Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Post by mad bum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:22 am

Reminds me of this video

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 am

Mark Hamill is like the James Rolfe of Hollywood celebrities. You may disagree with him, but he's like the nicest guy ever.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

TheProgressive

Post by TheProgressive » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:26 pm

I never got the hype around Star Wars. Part of it was probably because the first films I saw were the prequels, which were embarrassing trash. On watching the originals, they were certainly a lot better but I somehow expected more fron a franchise that generates such a massive fanbase.

The Disney films so far have been what I expected really, shiny inoffensive flicks that don't push the envelope at all. I don't really get the anger over them and I really don't understand the people who have gone full retard and now put the prequels up on a pedestal to justify that position.

I consistently hear "at least the prequels were original/innovative". Like, did we watch the same shit? Just because the films didn't rip off other films in their own franchise, doesn't make them original. The prequels were a pile of bland stock characters in a cliche ridden story with some of the laziest direction and cinematography I've seen in a big budget production. People gloss over the visual aspects of film like they aren't important but in a visual medium they really sort of are.

I don't really have a desire to go to the next films but will probably see them anyway because I'm also not dead set against them or anything

Seele

Post by Seele » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:58 pm

TheProgressive wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:26 pm
I never got the hype around Star Wars. Part of it was probably because the first films I saw were the prequels, which were embarrassing trash. On watching the originals, they were certainly a lot better but I somehow expected more fron a franchise that generates such a massive fanbase.

The Disney films so far have been what I expected really, shiny inoffensive flicks that don't push the envelope at all. I don't really get the anger over them and I really don't understand the people who have gone full retard and now put the prequels up on a pedestal to justify that position.

I consistently hear "at least the prequels were original/innovative". Like, did we watch the same shit? Just because the films didn't rip off other films in their own franchise, doesn't make them original. The prequels were a pile of bland stock characters in a cliche ridden story with some of the laziest direction and cinematography I've seen in a big budget production. People gloss over the visual aspects of film like they aren't important but in a visual medium they really sort of are.

I don't really have a desire to go to the next films but will probably see them anyway because I'm also not dead set against them or anything
It's mainly because, as far as the Original Trilogy goes, it appealed to a childlike sense of wonderment & imagination for the time. It was space wizards dueling with laser swords set in a sci-fi fantasy universe. The story wasn't anything phenomenal, but the special effects and action sequences enticed audiences to gravitate towards this franchise in the first place (thus creating the most autistic movie fandom in cinematic history the world over).

And then, Georgie fucked the pooch. Instead of ending it at VI, why not go further? Thanks to corporate greed, the franchise devalued once the Prequels ruined everything that made the Originals fun (except for 50% of Return of the Jedi, fuck that movie), the EU became shittier with incredibly retarded stories added to the lore, and it was never given any rest save for a very small amount of decent material that emerged from the wreckage post-Originals like a few novels and some games.

The Farce Awakens, while being a safe film, was filled with unlikable character dialogue on par with Whedonesque snark + being a lazy retread of A New Hope to which it was inferior to. Also, MaRey Sue is a cunt, Poe is forgettable, Phasma was useless, Emo Ren became a bitch, Snoke is a joke, Finn is a contradictory nigger, and the star map to find Luke is lazily rushed by the end because, DERPY-DOO, R2-D2 had the rest of the map all along. Rogue Autism, on the other hand, was an extremely boring film that had no reason to exist save for parts of its climax + it contradicted the beginning of A New Hope. I don't have much hope for Disney's Star Whores for the foreseeable future since it'll be milked forcibly for the next 30 years and beyond.

Lastly, the Prequel apologists are mentally impaired autists. Ignore them.
God's in his Heaven/All's right with the world

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Also there really aren't that many science fantasy / space opera movie franchises around.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

TheProgressive

Post by TheProgressive » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:16 pm

I actually sort of liked Rey. I agree with the irritating dialogue though. This snarky nonsense is what keeps turning me off Marvel's capeshit movies too. People keep defending the MCU films with "oh it should be a more fun and light in tone like comics" but the comics I loved as a kid weren't that kind of "fun". The Raimi Soidey films were a bit closer to that kind of colourful nonsense. Then again, I used to read old school compilations of stuff like Flash where he'd fight cloud monsters and colourful villains like the weather wizard so my perception of capeshit is a bit skewed!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm

What is it with the 2010s and snark anyway? I can't think of one modern update of an old movie or TV show where I haven't thought "when did all the characters turn into assholes?"
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:50 pm

George always had the prequels in mind. I remember him talking vaguely about it on one of the Original Trilogy VHS'.

The best things to come out of the Prequel Trilogy are the RedLetterMedia Plinkett reviews.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

TheProgressive

Post by TheProgressive » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 pm

He might have had the notion of prequels in mind but I in no way believe he had any idea of what they would actually be, given how contrived the linkage between the two trilogies was.

He had the prequels in mind the same way many games companies have their DLC in mind when advertising their season passes.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Rushy wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
What is it with the 2010s and snark anyway? I can't think of one modern update of an old movie or TV show where I haven't thought "when did all the characters turn into assholes?"
Millennials.