Are you allowed to give your steam account away?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AngrySpoonySnob

Are you allowed to give your steam account away?

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Lets say in 10-15 years time Im done with gaming or perhaps uber casual.
I was thinking about that because around that time my sis's kid will be old enough to enjoy gaming if thats still a thing in 15 years :P

I figured I might as well just give him my steam login + password then so he gets like 200 games.

Is this allowed or will steam block the account?
note: I wouldnt be loging into the account myself anymore.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Are you allowed to give your steam account away?

Post by mad bum » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 pm

Steam has a family share thing you can do also, but the steam police are not going to be knocking at your door no, you'll need to change the email address on the account also though.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 pm

You're assuming that Steam will be around 15 years from now. You're also assuming you actually own any of those games and haven't just purchased a license that can be revoked or changed at any moment.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Just imagine the salt when that happens.
mad bum wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 pm
Steam has a family share thing you can do also, but the steam police are not going to be knocking at your door no, you'll need to change the email address on the account also though.
The only issue with family share is that you can't access the account at the same time as your relative, which the OP probably won't do anyways. Should work alright.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:00 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 pm
You're assuming that Steam will be around 15 years from now. You're also assuming you actually own any of those games and haven't just purchased a license that can be revoked or changed at any moment.
That's always a possibility, but it has yet to happen. I'll be interested to see which is the first big service to go this route. My guess is PSN or XBLA will be first to shut down. You'll probably be able to access your download list to redownload games, but won't be able to buy anything or play multiplayer.

Either way, buying any game off the strength of its multiplayer is a scam unless you sell within year 1. :lol: Once those servers go down, your game won't have any value at all. There have been a few examples of prominent multiplayer-only games where the servers were taken down. Copies of the discs/games downloaded onto systems are garbage now.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 pm
You're also assuming you actually own any of those games and haven't just purchased a license that can be revoked or changed at any moment.
Not at any moment. You can read that shit up in the agreement plus there are several nation's laws that prevent an immediate pull of the games even in the case of bankruptcy. You'd at least get to download all your shit for a certain time.

Anyway, yeah, you can totally give away your Steam account. Valve doesn't give a damn and it's not like they'd ever find out either.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

berty11

Post by berty11 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:48 am

They are very strict about it, they think you are a booster for games like Dota and they ban people right and left. Avoid doing it.
Dreaming in empty space with no hope.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:29 am

>necroing two year old topics
>necroing two year old topics started by ASS

Get the fuck out, faggot
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.