Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Lindsay's Liver

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:17 pm

Dave Attell had a line in his comedy act that goes "Midgets, or as I call them, floor-niggers...

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 pm

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:17 pm
Dave Attell had a line in his comedy act that goes "Midgets, or as I call them, floor-niggers...
Legitimately the funniest thing I heard all year! Especially hit me hard because I'm still occasionally cracking up about Sam Hyde calling Letty a "floor pig" and I am currently watching The Room, thinking of Lisa as a floor pig. Couldn't hit me with that shit at a better time.
I shall henceforth refer to midgets as floor niggers exclusively!
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Gendo's Ocular Dickhole

Post by Gendo's Ocular Dickhole » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:50 am

I vote for the term "midget" to be word-filtered to "floor nigger" posthaste!
CMD has unforeseen consequences...Show

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:08 pm

Alien (1979)

Yeah, Ridley Scott's Alien, who hasn't seen it? Well, I haven't, at least not in my adulthood. Aliens was the first movie I saw in the Alien franchise, I was something like 11-12 and loved it. Shortly after I saw Alien and it was somewhat disappointing, not much action at all and this time there was only one alien in the movie, how lame! My appreciation for the film grew as I got older, but it never hit me fully. As far as I remember, the last time I watched Alien was when I was 15-16 years old.

I finally decided to re-watch this and ordered the 4K version of the movie. The first hour was exactly what I remembered: a high-quality, if rather slow-paced, sci-fi film, but ultimately nothing that special. But then the alien burst through John Hurt's chest and the second half of the movie started and ohhh boyyy. The first scene that dropped my jaw to the floor was the Dallas-in-the-vents scene. Absolutely perfect use of lighting, sound effects and Jerry Goldsmith's score. The intensity of the scene continues to grow to its extreme state and the final jump scare. I did remember how that scene ended, but I couldn't remember where it came exactly, and it really scared the crap out of me! Now, that's how you make a good jump scare! You don't give any hints about it coming and when it does, you cut out of the scene and don't come back to it, you let the viewer's imagination decide what happened next. A truly masterful scene. The picture and sound of the 4K version were great, all the clinking of the chains hanging from the ceiling, the sound of water drops falling on the ground, the flashing lights, what an absolutely amazing version of this movie. This is an audiovisual horror masterpiece of the highest order. Lambert and Parker's death scene was also stunning, it is not entirely clear from the scene how the alien kills them, but the combination of the audio and the ingenious editing gives a very chilling hint for the viewer to interpret. Lambert's final cry over the walkie-talkie ended the scene masterfully.

Tight, tight, tight! Now I understand why this is widely regarded as one of the best horror movies ever made. However, I have to give a minus point for the two "it was just a cat" jump scares. 9/10

However, when it comes to the cover art..
SpoilerShow

I've seen uglier covers, but what was wrong with the original cover art? Are there any fans of this movie who like this cover better? The xenomorph in the movie doesn't look like that at all. That CGI crap would rather suit on the cover of some clown Alien Covenant movie. If you want to fight streaming and want people to actually buy these, maybe you should invest more in these covers as well.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:15 pm

SpoilerShow
I feel like they gave that poor Xenomorph a capeshit 3DPD costume treatment, making its texture unnecessarily complicated to make it more "realistic".
veris leta facies wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:08 pm
Shortly after I saw Alien and it was somewhat disappointing, not much action at all and this time there was only one alien in the movie, how lame!
That's why it's called Alien, not Aliens.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:53 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:15 pm
SpoilerShow
I feel like they gave that poor Xenomorph a capeshit 3DPD costume treatment, making its texture unnecessarily complicated to make it more "realistic".
If you mean the one on that cover, i'd say it looks like the realistic dildo that whoever is behind that abomination had just finished using.
If you mean the one in the movie, the first Xenomorph is the only one with a nigger inside:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolaji_Badejo

I believe the rest was animatronics and CGI.

When it comes to Alien, because Scott is a huge autist like Lucas, both the theatrical and director's cut versions are incomplete.
The director's cut has the "where do the eggs come from?" scene:

But Scott cuts bits of scenes and dialogues that are in the theatrical, for no good reasons other than being a Bimmy.
I've also heard that there's a scene cut from both versions (but allegedly present as extra content in either a dvd or bluray release i don't own), during which the crew listens to a disturbing audio signal from the Lovecraftian Gigerian spaceship, again removed for no reason.

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:28 am

it looks like the realistic dildo that whoever is behind that abomination had just finished using.
Not to far off from Giger's art pieces aside from Alien then :3

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:23 pm

Complicity wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:53 pm
If you mean the one in the movie, the first Xenomorph is the only one with a nigger inside:
A nigger in costume is definitely something I prefer over CGI. CGI has practically obliterated the movie magic. It was so cool in the nineties to wonder how the scenes were made with movies of the time like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. Which sections were CGI and which were practical effects. Now that everything is CGI, "everything" is possible and nothing feels like anything anymore.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:57 am

Absolutely. Practical effects like paintings, models, costumes etc integrate better into the world of the film too, since the actors have physical objects to act across. Most of the effects in movies like The Thief of Bagdad have aged extremely gracefully. Even if you can tell it's an effect or how it was done, the richness of colors and set design easily carries the imagination.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:22 am

Plus CGI encourages directors to be less subtle with shit, which is especially bad for horrorshit.
Aka the original The Thing is still miles better than The Prequel Thing.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette