STD

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: STD

Post by Keith Chegwin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:47 am

The original Star Trek was SJW in the same way that the 1960s were SJW. There were probably some antecedents there but generally speaking what they screeched about then (equal treatment and a 'colour blind' society) was completely different to what they're screeching about now (special treatment and a society where being colour blind is not enough)
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Also that stuff was a lot more sensible than most of the shit they're reee-ing about nowadays. They have to invent an entire vocabulary just so they can feel oppressed.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm

LINCOLN: What a charming negress. Oh, forgive me, my dear. I know in my time some used that term as a description of property

UHURA: But why should I object to that term, sir? You see, in our century we've learned not to fear words.

ya, the message has changed just a smidgen from back then.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 am

OG star trek came out shortly after segregation had ended. I mean, not immediately after, but short enough that most people could remember it the way we remember 9/11. People went from an ingrained belief that the races should be separate (and probably another belief that nonwhites weren't as good as whites) to a show like Star Trek.

It was a bold and innovative show at the time. I would hardly call it "SJW" to imagine an egalitarian future where all people work together in a joint effort to further the knowledge of humanity via exploring the unknown. SJW shit is about elevating "underprivileged" classes above the "privileged" ones. Star Trek was about everyone working together as equals and the only system of ranking being that of merit. Kirk wasn't the captain because he was white-he was the captain because he was the most qualified to make decisions required of a captain.

It triggers me to hear SJWs today try to claim ownership over star trek OG. It obviously triggers Shatner too, or he wouldn't shitpost on twitter to troll SJWs so much. Original Star Trek is not in any way SJW.

TNG was a little bit shitlib, but not SJW imo. It's a fine distinction. The shitlib part of TNG was everyone being perfect all the time and no conflicts ever happening because "muh resource competition is gone now." That's a shitlib pipe dream which imagines we could remove resource conflict and thereby remove all conflict. Nice idea, but it will never happen. Life spreads out until resources can no longer support it. An infinite amount of resources = infinite amount of life = conflicts continue over whatever resources ARE limited, such as space.

DS9 isn't SJW in my opinion. It has the typical rainbow sjw cast, but it doesn't use them the way SJWs would. The show deals largely with conflicts generated by cultural clashes and competing interests, and Sisko himself is very quick to point out people can't always get along and The Federation isn't really a utopia.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 am

Did people even use this term "social justice" in the 60s? I don't think I'd ever heard it until Obama.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 am
Did people even use this term "social justice" in the 60s? I don't think I'd ever heard it until Obama.
Last edited by Charlar on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:11 am

Charlar wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 am
Liar Revealed wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 am
I just looked it up, the first use is typically attributed to catholic thinkers in the 1840's including Jesuit Luigi Taparelli in Civiltà Cattolica, based on the work of St. Thomas Aquina. It might go back to 1677 and Baruch Spinoza the concept of social justice who might have developed the idea from the notions of justice as said and written by Socrates, Plato and Aristocles.
This gives the impression the idea was coopted?
-All fanbases are shit

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:01 am

Consevapedia was a little more helpful, but not much. I think it was co-opted recently, but I couldn't find any solid dates anywhere.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 am

Ya social justice was taght in my Catholic upbringing k-12 in the 80s (please dont mock my age) but it was very, very different than this. It was more based around stuff like volnteering at soup kitchens and protesting abortion and the death penalty (consistent life ethic being the foundation of that) than anything like SJWs are about today.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 am

Guest wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 am
Ya social justice was taght in my Catholic upbringing k-12 in the 80s (please dont mock my age) but it was very, very different than this. It was more based around stuff like volnteering at soup kitchens and protesting abortion and the death penalty (consistent life ethic being the foundation of that) than anything like SJWs are about today.
I don't know for sure what it was about earlier than the 8o's but i read than the idea of the social contract was associated with or part of it
-All fanbases are shit