Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Charlar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:37 am

Poonoo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:11 am
Rapeculture wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 am
I will never understand its popularity.
It's because you are older than us and were what, about 18 when it got big in the west since your about 6 years older than me. That shit is cool to a 13 year old, especially since back then kids shows were formulaic and boring. In DBZ there were long arcs which were rare in kids shows and characters actually fucking died. That was a revelation compared to what we had back then, I know eventually in DBZ that shit didn't matter with all the reviving crap but initially the possibility of characters actually dying and the insane length of battles across multiple episodes made it stand out from boring shit like Pokemon.

And a bunch of men yelling, punching the shit out of each other and firing lasers out of their hands is cool as shit as a teenager.

TL/DR, you are an old man and you don't get it.
I disagree, as a teenager i thought it looked embarrassingly stupid, i still is but i think of it as dumb fun that unfortunately suffered from bad writing but still enjoyable, there's much better out there but much worse too but it should have remained like DB
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm

The original Dragon Ball was great. It had a sense of humor. I still like the "Z" portion up until the Majin Boo arc. That chapter dragged on forever and seemed pointless.

I think Toei realized that the original was better than Z and that's why they tried to go backwards, which they shouldn't have done, and gave us GT. Going backwards, making characters weaker, is incredibly frustrating to watch.

I liked that Super tried to go forward. But there's not a lot left to do with these characters that hasn't been done already. So we're just going to get the gang fighting dull aliens villains from dimension Asspull from now until eternity.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm
The original Dragon Ball was great. It had a sense of humor. I still like the "Z" portion up until the Majin Boo arc. That chapter dragged on forever and seemed pointless.

I think Toei realized that the original was better than Z and that's why they tried to go backwards, which they shouldn't have done, and gave us GT. Going backwards, making characters weaker, is incredibly frustrating to watch.

I liked that Super tried to go forward. But there's not a lot left to do with these characters that hasn't been done already. So we're just going to get the gang fighting dull aliens villains from dimension Asspull from now until eternity.
I'm starting to give the Buu arc more of a chance, especially with Super coming out and handwaving GT away as never having existed. If Super did nothing else, it un-neutered Gohan again finally.

That said, even with bringing back the Androids, it seems like Super's basically just Saiyans power level +50: what new hair colors left can we give them?
The Z saga at least gave other characters the opportunity to power up occasionally and beat at least a few opponents in the larger story. Piccolo is now basically hanging around useless like Krillin.

And the voice actors said they could easily do 400 more episodes of this? :lol:
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm
The Z saga at least gave other characters the opportunity to power up occasionally and beat at least a few opponents in the larger story. Piccolo is now basically hanging around useless like Krillin.
He was pretty useless even by the time of the Boo Arc. He and Kuririn got turned to stone like chumps. GT even killed him off permanently, seeing no use in him. It was basically just a Saiyan show at that point. It would be nice if they could find some way to power him up again though. (Absorb a bunch of those alt-universe Nameckians?)

I do like that Super has brought in the Cyborgs. (Boo Arc pretty much forgot they existed.)They should have also found some way to use Boo, as he should be one of the most powerful non-Saiyan characters.

I kind of wish they'd do more with Freeza. I really liked that part when he took out Cabba. They should have had him take out the two Saiyan chicks as well. The series is in desperate need of a dirty antihero as Vegeta really isn't one anymore.
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Charlar wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:37 am
I disagree, as a teenager i thought it looked embarrassingly stupid, i still is but i think of it as dumb fun that unfortunately suffered from bad writing but still enjoyable, there's much better out there but much worse too but it should have remained like DB
When I was a teenager, I also thought that DBZ was a bit too stupid. Then I got older and read the original DB with its good kind of stupid.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 am
DBZ has a lot of problems related to how old it is which other mangos in the same genre have gone out of their way to address, sometimes to a fault. Now you have shit like My Hero Academia, where every character is a speshul snowflake with some unique super power.
I'm not kidding, shit like that forced me on a magical girl cleanse, just to be safe from assholes who spent the better part of a fight talking about how their special snowflake powers are supposed to work and/or some bullshit power level metric. Anything anywhere close to a typical Bleach fight would give me legit panic attacks.

