Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
rabidtictac

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 pm
Violence Jack has some volumes scanned but it's a fucking massive series, it's arguably Nagai's magnum opus.
They tried multiple times to bring the Hokuto no Ken manga over but it never worked out, Viz gave up and Raijin Comics went boom. Raijin made special full color versions of the first ten volumes + two volumes of Souten no Ken. They're hard to get and they've never been scanned anywhere AFAIK. I remember seeing on ebay that theres reverse imported versions of the full color edition in Japanese.
I remember seeing these at my library years ago. But it was years ago. There was also some weird hokuto no ken manga that was in english, like a prologue or something. It was so long ago I can't remember except that I did see some HnK and it was in english. But I'm sure that shit costs $100 each volume at this point.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm
A lot of the designs look fucking terrible:

Luffy has a big dumb scar.
Nami is dressed like a beach slut for some reason.
Robin looks like a Hawaiian prostitute. How did we go from Miss All-Sunday to this?
Sanji barely changed at all which is fine.
Zoro looks ok I guess, but the bathrobe looks bad compared to his old outfit.
Chopper's proportions have changed completely for no raisin. He now has a giant fucking head.
Franky looks like a different character, GG.
Brook is barely different, but it doesn't matter because he was in the cast for a very short time before the skip.
Usopp is buff for some reason.
I wouldn't say Robin looks more like a prostitute know. More like a different sort of prostitute with less goth. Though I sometimes get the impression she and Nami should switch outfits.
I miss Zoro's old outfit. It was more unique than his samurai cosplay. His bandana was basically a part of his character (though I'm not sure if he actually ditched it for good or not).
Timeskip Chopper doesn't have a giant fucking head, he has a giant fucking helmet big enough for his helmet and his old hat (whose front part ist still poking out). Very, very odd.
I wouldn't say Brook is barely different. Dude is swag as fuck now.
I actually dig Usopp's new look because I like his afro-thing and he seems to have legit tried to become less of a wuss (even if it didn't help a lot). His weird plant ammo kinda cool IMO. Not sure about the hat though.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 am

I checked Amazon and the Devilman and Cutie Honey manga will be published in English hardcover this year starting in May. There are also some newer Devilman and Cutie Honey "reboot" mangas that will be coming over, but I know nothing about them: Devilman Grimoire, Devilman vs Hades, and Cutie Honey a Go Go!

It would be nice if somebody rescued the Hokuto no Ken manga license, but don't hold your breath. There's talk of making an official digital English release, but that's not much better than the existing scanlations.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:22 am

AFAIK Viz has dibs on all Shueshia and Shogakukan stuff with few exceptions. I doubt Viz has any interest in bringing over something so old for their regular Shonen Jump line.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 am
I checked Amazon and the Devilman and Cutie Honey manga will be published in English hardcover this year starting in May. There are also some newer Devilman and Cutie Honey "reboot" mangas that will be coming over, but I know nothing about them: Devilman Grimoire, Devilman vs Hades, and Cutie Honey a Go Go!

It would be nice if somebody rescued the Hokuto no Ken manga license, but don't hold your breath. There's talk of making an official digital English release, but that's not much better than the existing scanlations.
That's cool.

Noticed some of the vizbig shit that's coming out now (reprints of old mangos) is censored and/or uses a new translation. Just FYI because people might like to have larger volumes, but imo they're worse quality than the old paperbacks.

You'd think viz or whoever would be willing to put out HnK in the west. The anime got a reprint not too long ago and HnK shows up regularly in their video game crossover shit.

Unrelated but Toriko is fucking weird.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:52 pm

I flipped through a VizBig for FMA and IIRC they actually reverted a censored page where Greed was hanging up on a cross. Paper quality was terrible though. That reversion isn't in the official digital release.
Viz likes to change shit up between printing to be cunts.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 pm

What is censored? I know Dragonball probably is.
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

A lot of things tend to be, for more or less sane reasons.

(FMA Germany Edition is uncensored AFAIK, except they decided to not cal Bradley "Fuhrer" for obvious reasons. And of course all the nazis in Hellsing have a window instead of a swastika.)

Also fuck me, how hard is it to make decent printings of black-and-white comics?
Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 am
Cutie Honey gets rebooted all the time, doesn't she? There are like at least four different incarnations or something.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Dragonball was censored to fuck in vizbig. They removed nudity and I think the translation is different too.

And yeah, the quality is ass. I don't even want to imagine how bad wan piss is in the compilation volumes, when you consider how fucked the english translation job was in the first place. Fucking Zolo, Alubarna, "Kami" instead of "God" and so many others.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Gotta get them dubisms, gg Viz.
I've been reading Saint Seiya and it's got tons of dub names from the borked Knights of the Zodiac version, liking calling the them Knights instead of FUCKING SAINTS.