Doctor Who (The Fuck Is This Series Aimed At Anymore?)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
rabidtictac

Re: Doctor Who (The Fuck Is This Series Aimed At Anymore?)

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 am

Who cares about Doctor Who anyway? It's the science fiction equivalent of capeshit.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

sigh

Post by sigh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 am

The series is aimed at the tumblr crowd and it was aimed at the tumblr crowd from season 5 onwards. It might have been more subtle than now, but that is the vibe that the show had for most of the time it was on.
As if anybody that saw this years finale is surprised by this, it was telegraphed at least twice and the dramatic "I don't want to go" type shit at the end is exactly how they'll damage control the transition. I'm only surprised that they didn't keep the gay companion for this, but that is probably too obvious, but who knows now that she is a lesbian puddle space goddess she could easily make a quick visit know and again for old times sake, she was rather liked so keeping her as a recurring character would be a good option.

The salt that it is getting from crybabies is beautiful and will justify even more things that will piss them off.

As for the show if it survived "The Name of the Doctor" and "The Time of the Doctor" it will survive everything at this point except maybe a budget cut.

TheProgressive

Post by TheProgressive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am

sigh wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 am
As for the show if it survived "The Name of the Doctor" and "The Time of the Doctor" it will survive everything at this point except maybe a budget cut.
Which would be sad if it is anything like last time because IMO that's when the show started to become really good again after a number of really shitty seasons (Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Survival and Rememberence of the Daleks being some of my favourite stories).

Personally, I think the worst thing to happen to the show was to make it all about the title character. To me, as much as I enjoy it, it has always been daft escapist fiction which I enjoy for the same reason I enjoy vidya (something to relax to on the train back from work). Making it all about the characters as opposed to the silly adventures just exposes dodgy writing when you aren't having the fun.

sigh

Post by sigh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, it's only fair that it goes both ways.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm

I feel ashamed and disgusted that we got yet another white Doctor.

Get with the fucking times, BBC! Let the Doctor finally be a transgender Pakistani midget without legs. Xir could ride around on that toaster dog thing.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Who gives a fuck about Doctor Who any more?
Your Facebook controller sucking nerd grills, and any normie type who collects the doctor funko pops and tartus lunch boxes.

Any hype for the show will die now, they will bring someone twice as british next season.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Doctor Who allways seemed like one of those franchises where the bad overhwelmingly outweighs the good.

Yes

Post by Yes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm
Get with the fucking times, BBC! Let the Doctor finally be a transgender Pakistani midget without legs. Xir could ride around on that toaster dog thing.
If i remember correctly the old show said that there was nothing stopping the dr from turning into an animal.

So a platypus Transspecies Pakistani without legs is clearly more with the time and it fits the lore.

ALSO HOW DARE YOU CALL B17ch A DOG.
Swedish smiths spend years working on a single sperge and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest Let's players known to mankind.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:55 am

It surprises me how long Doctor Who has been a thing. The show is terrible. It's like when kids put on a play for their parents-- the kids are having fun and the parents know it's terrible but they appreciate it. Nobody else does. The most they do is think it's cute and kids having fun, but they don't sit there and watch it with the parents when the parents watch the video of it that they made.

Doctor Who is kind of like that. Except the people who watch it never shut up about it, around here, and the show is absolutely unwatchable the second time through. It's tolerable the first time if you keep in mind that it's basically a campy-soap-opera-mystery-science-thriller thing that you aren't supposed to take too seriously. It's horrible the second time onward.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

Whatever

Post by Whatever » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:54 am

To answer the question of the thread: the revival was started for everyone who ever thought they could buy their nerd cred by taking selfies with their Officially Licensed Doctor Who thingie-bobber and posting it to social media. and declaring that they are SUCH a nerd.