Anybody here watch Vikings?

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
AngrySpoonySnob

Anybody here watch Vikings?

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Man that show fell off hard.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

JL Unlimited

Re: Anybody here watch Vikings?

Post by JL Unlimited » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:44 pm

What do you mean? They might win the Super Bowl this season.

Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm
You're a bunch of monkeys dancing for shekels. Dance and keep your pie holes shut, monkeys. Your dumbass opinions aren't wanted and aren't valid.

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 pm

I watched one episode and thought "meh."
Is Spoony dead yet?

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:08 pm

I watched the majority of season 1 and even in season 1 I was losing my shit with how inaccurate it was. The costuming was fucking awful, they messed up all the religious stuff trying to crib from >muh native americans< and the storylines were straight out of Game of Normies.

I would have much rather seen some kind of historically accurate or at least believable characters, customs and costuming. Something like the independent Beowulf film made a few years ago. Not the CGI one, but the one filmed on-location with costumes from museums and horses local to that region.

No joke, the viking manga is better. Vinland Saga. It's more historically accurate.

BTW vikings were just raiders. All this fetishizing them makes the stories LESS interesting. The most common weapons and armor of the viking were the most common weapons and armor for EVERYONE from the iron age until the 15th century. Spear, shield, sidearm and some kind of mail armor or brigandine. GG.

That's even true for samurai btw, except add in bows. Samurai armor is just a type of brigandine or plate, depending on the style and period. Katana was just a fucking sidearm, exactly as the viking sword was. Fighting axes are not unique either-they most likely filled a similar role to the seax or long knife as a generic sidearm for anyone who couldn't afford a sword.

Oh, and being dirty and covered in shit has never been fashionable in any period of history. Stop giving everyone leather biker gear and dirtying them up with grease and mud. Historical people didn't look like that. They looked like normies because they were fucking normies. Reee

https://www.q-files.com/images/pages/im ... 6p6k4a.jpg

Oh and berserkers either didn't exist or existed, but in such a sense that the term means only a champion who fights in duels. Joe Abercrombie apparently realized this in his First Law series, as the word ''berserker'' is not used for the ex-champion Logen Ninefingers. He is just called a champion and nothing else. Neither is the word viking ever used despite "northmen" appearing in the story.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Unless you're doing some sneaky or close-quarters shit, spears and similar weapons beat everything else. It's always better to be able to kill your opponent from farther away. They aren't even that hard to make and don't need a lot of iron/steel.

And I suppose keeping your clothes dirty and/or full of shit is a great way to get a wound infection.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:08 pm
No joke, the viking manga is better. Vinland Saga. It's more historically accurate.
I suppose if a mangaka is doing a story about vikings, there's a good chance he's some kind of viking otaku.

For some Western studio, it's usually just "those Medieval coast pirates with the funny helmets and beards."

(Does the show at least feature helmets that aren't those "Please yank here to break my neck" horned helmets?)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Poor man's GOT.
Burn the History Channel and the rest of cable TV with it.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:02 pm

The blonde chick is hot, but from what I've read it's another revisionist history that essentially makes her the hero and has PG-rated sex scenes.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 pm

You'd think they'd make tv shows about Boadicea, Jeanne d'Arc, or that Chinese pirate lady who who trolled both the Chinese and British Empire and actually got away with it (Ching Shih or something like that).

(I guess they won't do Jeanne because she's *Christian*...)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:23 pm

If they do, they'll make her mentally ill or something and have her manipulated by evil white priests and shit. Didn't the Besson movie do that too?

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm
Poor man's GOT.
Burn the History Channel and the rest of cable TV with it.
Uhm GOT sucks, vikings is 20 times better than GoT. Just not good either, but GoT is somewhere between garbage and vikings.

And to the others, I wasnt watching for it being historically accurate, I liked the first half season of GoT or so (after that it turned to shit) and felt this was a better and more entertaining show. The episodes always varied heavily in quality though but the first 2 / 3 seasons are amazing and feel unique.

These latter seasons are horrible though, turning into something I didnt like at all which made me quit watching GoT as well. Ill still finish this season but might just be done with tv series altogether after.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine