The Metal thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:06 am

You'd be correct in that assumption but I do like Hail of Bullets, from all the bands he's sung in, the best. I don't like him all that much in Bolt Thrower that much though when that was a thing for a while. But I've got a thing for Swampgermans in general. I find them adorable.

Heaven Shall Burn certainly isn't Death Metal, that's why I said "most of them" because Neaera and Maroon, especially Neaera, had songs that were totally Death Metal. Hell, Neaera had entire albums that were Metalcore* all the way and yet also albums that weren't even remotely what one would call Metalcore**.

Why not, with the distance of time we have on it, discuss Metalcore? It's a total clusterfuck that can mean whatever depending on who you ask. I find it quite interesting. Because, unlike NuMetal, it never really found it's identity and was in thiis constant fluctuation from Emo, Screamo, Metalcore, Hardcore, Deathcore, Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Glam Rock and all the shit in between but there was never a steady stream of one kinda music that established itself as the gold standard of what that genre is supposed to sound like.

*Let the Tempest Come
**Omnicide - Creation Unleashed
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:51 am

I'd also like to add that "Stay Brutal" became and still is a hail in the German metal world because of Maroon's song of the same name, despite it being Metalcore.

This came at the hight of Metalcore being considered a shit and yet it worked so well as a slogan and the song is actually awesome as fuck if you're not a faggot about it's classification.

And no, they didn't get any permissions to film in the public locations. They just set their shit up and played.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 am

Time for some cultural enrichment.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:34 pm

I despise metalcore. I consider it the cancer that was killing metal in the 00s and a big reason why Pantera's influence was a bad thing.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Is there a single Japanese metal band that's actually really good?
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Sigh's first album Scorn Defeat is solid black metal. Though if you hate ambient/prog elements you probably won't like it.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 pm

I don't like Black Metal either so it's likely not for me.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:11 pm
Is there a single Japanese metal band that's actually really good?
It's baffling that it's so hard to find. There is so much good Japanese metal in soundtracks, the older Guilty Gear games had a killer soundtrack. They tend to like the neoclassical shit with Marty Friedman being a big deal over there, but for some reason outside of composers doing metal songs none of it is all that memorable. Holy Orders from Guilty Gear is more memorable than pretty much anything from a Japanese metal band.

Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 pm
Not even the hi-fi sounding ones like Dissection, Enslaved or (latter day) Immortal?
da PAC Nigguh wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Pope Corky III wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 pm
Not even the hi-fi sounding ones like Dissection, Enslaved or (latter day) Immortal?
I'm sure I'd find one I'd like if I was looking for one. I've heard BM songs I like but it's not a genre I'm getting a kick out of.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!