James Cameron slams Wonder Woman

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: James Cameron slams Wonder Woman

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:13 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:50 am
Something being similar to another thing isn't enough to win a lawsuit.
See National Comics Publications v. Fawcett Publications. DC Comics sued, and more-or-less won against, Fawcett because their Captain Marvel 'looked similar' to Superman. Judge ruled in their favour twice.
Poonoo wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 am
I meant the studio telling the magazine not to publish that part, not the mag itself.
That's SOP for studios. It's not specific to Ellison himself. You don't admit to anything that could get you sued, this is why.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:51 am

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:13 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:50 am
Something being similar to another thing isn't enough to win a lawsuit.
See National Comics Publications v. Fawcett Publications. DC Comics sued, and more-or-less won against, Fawcett because their Captain Marvel 'looked similar' to Superman. Judge ruled in their favour twice.
Poonoo wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 am
I meant the studio telling the magazine not to publish that part, not the mag itself.
That's SOP for studios. It's not specific to Ellison himself. You don't admit to anything that could get you sued, this is why.
You autist
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:13 am
You don't admit to anything that could get you sued, this is why.
It makes you wonder if Ellison was instrumental in making it be that way, though.

Faggot Josh Handley hates Tarantino because Quentin doesn't acknowledge the inspirations for his films. It should be obvious why that is. I'm sure he'd like to do it, but he just can't.
That's why we get things like "Kimba The White Lion? What's that?" from Disney and "Megazone 23? What's that?" from the Wachowski trannies.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 pm
It makes you wonder if Ellison was instrumental in making it be that way, though.
He is the king of Science Fiction litigation. Fuck L Ron Hubbard

I think Cameron's mistake in cavalierly going around saying he ripped off Ellison was that he underestimated just how powerful that one little Science Fiction author really is.
Liar Revealed wrote:
That's why we get things like "Kimba The White Lion? What's that?" from Disney
Thing is, Disney have the most powerful lawyers on the planet, which is why Tezuka Productions never sued them even though some of the shots in the very least clearly ripped off from Kimba the White Lion. Disney could very well say 'Yeah, we ripped off Kimba the White Lion. Fuck you' and get away with it.

Conversely, if your property is even remotely similar to one of theirs, they will beat down your door with a cease and desist.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
"Megazone 23? What's that?"
Megazone? Don't you mean Robotech: The Movie?

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:44 pm

For a moment I read that as "BattleTech: The Movie". One can dream...
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 pm
Liar Revealed wrote:
That's why we get things like "Kimba The White Lion? What's that?" from Disney
Thing is, Disney have the most powerful lawyers on the planet, which is why Tezuka Productions never sued them even though some of the shots in the very least clearly ripped off from Kimba the White Lion. Disney could very well say 'Yeah, we ripped off Kimba the White Lion. Fuck you' and get away with it.
Didn't Disney help them with the funding? Sounds like a "You scratch my back..." kind of deal.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Tezuka was very much inspired by Disney. In fact, I think the smoking gun in the case was that Tezuka said Disney should remake Kimba the White Lion. But as far as actual funding by Disney is concerned, the only thing I can find is that Disney wanted to hire Tezuka for a potential project.
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:05 pm

That would've been interesting to see.

And Tezuka was not the only one to be inspired. A lot- if not all - early manga had a very Disney-ish style to them. Tezuka was just the biggest one that stayed around.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 pm

If you're willing to go down that chain you can claim people being inspired by other stuff endlessly.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 am

Tezuka stole from Disney very blatantly. But this is what I mean about one thing being similar to another doesn't = you have grounds to win a lawsuit.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome