Ready Player One

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Oengae

Ready Player One

Post by Oengae » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:57 pm

So I was vaguely aware of Ready Player One but never read anything from it until the movie trailer was released at SDCC and people started posting stuff about the book and author and jesus this shit is cringe to read and listen to:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFcnGXgXgAIJaLX.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFcg38mXsAImnJB.jpg

Some other bits of trivia:
  • The author actually owns a DeLorean like he describes in the book covered in nerd shit.
  • In the book the President of the US and the VP are Cory Doctrow and Wil Wheton. He's actually buddies with Wil and Wil reads the audiobook.
  • There's an entire chapter that's just a straight-up transcript of Wargames
  • The first sentence of the book is "I was born in 2025, but I wished I was born in 1980."
  • Spielberg is directing, presumably because he really needs the money.
Basically, the whole story is the sort of Bazinga-tier Faux Nerd Wet Dream where a nerd who memorized 80's trivia saves the world by finding Easter eggs in a VR world and comes off incredibly smug about it. It reads like Movieblob's book if he turned it into a sci-fi novel and sucked Wil Wheton's dick hard enough to get his endorsement. Also, I'm betting that he gives it a rave review.

And before this, the author wrote "Geek spoken word poetry" which is cringey as shit:
http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/

And here's someone doing some dramatic readings if you don't want to read through that:

Stranger

Re: Ready Player One

Post by Stranger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Got 10 seconds into that first video and noped out.

That title was so accurate that I'm disappointed in myself for doubting it.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm

I saw an ad for this shit on jewtube while watching on a device, actually. It was unbelievably retarded, but even I didn't foresee this Sonichu-level of autism coming.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:38 am

This is too autistic for me
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 am

Damn book is just a list. At least Billy Joel had to write a song to go with his.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 am

"I CLAPPED, I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW [insert nerd culture reference]!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiK2fhOY0nE

Boy, this is just... too much.

This is the end goal of "nerd culture", just endless references strung together by a plot that even Stephanie Myers would call shallow and poorly written.

It's basically references with parts of Spy Kids 3 put in between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fzWG9-mjB4

Of course idiots are going make this movie a billion dollars.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:38 am

I dunno. Spielberg's last movie didn't do too well.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

sigh

Post by sigh » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 am

The 80's was a long decade (ten whole years)
This is some satire pointed at the current "geek culture`"?

Seele

Post by Seele » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 am

Mother of shit...

This is encapsulated autism in it's most raw form, and the perfect example of everything hideously wrong with the liberal fad known as "nerd culture". I mean, holy shit. It's literally nothing but references. Fucking nostalgia pandering references! How the fuck did any of this self fellating SoCal-tier bullshit get passed as actual human writing? It comes off as Movieblob's personal wet dream. Absolutely NOTHING is original about it. It's a shopping list of the author's personal safe space memories from a "muh childhood" perspective.

I hope this shit bombs. Spielberg is past his prime, so his Lucas-tier directing should make for Fucking a hopefully negative performance. There isn't much to build off of considering the source material is pure cancer, so, it could very likely doom itself or "geek" autists will flock to it in droves for "muh nostalgia hurr durr" and it makes an undeserving amount of cash.
God's in his Heaven/All's right with the world

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:19 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm
I saw an ad for this shit on jewtube while watching on a device, actually. It was unbelievably retarded, but even I didn't foresee this Sonichu-level of autism coming.
Why does the guy in the videos sound like you? Is Mr Feel an alt account? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.