Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Director's Cut for the first time. Second time was on TV and I don't remember which one they showed.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:23 pm

I thought the movie was boring AF when I was a kid. I enjoyed movies like "2001" at the time even.

I've learned to appreciate it more now. Mainly for its visuals, practical effects, soundtrack, and noir aspects. I have to go in with the mindset that "this is not an action movie", despite how the movie was promoted.

And, the movie inspired a lot of better things like Bubblegum Crisis.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Technically it's great. It's just the whole story and writing that's mediocre at the very best.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:57 am

From the other anime thread, regarding world trigger:
Well, the point of them fighting each other is twofold: First, it's training to get stronger so they can fight off any actual invasions better, and it's also the method for determining which are the strongest squads because they're the ones that get sent on the missions into the other world.

Still, I will admit that the series has been focusing too much on the tournament. All the tournament battles have been good for the purpose of development and I've liked most of them individually, but it's been going on for so long that it's starting to get a bit tiring and you just want them to get to the other world already. The good news is that the series did seem like it was moving towards a conclusion on that point, with there being only two matches left, but unfortunately that's also when it went on hiatus.
I get that, but it's boring. It also doesn't really make sense. Boxers don't only fight in tournaments to "get stronger" for pro matches. They have a whole regimen of different activities to do which don't involve sparring at all. Characters becoming stronger solely by fighting other characters they have no reason to want to hurt is a very "shounen mango" thing to do.

How many times did Joseph Joestar and Jotaro Kujo fight in Stardust? How many times did (not evil) Polnareff and Kakyoin fight each other? How many times did Iggy fight Joseph? Sure, some of these characters fought each other when they were evil and under Dio's influence, but never once they were on the same side. The story has actual stakes and the characters are on a time crunch which prevents the boring bullshit that you often see in shounen storylines. And I wouldn't say Stardust was by any means the best part of JoJo.

I think it's an understatement in World Trigger to say the tournament fights have been going on too long. I stopped reading when I realized World Trigger was just a video game I couldn't play. I can go play video games if I want a bunch of action that repeats endlessly with no stakes or consequences.

I do like that the main character is a shitbird loser rather than an OP supersaiyan, but his best friend is (sigh) an OP supersaiyan. Well, shit. There's some creative stuff in World Trigger, mostly (again) having to do with strategy within the individual fights, but the fights ultimately aren't up to much and don't mean anything. As for "who gets selected to go adventuring," there's no mystery. Either the team gets selected or they don't and only the girl goes. Since it's a shounen, the shounen team will probably win despite all odds and be selected to go, but maybe they'll pull a swerve and send just the girl so she can get kidnapped or some shit.

Whereas with a story like Gantz, I genuinely had no fucking idea what was going to happen from chapter to chapter because the series didn't care about established story conventions or even protecting the main characters.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 am

One could say that World Trigger is just taking contemporary shounen conventions to their logical conclusions. Did they already run into Mr. "My power is that I can't lose and even if I do I just win anyways"?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 am

Dear Watchmojo.com

Please die of AIDS from introducing me to "goosh goosh."* I've barely gotten over poonta.

*Please don't look that up. Its anime gay rape.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 am

Pope Corky III wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 am
Dear Watchmojo.com

Please die of AIDS from introducing me to "goosh goosh."* I've barely gotten over poonta.

*Please don't look that up. Its anime gay rape.
That's your stupid fault for watching WatchMojo.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Everyone watched a video by them at least once.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Anime gay rape? Why would you make up a new word for "98% of all yaoi stuff"?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 am

So I guess for the lulz, Chargeman Ken has been licensed in America and will be released on DVD. This show is widely regarded as the worst anime of all time.
お前はもう死んでいる。