That stuff was also something that turned me off of Fairy Tail early on (besides Fairy Tail being a bit crap in general): If magic is something you can just study, why isn't there more "generic" magic around instead of all those snowflake powers? I could barely tell what was supposed to be so extra special about this whole dragon slayer magic, which is basically elemental magic with a few extra (not that there are enough normal elementalists to act as proper point of comparison).

It's like Hiro Mashima borrowed from Full Metal Alchemist without realizing that the reason alchemists specialize like crazy is because fights usually don't leave them with enough time to draw transmutation circles on the fly.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:18 am

I think JoJo figured out the shounen formula really early and did it right for quite some time.

Parts 1 and 2 had more generic shounen characters. Hamon was a generic skill used to fighting vampires, but every character still had their own unique ways to use the hamon.

Then you had part 3 where everyone was a unique snowflake, but the unique snowflake abilities all boil down to psychic powers (that's what stands are) and they usually just end up attacking someone with their unique shit. It wasn't at My Hero Academia levels of speshul snowflake bullshit, where you have characters like gravity girl that have to enact some amazing keikaku to even hurt someone.

Part 4 got kind of speshul snowflake again, but I still love part 4. The stand shit got way less powerful and way more specific. Vampires were gone and Araki has said he specifically tried to depower characters because he realized (correctly) that power creep could ruin his stories. He wasn't happy with how powerful everyone got during part 3 and you can see that with how he both depowered Jotaro and then found excuses to keep Jotaro out of the action. Even strong stands like The Hand were given idiot users to balance them.

I don't know much about part 5 except I think I remember hearing Gold Experience was overpowered as shit. I don't know how his more recent stuff has turned out because I never caught up on it.

Anyway, my point is that Araki went out of his way to try to work around the shounen formula. He did a lot of things based on what he hadn't seen in shounen, for example Lisa Lisa being so strong in part 2, or Baron Zepelli in part 1 being an atypical trainer character.

A lot of the shit Araki did was probably in reaction to dragon ball + seeing over time what worked and didn't work in his own manga. I can't say for sure though because I never bought his book specifically about this subject.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 pm
I'm not kidding, shit like that forced me on a magical girl cleanse, just to be safe from assholes who spent the better part of a fight talking about how their special snowflake powers are supposed to work and/or some bullshit power level metric. Anything anywhere close to a typical Bleach fight would give me legit panic attacks.
Reminder that Toriyama is the reason we have Bleach, because Shueisha dismissed it as a subpar Yu Yu Hakusho clone.

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 am

Guest wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 am
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Reminder that Toriyama is the reason we have Bleach, because Shueisha dismissed it as a subpar Yu Yu Hakusho clone.
Wait what? In what year was that?
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 am

Guest wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 am
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Bleach IS a subpar YYH clone. And I don't even like YYH very much. Everything it tried to do was done better with HxH, especially the art.

Yu Yu Hakusho also has the same problem as DBZ. The basics of reiki are pretty much the same and a lot of the series is about dudes going super saiyan and powering up with generic ki energy that looks similar to what everyone else does. Yeah Kuwabara has a lightsaber and Yusuke has a gun but it's all the same shit otherwise. Demon powers are slightly different but it just comes down to ki power levels.

One of the first things arc ONE of JoJo did was establish that the pure amount of hamon you could work with wasn't as important as your control. AFAIK there aren't hamon power levels. You either know how to use it or you don't and then the rest is how well you control it and in what way (what medium you pass hamon through). Keep in mind that's the first, most basic shounen arc of JoJo too.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Fucking power levels triggered me something fierce in Bleach. There are assholes in there who can just no-sell shit because they have the power level advantage. Why even bother with creative powers if they'll only help you in a more or less even match?

(Also they had like the most stupid and inconsistent rules regarding power level sensing. If someone's A LOT more powerful than you, you will either shit your pants, have your head explode,... or you won't sense him at all because he's off the charts for you.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette