Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Books

Post by Rushy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:33 am

Personally, I just got bored after the characters I was invested in disappeared suddenly in God-Emperor, and then finally in the last two books, it was a whole new era with just Duncan Idaho remaining (and even he seems to have little continuity from book to book since he's a new clone in most of them).

That's why I often prefer Brian's stuff, because he's more about the characters than delivering philosophical messages and the books that he set in the House Atreides era(the House trilogy, Paul Of Dune, The Winds Of Dune) are highly engaging.

I haven't read the prequels, but his conclusion to Frank's series was fanfic shit, really disappointing and shows he didn't have a clue where his dad was going with the series.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 am

Fucking Duncan. I would've purged him right away. Suffer not the mutant to live!
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 am

Not a huge fan of books and in terms of fantasy stuff I prefer moving pictures, music and interaction (video games). I remember as a kid my first own book that I picked was a weighty tome with something about King Arthur and it bored me to death :lol:

Nowadays it has to be historical, political & philosophical stuff that I would even bother to buy and read a book but that's mostly because the internet isn't a good source for anything but small discussion and opinion snippets.
SpoilerShow

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:07 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 am
Fucking Duncan. I would've purged him right away. Suffer not the mutant to live!
Duncan is Dune's Mary Sue. Always loyal, always perfect, always boring af.
Kugelfisch wrote:

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am

Read I, Robot by Asimov. And the first three or so Foundation books.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Always wanted to get into Asimov at some point.

Anyone read Northwest Smith? It's about a Han-Solo-type of smuggler meeting ladies and blasting the shit out of cosmic horrors in varying degrees of Lovecraft.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 pm

That sounds amazing, is it a series or just one book?
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:40 pm

It was a series of pulp shorts, but you can get them all in a single book these days.

If I had to critize one thing, it's that "Shoot Eldritch Space God-thing with lazor beams until it stops moving" is a somewhat overused solution. The stuff before that is thankfully more varied.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 am

I finished this book a few weeks ago.

I like hard sci fi and it was damn good. Now I'm trying to decide if I should read more books in the series or quit since they tend to just get worse as they go on.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm

When human colonists settled the Amarantin homeworld, few of them bothered to question the disappearance of its native population almost a million years before. But in the year 2551, one man, Dan Sylveste, is convinced that solving the riddle of the Amarantin is vital to human survival. As he nears the truth, he learns that someone wants him dead. Because the Amarantin were destroyed for a reason. And if that reason is made public, the universe—and reality itself—could be forever altered. This sprawling operatic novel ranges across vast gulfs of time and space to arrive at a terrifying conclusion.
Sounds good. I'll put that on my list. No, not that list.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!