Overrated/underrated characters

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Overrated/underrated characters

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 am

Video games should never have been treated as an ar/utisted medium. Most of the artsy-farsty games are a slog to play. Any video game story that "breaks new ground" is only bringing shit that happens in literatue or film into the electronic toy medium for children. Suda got his start on the Fire Pro Wrestling franchise, the first game he designed had the shock ending where the MC sudoku's because of his depression.

ban

Post by ban » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am

Apparently, Mikami will never do more than just being a producer in games anymore, his last hands-on job with games was TEW1. No more Vanquish or God Hand successors. :cry: In case you're wondering why TEW2 is so different, it's because the Bethesda guy that did the DLCs for TEW1 is in charge of the game. :roll:

As for "auter" videogame makers, there's a reason they are usually stuck with small studios like Grasshopper, Gaia Studios, Cavia etc. Not everybody can have Kojima's luck I guess. There is a market, sure. But companies(and the audience due to hype culture) fail to recognise the other guys in the equation that help them. For example, those who say that Nier Automata is shit compared to Nier, well...that's what happens when Takuya Iwasaki is absent. They need someone to hold their inner-George Lucas in place.

Props for mentioning SWERY, the guy seems to slowly be coming back to the industry. D4 was pretty good but since I'm a weeb, I have to go with his contributions for Lord of Apocalypse. :lol:
Poonoo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 am
The reason I think Suda went to shit is that is seems like most of his games are the same hack and slash shit lately. No More Heroes, Killer is Dead and Lollipop Chainsaw had similar hack and slash gameplay, when you compare it to Killer7 which is so unique in it's gameplay the other stuff seems so uninspired and unoriginal by comparison. That and he embraced the oh-so-wacky shit way too much until Killer Is Dead which at least looks like he realised it was getting lame.
That's probably Grasshopper's fault more than Suda's. After No More Heroes, he took a break from game designing until Killer is Dead(and when he tried to design Shadows with Mikami). NMH2, Lolipop and the upcoming NMH3 don't have him in something beyond a producer or director it seems. Same with Let it Die because he apparently abandoned Lily Bergamo to work with Katsuhiro Otomo(the guy who made Akira) in making Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day that was part of the whole Short Peace collab.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:34 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 am
I almost mentioned swery. I think he's the guy who made Nier, right?
Nope, that's Yoko Taro. The guy with the dumb mask. He's a hack fraud that only knows how to write a single story with the entire twist being "Everyone and everything is shit". Oh and ripping off Berserk.
SWERY makes weird but good weird stuff. Very much along the lines of, no surprise there, Twin Peaks. Deadly Premonition is basically a Twin Peaks fanfic. :lol:
If you haven't played D4, you can easily skip that and just watch a LP of it.

The thing both guys have in common is that their games are just not good games. They gameplay is just so fucking lacklustre.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:57 pm

After watching the Psycho franchise, I'm gonna have to say Norman Bates. Yes, he's iconic and all, but that's only from the first movie, where he's mainly just a mystery. I'm talking about the aged Norman that the rest of the series actually focuses on.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 pm

TOBE FAIR, 99% of the public have never even heard of those sequels or have forgotten them. I forgot they existed until you brought them up a few weeks ago. Weren't they made-for-cable movies or something?
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 pm

The only thing that stuck with the public concious was that shot-for-shot remake, and that's mainly because of the concept of a shot-for-shot remake.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 pm
TOBE FAIR, 99% of the public have never even heard of those sequels or have forgotten them. I forgot they existed until you brought them up a few weeks ago. Weren't they made-for-cable movies or something?
The first two had theatrical releases(Ebert reviewed them). The fourth was made-for-cable(but that barely had Perkins anyway).
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm

The book had two sequels of its own but who the fuck reads books?

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Guest wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm
Me
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 am

Charlar wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:59 pm
Guest wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm
Me
rhetorical question.jpg
rhetorical question.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!