Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:20 am

At least his first name isn't Dick.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:48 pm

A weird cope by both producers and fans of X-Men '97 appears to be "If you don't like this YOU ARE THE BAD GUYS!" Also bloody hell, that's some quality 3D modeling. Was this done in Poser or something?
Also I'm surprised that their need for forced diversity even extends to the BAD GUYS. I would file "grappling with potential loss of self" under "existential nightmare", not "so enby uwu".
Aka more like this:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:33 pm

Mutant powers are frequently much more dangerous than owning a semi-automatic rifle. Mutants aren't just deformed people. Some of them can summon tornadoes or blow up your brain or stop time. X-Men as an allegory for racism is stupid in the first place but it takes a massive amount of dissonance to think people in favor of gun grabs, strict COVID laws, and banning gas stoves wouldn't be on the side of "mutant registration".

Also aren't the "bad guys" in X-Men people like Magneto and Juggernaut?

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole

Post by Gendo's Ocular Dickhole » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:45 pm

>THIS IS YOU!
That's some raw Dobson energy right there. :roll:
CMD has unforeseen consequences...Show

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:42 pm

Still better than being called a Not-A-Person by MovieBlob. That's just mean :(
RedLine wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:33 pm
X-Men as an allegory for racism is stupid in the first place but it takes a massive amount of dissonance to think people in favor of gun grabs, strict COVID laws, and banning gas stoves wouldn't be on the side of "mutant registration".
The whole baggage surrounding Marvel's Mutant Question is fucking retarded, and any attempt to make it an allegory for some real world issue just adds to the autism. And that's not even going into the existence of the rest of the Marvel capeshitter who just don't have to deal with this nonsense.
With the current Zeitgeist going they wouldn't even be able to do the original Civil War storyline, since any capeshitter outing himself to be pro-registration would be forever branded a racist on par with Lovecraft himself.
Also aren't the "bad guys" in X-Men people like Magneto and Juggernaut?
Fanatic supremacists/terrorists are brave freedom fighters as long as they are the approved kind of supremacist/terrorist.
Magneto will be tricky, though. One one hand he'll probably try to kill THE BAD GUYS, on the other hand he's Jewish.
-Yours Truly

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:26 am

All this is why I prefer it when there's only one superhero. Fuck the leagues and societies and all that.

It overcomplicates a simple power fantasy.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:43 am

In an existence full of superheroes and invasions by aliens and time travel and encounters with other things of awe maybe no one would care about a genetic defect that let's some people shoot lasers out of their eyes.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:24 am

I prefer a superhero who either doesn't have powers or who has pretty shitty powers. Makes it easier to design villains too, when your author-insert capeshitter doesn't have every magic power under the sun, like a kid on a playground.

"Nuh uh, my nullifier vision prevents your bullets from reaching me!"

How MovieBlob can like capeshit still baffles me sometimes. It's just so fucking awful. The more I think about it, the more the concept of capery is inherently bad as a vehicle for dramatically-affecting storytelling. Imagine if fucking Edmond Dantes had super speed, or D'Artagnan could fire heat rays from his eyes. :lol:

Fictional protagonists are already OP as fuck without adding literal magic powers on top. :P
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:16 am

RedLine wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:43 am
In an existence full of superheroes and invasions by aliens and time travel and encounters with other things of awe maybe no one would care about a genetic defect that let's some people shoot lasers out of their eyes.
"I know if Spider-Man wanted, he could just climb into my house and rip off my head like a Mortal Kombat character, but at least he wasn't born like that unlike those X-Freaks. I think, at least. What was his origin again?"
rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:24 am
I prefer a superhero who either doesn't have powers or who has pretty shitty powers. Makes it easier to design villains too, when your author-insert capeshitter doesn't have every magic power under the sun, like a kid on a playground.
The trick is to go all-out and embrace the insanity, like Stardust the Super-ChadWizard.
-Yours Truly

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:40 pm

I was a big X-Men reader in the 80s (Chris Claremont) and the comics back then definitely were inspired by civil rights issues and it works on the level that kids interpret things. If you try to make adult sense of it all, then it becomes retarded, but that's true of all superhero shit.

In the end, every hero and villain is a metaphor and the overall metaphor of the X-Men is that they are outside of "mainstream society". A lot of kids related to that, particularly comic book nerds back in the day.

Today, we have a lot of fake outsiders. Victimhood is now valuable currency and people claim to be ostracized even while society bends over for them. And these seem to be the people who are behind this new X-Men thing, who it's aimed at, and who's defending it.