetime as a combat medic. He is one of the most experienced soldiers in the room in EVERY conversation and yet says almost nothing, ever, even when it's obvious from the context of events and his facial expressions that he does have an opinion. The handling of Quiet is a great example of situations where we know Venom has a clear-cut opinion, but he isn't willing to give VOICE to it because they didn't want to pay Kiefer. So instead we get Ocelot very obviously speaking Venom's opinion. Presumably because they didn't want to pay Kiefer. The end result is we constantly see BIG BOSS being dictated to by Miller, Ocelot and countless other fags who aren't nearly as skilled as Big Boss/Venom Snake.

Besides which, I never felt I wasn't playing as Big Boss when he spoke in Peace Walker and Snake Eater. Hayter wasn't the best VA in the world, but he had a distinctive voice that worked for the pulp feel of Big Boss and his insight was appreciated.

Chico and that girl from Peace Walker were both wasted. Miller was arguably wasted too by how little he matters in every game after MGSV. He's super important to MGSV, but barely appears afterwards except as a footnote to MGS1.

Forget making Venom a distinct character from Big Boss. That's all fine. My problem is Venom is a silent protagonist, but Big Boss was NOT. If Venom thinks he's Boss, he should react as Boss would, and not as a deaf-mute jrpg protagonist.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 am
I'd rather believe they cut his lines so they could use Kiefer as a marketing gimmick in the cheapest way possible. You don't just hire a Hollywood actor for a character who was planned from the start to barely speak, you make the guy barely speak so you can afford the actor.

"OMG they have a real Hollywood actr! This will be just like a movie!."
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:32 pm

The decision to make Snake speak very little kinda makes sense when you consider how most of the game's missions are constructed. They're very different from previous MGS games, in in the sense that they're mostly open-ended and you can more often than not choose whether to extract a target or assassinate him. Giving Snake too much dialogue would've probably limited what kind of choices the player can make. Not to mention the game allows you to use generic male and female soldiers in addition to Snake and KojiPro probably didn't want to spent the extra effort recording dialogue for peons. For me, it really only comes off as retarded during the Jeep ride with Skull-Face, where you would kinda expect Snake to be a little bit more reactive to Skull-Face's master plan, but Snake just kinda sits there without mentioning anything. If it was a matter of who your player character happens to be, they should just made Snake mandatory for some of the major story missions (especially considering the cutscenes just swaps the character model anyway).

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Are you people really complaining that a modern era game let's you have a half-naked white slut as your companion?

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:45 pm
Are you people really complaining that a modern era game let's you have a half-naked white slut as your companion?
Yes, that's the only problem I have with MGSV.
RAPEMAN wrote: