South Park

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: South Park

Post by Keith Chegwin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 am

Same problem with Fox and The Simpsons. Except that in both cases they've got more than enough episodes to syndicate the show if they want, and show endless repeats if they don't want. I think Fox in America did like an entire week of Simpsons on one of their sister channels.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

GodsGift

Post by GodsGift » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 am

It was a marathon of every episode for two weeks seriously 24/7 Simpsons and it took the two weeks to show every episode

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 am

If you've got enough episodes to fill two weeks of programming, it's time to stop
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:35 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 pm
Episodic storytelling is currently the cancer ruining tv.
Do you mean episodic (oldschool way of doing tv) or serialized (Game of Thrones)?
Because, I'm kind of starting to miss episodic TV. Something you can just turn on and watch to relax and not have to have been following every episode for years to understand.
I meant serialized. The Wire and The Shield were good shows, but most of the other shit made using that format has been fucking terrible.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 pm

The Wire worked because it wasn't four seasons of the same shit and because they knew when to stop. Breaking Bad also knew when to stop but then pushed another season after it was supposed to be over. I haven't watched the last season and I find that the show was starting to overstay it's welcome.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:55 pm

I also meant serialized. I don't know how I get those confused.
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:05 pm

the fuck, is it me or is tweek channeling spoony in episode 2 of the new season?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Just Some Random Guy

Post by Just Some Random Guy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:22 am

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:12 am
I dunno. I kind of like arcs and continuity. A lot of my favourite shows have them, including Seinfeld. Don't get me wrong, I like stuff you can just dip into as well, but I think I prefer the former. It's also much easier to keep up with shows these days than it would have been even ten years ago.
Seinfeld wasn't serialized, though. It had some ongoing plots, most notably the season where they tried to make a TV show, but the main plot of most episodes was fairly self-contained, even the ones that fed into the larger arcs.
I appreciate the effort Trey and Matt are putting into trying to keep it fresh after twenty years. The Simpsons would never try anything different like this. The problem is that it's been on for twenty years now and realistically they've reached the limit of stories they can tell. They should just finish it off with another movie and then do something else.
Well the problem with South Park's 20th season was they went way overboard with serialization. Season 19 also had strong ongoing plots, but was much better received because it did a much better job balancing the ongoing stories with episodes whose main plot was standalone. If the 20th season had been more in that format, it probably would've been better received.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 am

Just Some Random Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:22 am
Seinfeld wasn't serialized, though.
I never said that it was. I said that it had arcs and continuity. Everyone else was saying they prefer shows with stand alone, self-contained episodes.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Duwango
Goon

Post by Duwango » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:27 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 pm
The Wire worked because it wasn't four seasons of the same shit and because they knew when to stop. Breaking Bad also knew when to stop but then pushed another season after it was supposed to be over. I haven't watched the last season and I find that the show was starting to overstay it's welcome.
I think Breaking Bad only really works in the first season and the majority of the 2nd; it was Dramedy at it's finest. A few (mostly self-contained) episodes in the 3rd and 4th seasons were good, and the 5th is an absolute waste that did nothing to evolve it's characters and set pieces. IMO the main problem is that Vince Gilligan tried too hard to force the "muh anti-heroic drug dealing protagonist" aspect at all times to please the reddit crowds. There was not a single respite from that shit and it doesn't really work most of the time.

He should've stuck to his chops from X-Files and kept the Heisenberg shit restricted to no more than two or three episodes per season and go for mostly standalone plots for the remaining episodes. Hey, the charismatic characters were there. 'The Fly' was a joy to watch in spite of it having no impact in the main storyline. I would've had a blast watching episodes with Uncle Hank as the main focus.