Hollywood Rehashings (Nostalgia fucking blows...)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Hollywood Rehashings (Nostalgia fucking blows...)

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 am
Viz translation style is gay-ass rewrites in general. They censored a lot of goofy shit for their Shonen Jump line as well as their brandless shonen collection ("Zatch Bell" in particular keeping all the shit aspects of their 4kids tier dub and they didn't even finish it.)
It wasn't exclusive to them either, CMX supposedly had a heavily butchered Tenjou Tenge (I never read it) and Yen Press did a lot of bizarre shit with their LN lineup like that Spice & Wolf cover fiasco.
Huh...

*Google-fu*

"So we decided to replace the cover of this Japanese light novel with some generic Western fantasy thing because we figured that a Japanese light novel is too Japanese for Western audiences. Also we're a company that primarily translates Japanese stuff and therefore only has weeb fans anyways, but fuck it."

O_o
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Billy sure would like this weeb light novel about nip school kids a lot more if there was a cowboy on the cover.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 pm

You just know Cowboy Bebop would've been even bigger if they'd but a live-action cowboy on the DVD cover.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:19 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 am
"So we decided to replace the cover of this Japanese light novel with some generic Western fantasy thing because we figured that a Japanese light novel is too Japanese for Western audiences. Also we're a company that primarily translates Japanese stuff and therefore only has weeb fans anyways, but fuck it."

Sounds like the localization mentality of video game companies from the 90s and early 2000's.

If you knew absolutely nothing about this game beforehand and judged it solely by the cover, you would think it was a low-budget Tomb Raider clone starring a dime store version of the Charlie's Angels.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I can almost get that from back then with publishers thinking "Oh no, we don't want to confuse our audience with this weird 'Japanimation' thing", but nowadays? And especially with stuff like Spice & Wolf, whose animu version generated a lot of internet buzz solely because the main character was like naked for at most one episode?
That's almost as bad as like taking those Haruhi light novels and give them some "Beverly Hills, 90210" cover.
-Yours Truly

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:20 am
I thought the Kanzenban was pretty complete?
Johnny wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 am
How were the Japanese releases fucked up? As far as I know, the only big change in the standard Dragon Ball paperbacks in Japan was the logo.
I was referring more to the anime, the only issues with the KZB's I know of is issues with the color pages not being like the magazine. Toei did a lot of fun stuff, most notably trashing the broadcast audio (all the DVDs have an optical track that sounds like shit). The Dragon Boxes are rare and expensive but they were shit since Toei applied no color correction to them at all and just threw them on the disc. They also refuse to release an open-matte version of the movies and only put out the cropped widescreen, the Laserdiscs are even letterboxed. I don't know why you'd animate a picture in open-matte at all if you were gonna do that.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:18 pm
I was referring more to the anime, the only issues with the KZB's I know of is issues with the color pages not being like the magazine.

That's pretty understandable, given how they probably lost the original source art. It has happened with quite a few other manga titles.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:24 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:18 pm
They also refuse to release an open-matte version of the movies and only put out the cropped widescreen, the Laserdiscs are even letterboxed. I don't know why you'd animate a picture in open-matte at all if you were gonna do that.
It was done that way for quite a while, allegedly to be easier to broadcast on TV and sell on VHS and Laserdisc.
お前はもう死んでいる。

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 am

Thread is weebshit 2.0.... thread is a failure.
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

Throne of Dysentery

Post by Throne of Dysentery » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:21 am

Where's my live action version of Pinky and the Brain, starring a Pacific Islander and some kind of Spanish? Hollywood better not fuck it up and put two white men in the leads.
I never sold my Daewoo. I kept getting low-balled and said fuck it. I’m going to keep it and watch it soar in value!