Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Books

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Might have been sending you shit books as a joke?

GodsGift

Post by GodsGift » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Shit books are the last fucking thing I need when I'm working right now

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Who sent you L Ron Hubbard?
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:20 pm
L. Ron Hubbard is to Sci-Fi as DSP is to YouTube. He produced more of it than anyone else in history and all of it is shit.
I'd argue he's more like the Peter Coffin of science fiction
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

GodsGift

Post by GodsGift » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 am

I don't know it's some random person one of the support the troops kind of thing it's some organization that allows people to send care packages troops that are deployed to combat areas

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm

It's probably a Scientology related organisation
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:39 am

Hubbard isn't just some shmuck. He wrote the most novels a person ever wrote. Stephen King looks like a George R.R. Martin compared to Hubbard. All the shitposting on DHI couldn't hold up to the pace at which he pumped out SciFi stories.
Some day, he decided that writing, even at record pace, won't ever make him rich. The real money was in religion and he thought he'd get enough idiots to believe any old shit he could make up and make him rich. He was right. Dianetics was a MASSIVE bestseller.

I'm done reading Dune Messiah and a bit into Children of Dune. I can't agree with the overall lower opinion on Dune Messiah. It felt like the natural progression from Dune.
A funny comparison I had to think about was The Matrix. Think of how it ended. Neo is the chosen one and is practically god mode. Where do you go from there? It was a perfect ending to The Matrix and it was an overall great movie. You've seen the hero you rooted for win. But what now? You can't exactly have your hero be all perfect and obviously victorious against all opposition in the next movie/book. That won't give you a good sequel. That'll give you the Resident Evil movies.

Comparing them, Dune was the better book. But I'd defend Dune Messiah as the logical continuation of the story of Paul Astreides and I wasn't bored at any point. I binged through it in about five sessions.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Can't wait for you to get to the part where Duncan Idaho becomes the Ultimate Kwisatz Haderach.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:17 am

Well, I've just finished Children of Dune earlier today. You know, I liked Dune up to when it was revealed what Leto's Golden Path was. By that point, the talk of schemes and plans became common place. Visions were had, actions were taken. Leto looked to go and do what his father couldn't do.
Paul had his terrible purpose looming over him. Leto had his Golden Path. It's like pottery. Then it was revealed what Leto's Golden Path actually is. One moment, I'm reading along as it goes along. Entertaining and such and me wanting to find out what will happen next. I think my part on how I expect the general direction for the story to go in. Everything seems to mirror Paul's story somewhat but I know Leto want's to do stuff differently.
He is buzzed on visions, takes a walk and watches some fishes. Then he does something odd, I get some explanation on the life cycle of the sand worms and then...

...then the most RADICAL SHIT I'VE EVER READ happens! I did NOT expect that to be the Golden Path! It's so weird that I can't help but fucking love it!
The balls on Frank Herbert! Here you have Dune, a great book. Very agreeable to everyone. There you have Dune Messiah, very bold, sure to piss off some people and so it did, by showing what happened after the events of Dune. I didn't really understand the fuzz. Paul was never a perfect hero and it was a logical continuation without being obvious.
Children of Dune. Bruh! It was kinda uncomfortable at the beginning. I didn't get where it was going. It picks up shortly after that. Then I found out it strung me along and played me like a goddamn fiddle.

I've already started on the fourth book. Leto II, my man. I can't believe you went there. This is fucking outrageously awesome. I've had people marvel at me not watching movies and nobody having the iron balls to do shit like that is exactly the reason I don't care for them. Imagine how a cinema audience would react to what the Golden Path asks of Leto. It's so absurd.
Shit's so rad it would fuck your average popcorn muncher up.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 am

I didn't know the Lost world novel was decent and had a smart ending that was the perfect ending to the franchise until i looked it up today
Edit: Any books about History any of you would recommend? It's a subject i like to read about
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm currently at Dune Chapterhouse. So far it's by far the worst of the Dune books. The writing style is notably different as well. It's the last Dune book he wrote before he died and it reads a lot like he was rushing to finish it before he keeled over.
In general, the premise of the second trilogy having to do so much with fucking comes off as silly at best, if not retarded.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!